Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Breville appliances

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Breville appliances

by Jenise » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:09 pm

Does anyone own or has anyone used any Breville appliances? Anyone who watched Top Chef last season knows all about the blender--the design seems quite intelligent, and a big step up from the way things used to work. I kinda thought that machine was all they do, but the Williams Sonoma catalog shows a stick blender and one or two other things, so apparently they are creating an entire line. If they work anywhere near as good as they look--very contemporary, all stainless with gray-black rubber and plastic--it might be time to replace our old Osters.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Re: Breville appliances

by Celia » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:34 pm

Jenise, Breville is an Australian company with a website here.

They're pretty middle of the range in terms of price and quality, though I've had more success with other brands such as Sunbeam. Last Christmas we were given a Breville toaster. Within the first few months, it was faulty and been replaced twice, and the third time we just took it back to the department store and bought a different brand. I believe, but am not sure, that most of their stuff is now made in China.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:45 pm

I thought that everything was made in China.

rwj
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:07 pm

Jenise,

The very same question crossed my mind as I was thumbing through the latest catalog last night ! I was a bit covetous of the stick blender myself.
In years past I wanted one of everything but now I peruse it mainly for the presentation style and any really new food and gadget ideas. I rarely buy anything anymore - there is a local WS store.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:11 pm

I'm not sure how they're positioning themselves in the US, but over here in Australia, they're pretty much pari passu with Sunbeam, both in quality and pricing. As I said, I personally find Sunbeam to be more reliable overall.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:53 pm

Celia, which toaster did you have? We have this one >> http://www.brevilleusa.com/products/ct75xl/index.jsp?sku=ct75xl&cID=115&pID=15&pvID=15
We love it. Looks smart and toasts beautifully.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:59 pm

Carrie, we had the Ikon toaster. The LCD display broke three times on three different toasters ! Nearly drove me mad ! The first two times, they gave us a brand new toaster, it would work for a couple of weeks, and then the LCD display would break again. Breville didn't think it was a design fault, so I guess they must have thought it was a coincidence or something. Anyway, in the end, they told me they wouldn't refund my money, and I had to take it back to the department store, which I did (after I found my receipt..groan).
Last edited by Celia on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:59 pm

Hmm. I guess that's the same one we have. We'll watch out for that problem with ours. So far so good. (Knocking on wood.)
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:19 pm

Carrie, it might not be the same, I think ours was a two slice toaster, not a four slice one. It might well have a been a batch problem too, since Breville were insisting it wasn't a design flaw ! I have to agree with you though...they DID look nice...sigh...

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:34 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Celia, which toaster did you have? We have this one >> http://www.brevilleusa.com/products/ct75xl/index.jsp?sku=ct75xl&cID=115&pID=15&pvID=15
We love it. Looks smart and toasts beautifully.

I bought this toaster a few months ago. We really like it. Good looking, two large slits which each will hold two large bread slices or a bagel cut in half, (both halves). It also has a bagel button, defrost and a custom cook dial. A lift up handle lets you look at the toast without disturbing the toasting process. I bought it based on research, reviews and our needs.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:40 pm

I'm always fascinated with how things are modified for use in different countries. Our toaster was this one - as you can see, it's a much smaller one than the one you're all talking about. And you have a bagel setting, whereas we had a crumpet setting. :)

I wouldn't worry, Carrie, sounds like your model isn't going to be a problem !

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:04 pm

celia wrote: And you have a bagel setting, whereas we had a crumpet setting. :)

That's cute. Somehow a crumpet setting sounds more dignified. 8)