Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Homemade "brown and serve" rolls?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Homemade "brown and serve" rolls?

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:08 am

Okay, this seems simple enough: We're making dinner rolls to take to a Thankgiving dinner tomorrow, and it seems like a good idea to form them, bake them until they rise and just get firm, then take them out, let them cool, and finish them in a preheated oven at our destination so they come out hot and "oven-fresh."

I can't see any reason why this shouldn't work, but ... have any of you actually tried this or something like it? Any hints or tips?
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Homemade "brown and serve" rolls?

by John Tomasso » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:30 am

La Brea has made millions with a similar process - par baked bread. Only they freeze the bread after the par baking.
Your method should work fine.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:56 am

That's exactly what I'm doing with my rolls, Robin. I'll make them later today, then pop 'em into baggies and refrigerate until tomorrow's dinnertime.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:50 pm

A tip: place a layer of foil over the rolls while they're baking to prevent them from browning on your first home bake.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:05 am

Robin, I think this will work, but not if you're using sourdough starter. I've tried it with normal yeast and it works fine - I parbake, and then freeze them, and then finish them in the oven later. I know it's probably a bit late now, but let me know if you want me to dig up the recipe. I'm not sure how they'll work if you don't freeze them inbetween - they might go stale ? I've also read that you should store bread in the freezer and not the fridge - apparently they go stale in the fridge, but not in the freezer, though I've never understood why...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:53 pm

Where's dinner today, Robin?

I am not cooking a lick.

It's my birthday and ...well, let's just say, 4 is not the crowd I adore cooking for....I need a bout 20 more people...

So we did breakfast at the beach...started the day with some champagne...a nap was part of the day...and..oh, well, I will cook a pumpkin pie, although I won't be using the pie pumpkins for that today...maybe another day.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:05 pm

Barb Freda wrote:Where's dinner today, Robin?

I am not cooking a lick.

It's my birthday and ...well, let's just say, 4 is not the crowd I adore cooking for....I need a bout 20 more people...

So we did breakfast at the beach...started the day with some champagne...a nap was part of the day...and..oh, well, I will cook a pumpkin pie, although I won't be using the pie pumpkins for that today...maybe another day.

Hey, Barb! Happy birthday! Dang, I knew that ...

We generally get an invitation over to some old friends of Mary's who live in the Highlands and let us horn in on their extended family celebration. I bring wine, all's well. Leaving in just a few, as a matter of fact.

I don't cook a lick either (Mary made the brown'n'serve rolls) ...

Enjoy the rest of your day!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:49 am

Barb, happy birthday!