Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

New Zealand Herbs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

New Zealand Herbs

by Robert J. » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:14 pm

When working with herbs from New Zealand it desirable to be very careful. For instance, Horopito looks kind of like dried oregano but if handled with bare hands it will stain a very ugly yellow color. This stain will last for about a week.

2226920829_803fd36598.jpg

I am on day two.

rwj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: New Zealand Herbs

by Sue Courtney » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:47 am

Robert J. wrote:When working with herbs from New Zealand it desirable to be very careful.

Robert, Is this 100% dried Horpito leaves, or a rub with other ingredients in it.
Oh, and what other '_erbs' do you get from New Zealand?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:35 am

100% horopito, Sue. I had the great pleasure of working with Chef Charles P.T. Royal the other night (see My Life in Pictures). We also used a lot of kawakawa for shortbread, tea, and general seasoning. Let's see, there was also piripiri, pikopiko (fiddle head fern), and another that eludes me but was used to make this hot-as-fire sauce that I just loved. It was a culinary experience like no other. And Chef Royal was one of the nicest fellows you could ever want to meet.

In many ways the food was kind of bland as his recipes did not call for much salt. In fact, his bread recipes did not use any salt. I don't know much about Maori food but it seemed to be a cuisine with a lot of aboriginal heritage and some British influence (we did a boiled pudding). I found the Harangi vegetables (smoked root veggies and cabbage) to be quite agreeable.

rwj
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:33 pm

Robert J. wrote:100% horopito, Sue. I had the great pleasure of working with Chef Charles P.T. Royal the other night (see My Life in Pictures). We also used a lot of kawakawa for shortbread, tea, and general seasoning. Let's see, there was also piripiri, pikopiko (fiddle head fern), and another that eludes me but was used to make this hot-as-fire sauce that I just loved. It was a culinary experience like no other. And Chef Royal was one of the nicest fellows you could ever want to meet.

In many ways the food was kind of bland as his recipes did not call for much salt. In fact, his bread recipes did not use any salt. I don't know much about Maori food but it seemed to be a cuisine with a lot of aboriginal heritage and some British influence (we did a boiled pudding). I found the Harangi vegetables (smoked root veggies and cabbage) to be quite agreeable.

rwj

Hey Robert - that's great.
Cuisine with aboriginal heritage - that's the first time I have heard that comparison. We were taught 'polynesian' heritage at school.

Pikopiko fiddle heads - the problem with these in most restaurants is they are overcooked. I compare them to overcooked asparagus or beans (or any green). They are so good when freshly picked and streamed and are a vivid bright green on the serving plate - but so often I have had them and they are a dull greeny-grey. Although the Maori bread with Pikopiko fronds does look attractive. Were the pikopikos you used a dried product?

I think kawakawa, horopito and piripiri are the only 'herbs', certainly the only ones that Charles Royal's company makes. Horopito (pepper tree) is the hot one.
Perhaps you had a chilli-infused kelp (kerengo).

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:39 pm

Sue
The Kiwifruits shop in London does a nice little line in NZ herbs / seeds, packaged in a thick cardboard 'postcard'. One time I picked up the Hebe, Tea Tree and Cabbage tree seeds. Yet to try the herbs but will check them out when there next. I do use an NZ 'pepper rub' in cooking, but suspect it may not be made up of much 'native' herbs.
I must admit I've enjoyed some of the Aussie native herbs - Pepperberry in particular is perhaps similar to Juniper, but less bitter and more tasty to my palate.Their native mint is excellent and some of the others good as well.
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:43 pm

Sue, I think that the fiddle heads were dried (I didn't work with them that night but tried to keep and eye on what Charles was doing). I am at work right now and will try and remember to grab the recipes so I can tell you what the hot sauce was.

The more I think about his food, the more it grows on me. The flavors were very subtle. Many people that night did not like the food but I think that Americans tend to rely on salt waaaayyyyy too much. Anyway, they are going to be fun recipes to play with down the road. I really enjoyed working with him.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:30 pm

The hot stuff was a Piripiri sauce. It had horopito in it. Man, it was good.

rwj