Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

How would you love to live your life, if you could?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

How would you love to live your life, if you could?

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:36 pm

In the post about what started our love of cooking, Paul said,
I have always been a city dwelling country dweller wannabe
so this got me to thinking about our lives and if we could afford a lifestyle and could change everything, how/ where would you like to live? Would you still cook all your meals?

Here is my wish:
Because of our ages and if we could afford all this here is what I'd love to do. Build a Lindel Cedar log home, on a hill over looking a river and valley, and a medium size city, somewhere with four seasons and a mild climate all year long. With my staff, I'd raise all my own food, be off the grid, totally self-reliant, own horses, dogs and cats, all very spoiled. I could take trips when I wanted, because our reliable staff would care for our home, land and animals. I would plan our weekly meals, perhaps cook several times a week, but staff would clean up.
A beautiful Farmer's Market would be year round, and I would shop there exclusively, for produce, meats, breads, and anything that we did not grow or raise on our land, or to supplement what we had.
I'd love to invite school children out in the spring to see our baby animals, garden and the children would have a piece of land on which to grow. Our children/grandchildren would be picked up by our pilot and private plane and be able to spend more time with us in our paradise. We'd have a fishing pond for them large enough to take a small boat out.
Our staff would stay with us for years and as we got older and frail, they would care for us lovingly and honestly until God needed us in heaven.
Oh yes, my staff would be multi-cultural and teach me many things about cooking from their native lands, customs, etc.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: How would you love to live your life, if you could?

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:24 pm

I'd take a large hand-hewn log home with a huge glass front looking at snow-capped mountains, on at least 5,000 acres, the whole of which would be a wi-fi hot zone. There would be orchards, veggie gardens, trout in the stream, deer to hunt, wildflowers to photograph, and a jet to take me to sunny beaches whenever I wanted. I would have someone to run any errands that required a trip to any city larger than Mayberry, so I wouldn't have to set foot in one again. And no mosquitos to pester me if I wanted to work on an all-over tan. (Not that I tan, I just go from pale to burned.)
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:08 pm

Wonderful Robert, a really neat guy's point of view.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:48 am

Hmm...a hard question, because I have to say I'm pretty contented with my life, particularly foodwise.

I guess if I was dreaming, I'd take a bigger version of my existing kitchen, add a walk-in coolroom for storing breadflour and 10kg bags of dark chocolate callets, and put it all in a house up on a cliff, overlooking the ocean. Big panoramic windows, and a view you'd never get tired of looking at. I'd have to own lots of land around it too, so that all my friends could move in nearby, and when we got old, we'd just convert the whole thing to a retirement village, and bring in staff to look after us all.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:57 am

Fun question, Karen.
Like Celia, its also difficult because my life is pretty darned idyllic. However, I sometimes envision myself in a cozy apartment (up a few flights of steps) in a small European village. I'd get my veggies from a farmer's stand, meat from the butcher shop, bread from the bakery, and everyone would greet me warmly when I showed up. You get the picture! :) My apartment would probably not have a TV, but a nice stereo and the most comfortable oversized chair with down-filled pillows positioned near a sunny window for reading.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:27 am

Yes, I would still cook for myself, no matter what, but if money were not a restriction, I'd have better tools. A dedicated set of wok stations, big stainless steel sinks, wood-burning pizza oven, big granite counters, a walk-in refrigerator.

Of course, I'd have to have at least two houses, one in each hemisphere, so that I could have good tomatoes in January.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:40 am

I'd live in a valley, preferably in wine growing region, with great year round weather.
I'd want to live close to a big city, but not too close. Someplace with terrific restaurants, near the ocean, with lots of recreational choices.

Hey. Wait a minute..........
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 pm

Just like the bohemian that I am.

rwj
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:41 pm

I would want to rule no one's roost. I would want no one to rule my roost. Quiet serenity communing with nature blended with wide-eyed observation of the activities of humankind. No job, for sure. Much planting, growing and nurturing. I'd like to be on the outside looking in, tentatively dipping a toe now and again into the roiling sea of society.
And now what?
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:41 pm

I'd close the Memphis Culinary Academy and escape from that stifling environment.

I'd move to wine country in Oregon and get a hillside in the Amity-Eola Hills covered with old oaks and firs, with a view of the Coastal Range, a Christmas tree farm, and cows grazing alongside goats. I'd have a large vegetable garden and just cook every day for just a couple of people instead of dozens and dozens.

I'd get up early in the morning, make coffee and then go outside watch the sun come over the hills as the very pleasant fog dissipated.

Spring through fall I'd play in the vegetable garden.

I'd then go back inside, do the NYT crossword online and write novels all day until it was time to drink whiskey and/or wine and cook dinner.

A couple of times per month I'd drive into Portland and teach cooking seminars for a few interested folks.

In other words, I've done it. And it was a big break with my past. I love it.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm

by Ron C » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:13 pm

A common misconception that people have is that more money equals more happiness. It isn't true. Enough said, I think.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:56 pm

It's ok, we're all only playing, Ron, don't take it too seriously. :)

I agree with you, I don't know that more money equates to happiness, I actually think the two things are pretty mutually exclusive once you pass a certain comfort level. I'm not as convinced that more time doesn't equate to happiness, although I'm sure someone will now tell me that time IS money... :wink:
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:30 am

How would I live my life?

In a fully landscaped home on a pine covered hill overlooking the ocean. The kitchen and living room would afford fantastic views. Honey-stained pinewood planks would dominate the ceiling, walls and floors. A granite top kitchen with an island in the middle would accent the stainless steel sink, stove, and kitchen appliances. The spacious livingroom's fireplace would be river rock from floor to ceiling. Four huge bedrooms including a Master Suite with a wet bar, huge walk in closet, a two sink bathroom with a river rock grotto leading to the shower with a sauna off to the side. All would be lighted with inset ceiling accent lights on dimmer switches. A multimedia stereo system with huge speakers along with ceiling speakers throughout the house with some kick-ass sound.

Straight Ahead Jazz would be playing constantly. Classical Baroque Trumpet for the morning repast would be a must.

A redwood deck surrounds the outside of the house and the outdoor kitchen highlights the Jacuzzi.

The temperature controlled 400 bottle wine cellar would be downstairs next to the subterranean 4-car garage and the Cable TV/movie screening room which seats 50.

A fully appointed 2-bedroom Mother-in-Law with a kitchen would be available for visitors out in the beautifully landscaped backyard with beach access and stunning views.

Most of all, it would include my Wife....my Forever Partner.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:53 am

Then I woke up. :(
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:42 am

I've been trying to think about what to change.

If I could think of anything, I'd change it.

Or try to.

Been there, did that.

Probably will again.

So far, it's been a great journey.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:05 pm

celia wrote:It's ok, we're all only playing, Ron, don't take it too seriously. :)

I agree with you, I don't know that more money equates to happiness, I actually think the two things are pretty mutually exclusive once you pass a certain comfort level. I'm not as convinced that more time doesn't equate to happiness, although I'm sure someone will now tell me that time IS money... :wink:

I'm a CPA, of course time is money! :roll:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm

by Ron C » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:20 pm

Celia- I do suppose I sound a bit like a party-pooper. That I did never even crossed my mind when I wrote that. Egg on my face. :oops:
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:25 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Yes, I would still cook for myself, no matter what, but if money were not a restriction, I'd have better tools. A dedicated set of wok stations, big stainless steel sinks, wood-burning pizza oven, big granite counters, a walk-in refrigerator.

Of course, I'd have to have at least two houses, one in each hemisphere, so that I could have good tomatoes in January.

Wouldn't that be four houses? :?
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:43 pm

Not from how I understand "hemi" to be defined. but hey, as long as I'm dreaming, why not? Maybe NZ, Italy, and Chile, in addition to the Bay Area.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:40 pm

Ron C wrote:That I did never even crossed my mind when I wrote that.

Nah, don't worry about it, and having seen your photos of the Great Lakes, I can understand that it would be hard to improve your surroundings !! :)

Cheers, Celia

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:41 pm

I'm a simple man and do not require much in the material sense but as long as we are asked to dream...

I'd like a simple, modest home boardering Chateau Jenise so I could stumble there and invite myself in for Bordeaux and avocado on toast at all hours. Also, a dwelling next door to Mike F. so we could watch Packer games in his home, eat brats, drink beer and not have to worry about driving afterwards. And a house next to Hoke would probably be necessary for those times when I want to go for a swim and drink really, really immature Pinot Noir. Maybe a cottage next to Yaniger's place so I could invite myself over when he has his annual Playboy Bunny parties. But my primary residence would be next door to *C*. I would call it "The Port House".
Last edited by Dave R on Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:25 pm

Woohooo !!! Look who's here !! How've you been, Dave ? It's been an age..

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:53 pm

celia wrote:Woohooo !!! Look who's here !! How've you been, Dave ? It's been an age..

It feels good to be back. Kinda like putting on an old, comfortable flannel shirt.