Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Recipe organization

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Nick Stevens

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:27 pm

Recipe organization

by Nick Stevens » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:50 pm

A silly question, but I have recipies all over my house and on various websites (such as epicurious). Does anyone have a simple way of organizing them, either online or in a book form?
..... my cellar treasures, from vintages 2001 and 2004.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Recipe organization

by Howie Hart » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:55 pm

Whenever I find a recipe I want to keep, I copy the contents of the recipe and paste it into a MSWord document and save it in a sub-folder in "My Documents" called "Recipes". I do this frequently with recipes posted here. That way I can easily print a copy and take it into the kitchen with me and not worry about spilling EVOO and flour all over it.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:26 pm

Nick Stevens wrote:Does anyone have a simple way of organizing them, either online or in a book form?

This probably wouldn't work for everyone, but when I make a dish I really like, I usually publish it in my weekly food Eletter, which keeps it in the online archives.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:53 pm

I keep my recipes in a dedicated Google Mail account as individual e-mails I send to myself from a different account.

The benefits to me of doing this are:

I can access my recipes from any Internet connected computer, so I always have my favorites handy when visiting friends or relatives, or when discussing one with the chef at work;

I can apply as many different labels to one recipe as I like - i.e. mains, vegetarian, pasta, Italian, Robin Garr - so looking under any of those labels will bring up the recipe I am thinking of, but the name of which I can't remember;

I can print it out and take it with me to the grocery store so I can buy the ingredients, even if I decide while I am at work that I want to make it that evening (see access above);

I can copy and paste it to post to my food/wine e-mail discussion list, or here, or send to a friend who loved it when I made it for them;

Google Mail has powerful and fast search capabilities if I have no idea at all about the details of the recipe but remember, say, two ingredients;

and Google Mail comes with TONS of space.

Obviously I must spend the time to initially key them in if from a book, or magazine article, but I just copy and paste if from e-mail or forum.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:25 am

Cynthia's method sounds terrific - way more advanced than mine.

In "my documents" I have a folder titled "recipes." Open that, and I have individual folders, which I create as needed. "Pasta - vegetarian" "desserts" "side dishes" "holiday meals" etc
When I come across a recipe I want to save, I right click, open a new text doc, paste the recipe and save, then either put it in the relevant folder, if it exists, or create a new one, if it doesn't.

Since I rarely cook from recipes, I spend more time organizing them than I actually do using them.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:42 pm

I memorize them.

rwj
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:06 pm

Robert J. wrote:I memorize them.

rwj
Yeah, but what will happen when you get old and uh, ummm, .... :?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:19 pm

I stop eating.

rwj
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:47 pm

I print mine out and throw em' into one gigantic pile in one of the cabinets. Every 7-8 months I wade through the pile and throw out the ones I was going to try for one reason or another, but never got around to it...and can't figure out why I wanted to try it in the first place.

In short...no organization at all.

Richard
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:59 pm

I'm low-tech. Think 3-ring binders and file folders. I like to peruse paper while reclining on my couch.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:42 pm

Moi aussi, I print them off the computer or cut them out of a magazine, and put them in a big ring folder filled with clear plastic sleeves.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial