Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Red Cabbage ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Red Cabbage ?

by Celia » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:21 pm

I have half a red cabbage in the fridge that needs to be used - can anyone throw an interesting recipe my way, please ? It's not a veggie I normally cook with...

Thanks, Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Red Cabbage ?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:08 pm

One of my favorite preps for cabbage is also one of the simplest.

Slice the cabbage so that it is in long thin strips. Sauté it with lots of butter, maybe 4 - 6 tablespoons. Let it cook down until it is mostly wilted. Turn the heat down to a medium setting and let it continue to cook until it starts to caramelize.

You can add caraway seeds to this, or a sprinkle of hot chile powder, or or or!
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:57 pm

Yum, Cynthia !! Thanks. That's what I'll do...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:46 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:One of my favorite preps for cabbage is also one of the simplest.

Slice the cabbage so that it is in long thin strips. Sauté it with lots of butter, maybe 4 - 6 tablespoons. Let it cook down until it is mostly wilted. Turn the heat down to a medium setting and let it continue to cook until it starts to caramelize.

You can add caraway seeds to this, or a sprinkle of hot chile powder, or or or!

HEY!!! You stole my answer. This is my favorite way to cook cabbage, too. It's also good with a mustard cream sauce.

rwj
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:27 pm

I have a recipe for red and green cabbage, carrots, cuke, cilantro, green onions, and peanuts mixed with a Thai dressing. I will post if you want it.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:35 pm

Karen, thank you, but we've got nut allergic children. Others might like it though.. :)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:10 pm

You could always just shred it and make Cole Slaw. Here is the recipe I use:

Cole Slaw Dressing

1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. mustard powder
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup EVOO
1 tbsp. celery seed

Stir ingredients to mix well. Makes 1 cup.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:11 pm

Thanks Howie. I ended up making Cynthia's cabbage au beurre with caraway AND hot chilli flakes. :) But I'll keep the coleslaw dressing for later - I loooove coleslaw ! Is celery seed the same as celery salt ?

Cheers, Celia

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:38 am

celia wrote: Is celery seed the same as celery salt ?

It's the same if you remove all the salt and ungrind the seeds. :wink:
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:34 am

Larry Greenly wrote:
celia wrote: Is celery seed the same as celery salt ?

It's the same if you remove all the salt and ungrind the seeds. :wink:
Thanks Larry :D
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:47 pm

Sigh...given the confusion we've had between US and Oz ingredients of late, I thought it prudent to ask...

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:23 pm

celia wrote:Sigh...given the confusion we've had between US and Oz ingredients of late, I thought it prudent to ask...

Celia, the seed is just that--seeds! Absolutely delicious ingredient--my mom's macaroni salad wouldn't have been the same without it, and I now liberally dose potato salads with it, too. It's also used in pickling, especially the style called Bread and Butter pickles here in the U.S. Also, it's among the variety of seeds I draw from (fennel, brown mustard, dill, caraway, and kala jheera are others) that I throw into pots of boiling artichokes--the action of the water causes the seeds to catch in the leaves and they make the whole pot extra tasty as well as adding an interesting texture to the leaves when chilled and served as a starter course with dipping sauce. Are they not used in Australia at all?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:45 pm

Probably, girlfriend. I've just not come across them before, but I'll go out hunting now. They sound delicious ! :)

I had to laugh - last night I had BBQ chicken, with Cynthia's cabbage and Linda/Howie's baked beans. Gotta love this forum !

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:53 pm

I'm a big red cabbage fan and my two ways of preparing it are the two ways that have been mentioned (sauteed and shredded for slaw/quick pickles)

However, just for inspiration, I will add that using soy sauce/ginger based marinades/dressings works well for me, as does reducing excess wine to use as a pickling liquid (clove, anise could be used for spice). That further sets the deep red color, and then a bright green herb (dill in particular) makes for a lovely presentation and great fresh crunch at a time of year when it seems that most vegetables get served soft, mushy, and long-cooked.

But wait a minute, you're in Australia? Isn't it summer there? Shouldn't you be making us all jealous with stories of fresh tomatoes? :D
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:25 pm

Rahsaan wrote:But wait a minute, you're in Australia? Isn't it summer there? Shouldn't you be making us all jealous with stories of fresh tomatoes? :D

Well, fresh tomatoes ARE delicious at the moment, but today it's cool and bucketing with rain. Unpredictable summer weather for this side of the world... :)

Thanks for the suggestions !

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial