Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The Best Brussels Sprouts Dish Ever

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

The Best Brussels Sprouts Dish Ever

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:17 am

Sorry to be obsessive about those little green crucifers, but the Gordon Ramsey Bubble and Squeak cakes got me thinking. They were very nice, but not quite excellent. Much experimentation ensued, some of which I posted before.

By the time we were done, there was little left of Ramsey. Ah, well.

Here's the basics: Take small Brussels Sprouts, trim them, shred them finely, then add salt, pepper, and a few pinches of ground caraway seed. Heat a nonstick skillet and add a generous amount of butter. Immediately before frying, grate a slightly larger proportion of Yukon Gold potatoes into the sprouts, then mix well. Without waiting, form patties and fry in the butter. Brown both sides, then remove to drain. Plate, top with some soft chevre and either salmon roe or Caviart. Worked superbly with a nice white Burgundy.Image
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: The Best Brussels Sprouts Dish Ever

by Rahsaan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:59 am

I'm sure it was tasty, but after all the preparation I'm not sure that qualifies as a brussels sprouts dish anymore. Sounds like latkes with a slight twist if you ask me. But, worth thinking about as a way to move brussels sprouts into the hedonistic realm.

Not the same as tomato paella but hey, we can't live in the past can we...
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:04 am

It really was all about the sprouts. That was the center of the flavors- the additions were quite simple, and the caraway is only added to the level where it brings the flavors together, not to the point where you can taste it distinctly.

Hedonistic? Oh my, yes.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:15 am

Hmm - I wonder if it would be just as good (albeit different) without the sprouts.....ever tried it?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:17 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Hmm - I wonder if it would be just as good (albeit different) without the sprouts.....ever tried it?

What are you trying to say :)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:19 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:It really was all about the sprouts. That was the center of the flavors

I'll take your word for it. Although having made latkes with similar portions of either carrots or zucchini as additions, I can't say that in those cases it was really "all about" the other vegetables.

But, what really interested me was the shredding of the sprouts, not a technique I often use. (I once tired myself out peeling the darn things for pasta, so now I mostly just roast)
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:43 am

To an extent, it's a test of one's knife skills, like any other prep. I started using a mandoline, said, "F@#$ this, I want to keep my fingers," then switched to a chef's knife. A few minutes later, a nice pile of shreds.

Without the sprouts, it would have tasted like sophisticated potato latkes (unlike the "real" thing, there's no binder). Nothing wrong with that, but it's not what we're doing here. And potato latkes would not have played as well with the Burg we were drinking as these did.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:58 am

"The Best Brussels Sprouts Dish Ever".
Damning with faint praise indeed. :D
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:04 am

Stuart, didn't you used to do a brussels sprout dish where you shredded them, and sauteed with lots of butter, and maybe walnuts, or pecans?
Or did I dream that?
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:08 am

I haven't tried this but I think maybe it looks like the "second" best Brussels Sprouts dish ever. I'm no big fan of the little green monsters but this sounds quite good.

http://www.stephencooks.com/2005/11/gla ... sted_.html

F
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:04 pm

Wow...That totally has to go on our menu next Sunday.

Traci
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:06 pm

John...I think I posted one (a really, really long time ago) that had shredded brussels sprouts with caramelized onions and pecans. An old Southern Living recipe.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:00 pm

It's a classic combo. Actually, we DID have some chopped roasted pecans in this prep for texture- I just forgot to mention it.

BTW, Traci, it's delightful to "see" you back at WLDG!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:40 pm

I'll give you recipe a try, Stuart; although it'll be tough, I think to beat the baked sprouts drizzled in EVOO. I just bought a stalk about 2 1/2 feet long with all the sprouts still attached. I hadn't seen that before in my little town. I assume they'll taste fresher.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:54 pm

Yes, they will. Ours were fresh-cut from the stalk. I just love Brussels Sprouts...
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:44 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Sorry to be obsessive about those little green crucifers, but the Gordon Ramsey Bubble and Squeak cakes got me thinking. They were very nice, but not quite excellent. Much experimentation ensued, some of which I posted before.

By the time we were done, there was little left of Ramsey. Ah, well.

Depsite responses to the contrary, they still seem inherently bubble and squeakish to me, it has the cabbagey food, i.e. the brussels sprouts and it has the spuds. Just not made from leftovers. I like the classy caviar addition. Will have to book mark this and try next season. :idea: :)
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:47 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Worked superbly with a nice white Burgundy.
With that goats cheese and 'vegetal' greens, it should work well with a crisp sauvignon blanc too.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:35 pm

My favorite way to cook these is to steam until just done, and eat with Best Foods mayo. Alas, to save calories, I now dip in fresh lemon juice.....yummy!
I'm so glad when I remodeled our kitchen I got a powerful vent fan over my 6-burner stove. Takes out those nasty smells PDQ.
They are also great cut in half, placed cut side down on sheet tray, drizzled with EVOO and roasted until browned.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:35 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:... top with some soft chevre and either salmon roe or Caviart. Image

Stuart, you had me right up to adding the fish eggs! That violates my "Bait is NOT people food" policy.
8)
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:50 pm

Do what I did- use Caviart. It looks like fish eggs and gives a nice flavor and texture contrast, but it's actually seaweed. That was a Jenise discovery and I'm hooked.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:56 pm

Ok, I had just assumed that you failed to spell-check Caviar! :oops:
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:12 pm

http://www.caviart.com/Default.asp?ID=41

Pretty cool stuff. No fish bait.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:15 pm

The Best Brussels Sprouts Dish Ever?

Hm.

Pardon my killjoy-ness, but I have never met a brussels sprout I liked.

Nothing personal but....Ack.

My apologies.
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

by CMMiller » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:45 pm

TimMc wrote:The Best Brussels Sprouts Dish Ever?
Pardon my killjoy-ness, but I have never met a brussels sprout I liked.
Nothing personal but....Ack.

Don't close your mind yet. I can attest Stu Knows Sprouts. In any case, if you are ever in SF, head to Lulu's and order the pan-fried Brussels Sprouts. They changed my formerly dim view of sprouts forever.
Next