Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooking with tea: Advice?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Cooking with tea: Advice?

by Rahsaan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:02 am

I have several kinds of tea that I have been meaning to cook with, but I never found any good ways to get started.

Does anyone have any ideas? Techniques? Concepts?
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: Cooking with tea: Advice?

by Frank Deis » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:54 am

Hi Rahsaan

I think I remember that you are a vegetarian? That might limit the possibilities.

I don't cook with tea but my neighbor has a whole cookbook on cooking with tea and the best thing so far a tea-smoked salmon dish which was quite delicate and delicious.

The most obvious thing is probably using Japanese green tea in ice cream, I have seen green tea ice cream in various restaurants and it seems to be a popular idea. The ice cream comes out really refreshing, not heavy.

Frank
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:56 am

Rahsaan wrote:I have several kinds of tea that I have been meaning to cook with, but I never found any good ways to get started.

I read about cooking with tea a few months back. Seem to remember that it works best if you slow brew the tea and use the liquid almost as if you would use stock.

I tried it but could never get the delicacy that the columnist promised and so I lost interest, and of course lost the article reference.

Lot of help this is to you!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:27 am

I've made ice cream with Earl Grey tea that was pretty good. I would think it would also work in panna cotta or flan.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:38 pm

Tea is a wonderful addition to a basic cookie recipe. I started with a recipe for Earl Gray Tea cookies, and experimented from there. As previously mentioned, I noted that the recipes that show up most often is using tea to infuse flavor through a quick wok smoking process. Again, that is with meats (duck, pork, fish). IF that's out for you, there is always a good iced tea. I have a pitcher full every Sunday with dinner, using various flavor combinations infused with herbs from the garden. Try any combination of teas and include lavender, lemongrass, basil, thyme, rosehips, etc. The addition of a little citrus sometime helps when the end result might seem a little pallid. Good luck.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:59 pm

For what it's worth -- people are talking about using steeped liquid in their recipes here. What I know about is using the tea leaves directly. The japanese product Matcha is powdered green tea intended for use as an ingredient.

http://www.teanobi.com/products/powder.html

F
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:18 pm

Frank, interesting link--had no idea there was such a range of different powders.

Rahsaan, I once tried a recipe for a rice made with a brewed green tea--not much else in there that I recall. The result was pretty flat and unimpressive, and I didn't think there was any other way of approaching it that would have worked out better.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:14 pm

I am vegetarian. Although I do eat fish and seafood. Although I don't anticipate smoking any fish myself at home.

But, the idea of using brewed tea as a stock is quite attractive, seems easy enough to play around with, and as a vegetarian I often do not use stock, so this could be worth pursuing.

Thanks.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:28 pm

Rahsaan, the problem with using tea as a stock is that, under heat, tea's natural tannins become more pronounced. Not insurmountable or objectionable in all applications, but as in the rice that I made, not always a benefit.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:47 pm

Rahsaan, from the way you say that, I think you are visualizing something involving a Big Green Egg or "smoker" that is devoted to fish smoking. We are not talking about making your own smoked herring here. Tea can impart a lot of nice smokey flavor in about 15 minutes on top of the stove using normal pots and pans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/datab ... 3971.shtml

Google around for yourself, you will see what I mean.

F
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:21 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I am vegetarian. Although I do eat fish and seafood. Although I don't anticipate smoking any fish myself at home.

But, the idea of using brewed tea as a stock is quite attractive, seems easy enough to play around with, and as a vegetarian I often do not use stock, so this could be worth pursuing.

Thanks.

Rahsaan,

As a non-vegetarian, I often use vegetable stock. Why can't you?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:30 pm

Thomas wrote:Rahsaan,

As a non-vegetarian, I often use vegetable stock. Why can't you?

Yes, I suppose I could. Actually, I usually avoid stock because I like the clean flavor of my vegetables/food, but the other day I was watching Stuart cook and he made a very nice light vegetable stock that didn't compete with the ingredients in the actual dish, so I mentally filed that away as something to pursue.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:32 pm

Jenise wrote:Rahsaan, the problem with using tea as a stock is that, under heat, tea's natural tannins become more pronounced..

Thanks. I will have to think about that.

Also, I was wondering what happens to the caffeine as tea is cooked for longer periods of time? I'm guessing it doesn't "go away" (as would happen with alcohol from wine). Which would mean I should also take that into consideration before eating/drinking the equivalent of a bit pot of tea for dinner.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:32 pm

Frank Deis wrote:Rahsaan, from the way you say that, I think you are visualizing something involving a Big Green Egg or "smoker" that is devoted to fish smoking. We are not talking about making your own smoked herring here. Tea can impart a lot of nice smokey flavor in about 15 minutes on top of the stove using normal pots and pans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/datab ... 3971.shtml

Google around for yourself, you will see what I mean.

F

Ok, thanks. Interesting.
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:59 pm

A couple of other things I can think of from Chinese cooking:

* Tea eggs, which are hard-boiled eggs steeped in tea and spices. The shells are usually lightly cracked all over once the eggs have hardened, which gives the white a sort of tie-died appearance.

* There's a recipe in which shrimp are stir fried with lung jing (Dragon Well) tea leaves. I tried it once, but my version wasn't all that good, so I haven't ventured it since.

As noted, tea smoking can be done on the stove top, but make sure you either seal things up well, or have good ventilation.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:08 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I have several kinds of tea that I have been meaning to cook with, but I never found any good ways to get started.

Rahsaan, a couple of years ago, I attended - and reported on - an offbeat tea lunch at a trendy local place where the chefs are known for innovative techniques. They put together several courses in which tea was used as an ingredient while compatible teas were served alongside.

Since I was reporting, I took fairly detailed notes on ingredients and techniques. Some of the dishes may be too meatful for you, but they're certainly adaptable, and the technique comments might be right on point for your quest. Here's the link:

Tea, glorious tea: A tasting lunch at Limestone
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:48 pm

Robin Garr wrote:the technique comments might be right on point for your quest. Here's the link:

Tea, glorious tea: A tasting lunch at Limestone

Thanks. Tea butter sounds interesting.