Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Herbed Roasted butternut squash on toast- appetizer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

RCP: Herbed Roasted butternut squash on toast- appetizer

by Howard » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:29 pm

The herbs and roasted butternut squash make a very good combination in an appetizer. It's rich without being heavy and just enough to make you want more. I used turkey bacon because one of our guests doesn't eat pork but I still wanted the smokey salty garnish. This went very well with a crisp lemony/minerally French Chablis.

Makes probably 70 or so appetizers but I only served 36 with loads of puree leftover. I think I'll thin the leftover puree to make soup today.

1 butternut squash
6-7 fresh sage leaves
2 thyme sprigs
1 small branch rosemary
Olive oil
2 tbl butter- melted
1/4 cup whipping cream
3-4 more sage leaves
1 tsp thyme chopped
1 tsp rosemary leaves chopped
s&P
2 strips turkey bacon - fried until crisp and diced
1 small diameter baguette - sliced thin

Preheat oven to 450 F

Peel and cube the squash. Chop the sage thyme leaves and rosemary leaves. Toss everything with olive oil. Add a little sea salt and pepper and roast at 450 for 1/2 hour or 45 minutes until the squash begins to caramelize and little spots of brown appear. Toss once or twice during the roasting.

Put the roasted squash into a food processor with 2 tbl melted butter and 1/4 cup cream. Chop up some more thyme, rosemary, and sage and add it to the processor. Process until smooth and thick. Slice the baguette thin, toast slices and brush with olive oil. Can do all of this the day before serving.

Put a teaspoon or so of the puree on each slice and sprinkle with the bacon bits. Place in a hot oven or under the broiler for just a minute or two to bring out the flavors and serve.
Howard
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: RCP: Herbed Roasted butternut squash on toast- appetizer

by Bill Spohn » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:44 pm

Sounds great - don't know whether it would be better on toast or as soup - I do a very similar Kubocha based soup!

The flavour of bacon certainly goes very well with squash.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:42 pm

Howard, would you follow up on this thread describing what you do with the left over puree to make the soup. Winter has definitely arrived in Kentucky, and this soup sounds like a hearty soup made for winter. Thanks.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:07 am

Bill Spohn wrote:... The flavour of bacon certainly goes very well with squash.
I've never had this combination and it sounds tempting. Has anyone ever simply roasted acorn squash with a slice of bacon on it? I may try it. :?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:54 pm

Howie,
I am think that even better might be to take several slices of bacon, dicing it small and filling the squash cavity with the bacon, or if one prefers some ham in place of bacon. Might be the start of something new. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:20 pm

I had in mind slicing the acorn squash into 8-12 wedges (depending on size) and laying one slice of bacon on top of each wedge. I may try it tomorrow. I have an acorn squash staring at me from the kitchen.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.