Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Salt

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: Salt

by Robert J. » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:48 pm

I do have some truffle salt but I don't use it too much.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:48 pm

Robert--it's fantastic on seared scallops.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:03 pm

Yes, I've had it that way and it ROCKS. It is also good in mashed potatoes and homemade sausage (pork). But I don't make those things very often.

rwj
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:50 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:It's big and flaky and comes in a round plastic tub in which you twirl the rim of your margarita glass. It's actually quite nice.

What Larry said.

I have often used it to salt my steaks before BBQ'ing them.

Ooops!

Sorry.

The backdoor was still ajar.

:wink:
Last edited by TimMc on Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:02 pm

I started working a couple of days a month in a local spice shop over the summer. She carries about 15 different types of salts. What I've been most intrigued with of late is the smoked salts. Alder smoked, chardonnay smoked, smoked black, amongst 1 or 2 others. Just yesterday I used some of the smoked black as an accompaniment to a hardboiled egg I'd brought for a snack. VERY tasty. And the alder smoked was killer as a finish to a pot of ham/beans I made a couple of weeks ago.

A question that Celia's post raised in my mind was whether or not we receive a healthful quantity of iodine in the processed foods we use? Can I assume that the mfg's of canned/processed items use iodized salt to increase the sodium levels assuming they use salt at all as opposed to some other source of sodium, or should we still be using some good old Morton's occasionally to maintain a healthy level?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:18 pm

Scott, most people get enough iodine through their regular diet. Seafood (including kelp) and fruit/vegetables grown in iodine-rich soil, plus whatever iodized salt finds its way to you in prepared food will typically feed you the 150 micrograms per day you need. (A 1/4 tsp of iodized salt contains about 95 micrograms.) Interestingly, I would have thought a daily multi-vitamin would also contain iodine, but I just checked mine and it does not.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:14 pm

The documentary about iodine deficiency in Tibet was astounding. It seems particularly relevant in pregnant women - an iodine deficiency can lead to severe retardation in the foetus, and even a slight iodine deficiency can cause some loss of IQ.

I was interested to see that it's now becoming a problem again in Australia, because of a change in the processing method of our milk. Since iodine is no longer used to clean milking equipment, we no longer get the benefits of positive contamination. Add to that the fact that more and more people are moving towards gourmet (uniodised) salts, and you have a new re-emerging problem with iodine deficiency. And yet, we only need so little ! After the programme, we went back to using iodised salt in our cooking water, as well as switching to a multivitamin with iodine in it...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:06 pm

Yes, Celia, pregnant women and children need more than adults. I wonder, though, reading your comment about postive contamination from milking equipment, how hundreds of years ago people got enough iodine. Perhaps there were just a lot more cretins in our midst?
Previous