Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hate carving the turkey?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TimMc

Hate carving the turkey?

by TimMc » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:40 am

I do.

Any suggestions to make this annual ritual just a little bit easier on us Philistines?

Tanx!

Tim
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Hate carving the turkey?

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:17 am

I do the method where you sit the bird down on its back with the breast up. I was going to try to describe this, but it's not easy. I found a site with illustrations here.

Only difference for me is that I sometimes take the entire breast off by slicing right at the breastbone and following down along the ribcage. I think you get a little more of the breast meat that way, but it's harder to do with a larger turkey.

My ex-grandfather-in-law was a meat cutter who had some real pride in how he did this stuff. Once he showed me how to do it, it greatly improved my technique.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:19 pm

TimMc wrote:Any suggestions to make this annual ritual just a little bit easier on us Philistines?

The last couple of weeks I've seen a couple of different folks carving by laying off the whole breast and rather than thin slicing along it (sort of how you'd do it if it was still on the bone), actually carving thicker, ~3/4" slices, across the breast. To me it looks like this would retain moisture a little better with the additional benefit of each piece getting a some of that nice crispy skin, as well. I'm going to give this a try next time around.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:38 pm

I just love hacking away at things with knives. Hack, hack, hack.

Seriously, though, remove the legs and thighs by pulling them away. Then remove the breast in one piece by cutting or pulling it from the back. Use your knife to slice the meat away from each side of the breast in one piece. Then cut those pieces against the grain. Pull the meat away from the thigh and leg bones. Flip the carcass over and pull any meat away from the shoulders and back. And don't forget those super tender and tasty "oysters" just behind the thighs on the back.

rwj
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:00 pm

no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:18 pm

Thanks, Guys.

I struggle with the carving chores every year....the diagrams and video were most helpful.

With luck, I'll get it right this time. :D
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:08 pm

no avatar
User