Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Citrus or other fruit fave?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Citrus or other fruit fave?

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:45 pm

The navel orange thread begs the question: what is your favorite citrus fruit? Or, if you prefer, what's your favorite fruit?

In the citrus family, I love grapefruits the best (and I'm glad I'm not on Lipitor). And, lucky me. A local market had Texas red grapefruit on sale for 8/$1. I tried eight and they were so sweet and juicy, I went back and bought 32 more for the princely sum of $4.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Citrus or other fruit fave?

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:50 pm

Lemons for cooking and flavoring, Satsuma Mandarins, peaches, strawberries, grapefruit, and tomatoes for eating. If I had to pick just one - I could not!
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:32 pm

Grapefruit and, of course, the navel orange take the top spots. Honorable mention goes to apples (pies and baked), pineapple and bananas.

Like Karen said, it's hard to pick just one, and I'm not that much of a fruit eater. Sparked by the thread on pomegranate juice and some research into it's health benefits, we are now drinking that pricey beverage.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:41 pm

Which grocery store was that, Larry?

Among citrus, in order:

clementines, grapefruit, tangelos, oranges, limes, lemons, all the rest

Among all fruit, kinda sorta in order:

cherries, berries of all kinds, apricots, peaches, pears, pineapple, mango, citrus or apples, plums, kiwi, bananas

Although really, my favorite fruit is whatever I happen to have on hand. I adore it all. I crave it in the winter and the summer.... I don't eat anywhere near as much in the spring or autumn for some reason. :?
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:14 pm

I like so many kinds of fruit, citrus and other, that I couldn't begin to pick out a favorite. But, a juicy mango, a tart grapefruit, a Clementine, a handful of sweet blueberries right off the bush, a ripe persimmon, all have my taste buds going "more, more!". :wink:
Then there is that most luscious, juicy, sweet perfection that is a fresh-from-the-tree Georgia peach, that is perfection in a fuzzy skin. Bite into one, and wipe the juice from your chin. Can it get any better than that? 8)
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:12 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Which grocery store was that, Larry?

The new Sunshine Mkt at Lomas and San Mateo. I believe the price is good thru Wed and possibly longer.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:41 pm

Right now it is the Kishu mandarin. When they go out of season it will be blood oranges and grapefruits.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:25 am

Larry Greenly wrote:The navel orange thread begs the question: what is your favorite citrus fruit? Or, if you prefer, what's your favorite fruit?

In the citrus family, I love grapefruits the best (and I'm glad I'm not on Lipitor). And, lucky me. A local market had Texas red grapefruit on sale for 8/$1. I tried eight and they were so sweet and juicy, I went back and bought 32 more for the princely sum of $4.

I'm with you on this one Larry. My fav has to be Texas Ruby Red grapefruit.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:39 am

Am I the only one who prefers the tart white grapefruit over the sweeter red or pink ones? :?:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:17 am

I like 'em all and I eat them like orange, as opposed to when I was a kid and used a spoon and lots of sugar.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:55 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:Am I the only one who prefers the tart white grapefruit over the sweeter red or pink ones? :?:

No, I totally agree. In fact, I'm such a grapefruit snob that I sniff the ends of them and select only those that really exude a distinct grapefruit/white pepper aroma. I love tart white and am not particularly impressed by red/pink at all. This has been a lousy year for Florida white grapefruit, by the way.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:04 am

Larry Greenly wrote:The navel orange thread begs the question: what is your favorite citrus fruit? Or, if you prefer, what's your favorite fruit?

I'm the same way about fruit as I am about vegetables. I know it's good for me, and I just wish it excited me more. I tend to eat fruit more out of duty than joy.

But of course I can still rank them. :)

Citrus: Tart white Florida grapefruit (as mentioned in reply to Robert). Satsuma mandarins specifically, although I would love to have a chance to try those tiny Kishu mandarins). Lemons (especially Meyer lemons) and limes for cooking and drinks, although probably not for eating out of hand. I'm not crazy about regular oranges, though, and I don't like tangerine varieties with a lot of seeds.

Other: I think fresh ripeness is more important to me than particular species. Fresh Eastern peaches in season are probably my No. 1 favorite fruit, but I can't even look at a rock-hard, well-traveled winter peach. I can eat fresh figs by the dozen, but the season is short. I'm good with ripe and juicy kiwis and just about any kind of berry, but again, the out-of-season fruit isn't inspiring. Ditto cherries and plums. Fresh ripe pears, yes. Hard ones, no. Pineapple, meh. Bananas are the natural fruit with the artificial flavor. Grapes? I'm with the French gourmand who allegedly said, "I am not accustomed to taking my wine in pills." And call me un-American, but I've never met an apple that really made me want to go back for a second bite.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:41 am

The development we live in in California is a former citrus grove. We have probably 12 grapefruit trees on our property. About half are the sweet red variety. Unfortunately, neither of us likes it (in fact, I have a traumatic childhood memory involving a somewhat 'forced' tasting of it). Whenever friends come over the first thing we ask is, "Do you like grapefruit? -- Here, let us fill up a bag for you."

For eating plain, I prefer juicy navel oranges. For cooking, it would be lemons. They are so versitile and I just love lemon flavored "anything."

Speaking of grapefruit trees, does anyone know why the landscapers paint the trunks white? Around here, the all are and we've heard every explanation from-- "it keeps their trunks cooler in the winter" to it being some kind of pesticide. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:54 am

Arrrrrrgggghhhh. If only I lived near you. Grapefruit ripened on a tree....there's nothing better.

I believe the white trunks is to prevent sun scald in the winter.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:35 am

Yeah, it's seasonal. Cherries are my big summer weakness, with strawberries coming in a close second. Chiramoya with fresh-squeezed orange juice is a treat I never miss when I'm in South America (the domestic chiramoyas I've had are mediocre). Tree-ripe apricots, which are fairly impossible to find, are like heaven.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:56 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Tree-ripe apricots, which are fairly impossible to find, are like heaven.

We have several ancient apricot trees on our property at work. I love love love them.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:05 pm

They grow fruit in New Mexico?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:09 pm

Why wouldn't they, Stuart?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:01 pm

Random attacks from Gila monsters.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:10 pm

Gruet makes some of the finest domestic bubbly I have tasted. He grows those grapes in Albuquerque, NM.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:40 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:Am I the only one who prefers the tart white grapefruit over the sweeter red or pink ones? :?:

Nope, they're my favorite too. But I don't think of white grapefruit as tarter, just more complex.

To answer Larry's question, though, I love ALL fruit. But at the top of the list: green perlette grapes, cherries, and tree-ripened yellow peaches and apricots pretty much trump all the rest.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:25 pm

Peaches and pears, provided they've been ripened properly, on a tree.
I also love a good, sweet pineapple.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:48 am

Robert J. wrote:Gruet makes some of the finest domestic bubbly I have tasted. He grows those grapes in Albuquerque, NM.

rwj

Gruet does make great bubbly, but the grapes are grown in southern NM.

We also have apple orchards, Stuart. And I'm with you about cherimoyas. Love 'em.
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:15 pm

If I had to pick one favorite fruit, I suppose it would be blueberries. Large, sweet blueberries from Chile are currently available at Costco, so for breakfast/brunch today I had a bowl of sliced banana with blueberries, topped with a dollop of vanilla yogurt. Very yummy and healthy. In the citrus family I would choose juicy naval oranges as my favorite.
Next