Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Salad dressing - homemade or store bought

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Why do people buy bottled salad dresing?

Laziness (convenience)
43%
Don't realize how easy it is
17%
Enjoy the Ranch, Catalina, or Thousand Island they grew up on
4%
Don't own a whisk or lidded carafe
No votes
Other
35%

Total votes : 23
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Salad dressing - homemade or store bought

by Thomas » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:34 am

chefjcarey wrote:I think you needed another option in your choices:

"I have no oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk or yogurt in my house."

I don't care if you work out, work up, own up or throw up. For if you have any of those ingredients, a salad dressing *far* better than anything in the marketplace is at your fingertips and mere seconds away.

I bought a bottle of that crap once just to see what it was like.

Oh, and let me fan the flames a little more - salad dressing without fat is totally useless. (I'm sure Bob will explain.)

Not only that, Chef, but store bought is usually loaded with things unnatural to salad dressing or overly unnecessary, and so it is generally unhealthy.

Even in restaurants, I ask about the dressing. If I don't like the answer, I ask for it on the side to taste, plus a wedge of lemon, just in case I need to make my own dressing at the table.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:37 pm

I use Girard's Spinach Salad Dressing....the rest I make fresh. I was introduced to this product at a friends home. She made a spinach salad with diced red onion, blue cheese and spicy/sweet/ toasted pecans, and chopped egg. It is very good. I just cleaned out my refer and found a bottle of Champagne Pear Dressing someone gave me. It's not bad either but you cannot beat a well made vinaigrette, which I make all the time experimenting with all types of vinegars/oils/lemon juice/various garlics/shallots, etc. Yummy stuff.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:45 pm

The more I think about this the more I realize that I eat salad. I don't care one whit about it. I eat it because I feel I need to, not because I like any aspect of it (except for those special creations).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:20 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Convenience is different from laziness. I work out over 90 minutes a night, and I use store-bought dressing. I'm not lazy.

Okay, David, but you ARE the exception. I had dinner the other night at the home of a woman who is exactly my age who has never made her own salad dressing. NEVER. Is she a lazy person? No. Like you, she's a very industrious person. But has she ever taken the time to find out how easy it is to make her own salad dressing and her home cooking relies heavily on boxed and bottled products.

As for time, you can make a basic vinaigrette for one salad in the bottom of a salad bowl in less than 60 seconds. And in the same amount of time you can make a larger amount in a jar that you can store in the fridge and use as conveniently as a commercial dressing. If you prefer the taste of a pre-made, that's fine. But I eat a lot of salads on the run just like you do, and because I prefer homemade I always have the extra minute to make it for myself.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:51 pm

Jenise wrote:I had dinner the other night at the home of a woman who is exactly my age who has never made her own salad dressing. NEVER.
There you are. The full range of options. (Vs. I, IIRC, never bought commercial dressing. "NEVER." But have known and cooked with many people who did which is how I got some experience tasting them.

What I truly don't know is other people's motivations for buying it (or the range of possibilities there), so I couldn't conscientiously form such a poll. This reminds me of past food threads elsewhere on topics where the posters speculated. (1.) Non-wine-drinkers projecting "snob" or other motivations onto people who swirl wine in a glass (whereas I, a wine drinker, do it for the smell). (2.) In New Orleans once, speculating about social-class agendas behind a report that certain restaurant orders predict poor tipping to follow (steaks "well done," "Thousand Island" salad dressing, "virgin" drinks). No, some servers replied: It reflects that we work for tips, so we notice what orders lead to better or worse tips.

One solution to having no time to make dressing is to make up enough good vinaigrette to last -- it's good a few days, even weeks. Garlic, especially crushed, is a powerful emulsifier tending to bind the oil and water components; certain strong flavors like vinegar, lemon juice, and mustard are natural preservatives.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:12 pm

Max Hauser wrote: What I truly don't know is other people's motivations for buying it (or the range of possibilities there), so I couldn't conscientiously form such a poll.

I guess I should have gone back to University to get my Masters in Polling Statistics before posing the question. :wink:

Max, I get your point. However, think I'm a pretty good judge of character and some of the motivations of people I know well, so I was comfortable answering my own questions on their behalf.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:24 pm

Ok - somebody give me a good mustard vinagrette recipe (make sure it has garlic in it!) - I'll start from there.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:49 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Ok - somebody give me a good mustard vinagrette recipe (make sure it has garlic in it!) - I'll start from there.
Oh hell, here are some principles, they're pretty easy (don't ask me for exact quantities though). Dijon-type mustard is a signature component in the pungent vinaigrettes often used in bistros in France by the way. (Reference example: Brasserie Lipp.)

Olive oil, vinegar (cider or wine or balsamic -- I usually use cider and some balsamic), shake with crushed garlic, a clove or two for a half-pint of liquid. Flavor with smooth Dijon mustard, salt to taste (it should taste fairly strong unless you use it abundantly), a few grinds of black pepper, and a pinch of green herbs to taste. Shake it well and let the flavors develop if possible for some minutes or an hour before using. Refrigerate to store -- good olive oil will separate out when chilled, needs to come back up in temp. a little before shaking will re-emulsify.

Variations: Herbal balsamic vinaigrettes, often without mustard. (These make killer marinades for things like chicken pieces for roasting; pull off the skins first, as for tandoori chicken.) To use onion powder, which is a good easy ingredient (and helpful thickener in a marinade, helps it stick to the meat), soak the powder in a little water first, just enough to wet it. Otherwise it hardens a little when it hits the acid. Again include crushed fresh garlic -- a garlic press is useful here but not essential.

An exceptional variation is vinaigrette with walnut oil and (at least part) balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, and shallots -- either fresh or freeze-dried in which case rehydrate first as above, and about as much as the garlic or slightly more. Pureed in a blender. It becomes viscous like heavy cream. This has been a big success on simple lettuce leaves with toasted walnuts.

Final [I hope] edit to add: These are all variants of what's traditionally called French dressing in the US, still called that in other English-speaking lands. But in recent years some bottled dressing firms (!!!) pushed a tomato-flavored variant (sweetened heavily with corn syrup, no less) which skewed current US understanding of the phrase. So for instance when boarding British air lines in US ports, if they offer a "French Dressing" with a salad, it's good to ask "British or American sense" -- when that happened, the steward understood immediately, so it's an issue.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:40 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Ok - somebody give me a good mustard vinagrette recipe (make sure it has garlic in it!) - I'll start from there.

Mustard, vinegar and garlic... have at it ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:11 pm

Thomas, don't forget the oil! And a little salt.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:27 pm

Stuart, when does the Visual Metaphor debut? I'm on the edge of my seat. ;)
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:43 pm

Mmmm, perhaps this IS a visual metaphor! 8)
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:46 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Mmmm, perhaps this IS a visual metaphor! 8)

Sounds like a cop out to me.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:30 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I work out over 90 minutes a night, and I use store-bought dressing. I'm not lazy.

Dave, you work out 90 MINUTES A NIGHT ?!? Maaaan, you are certainly NOT lazy. I have trouble at the moment getting in anything more than 2 hours a week. Good on you, matey !

Yeah, I know I've missed the whole salad dressing point, sorry. :) I didn't actually have much to add - we use bought dressing, and we make our own. We like Paul Newman's because it's nice, and it has his cute face on the bottle (ok, not we, but that's why I buy it). There are also some very nice gourmet dressings too which we splurge on occasionally. But if we're lazy, it's just EVOO and balsamic over lettuce.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:45 pm

celia wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I work out over 90 minutes a night, and I use store-bought dressing. I'm not lazy.

Dave, you work out 90 MINUTES A NIGHT ?!? Maaaan, you are certainly NOT lazy. I have trouble at the moment getting in anything more than 2 hours a week. Good on you, matey !

Yeah, I know I've missed the whole salad dressing point, sorry. :) I didn't actually have much to add - we use bought dressing, and we make our own. We like Paul Newman's because it's nice, and it has his cute face on the bottle (ok, not we, but that's why I buy it). There are also some very nice gourmet dressings too which we splurge on occasionally. But if we're lazy, it's just EVOO and balsamic over lettuce.

You do know, Celia, that Newman's Own is releasing wine next year.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:57 pm

Ooh, Thomas, I reckon they could get a whole body shot of old blue eyes on a wine bottle...will have to watch out for it !

:D
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:37 pm

Can't be, I've been waiting too! Hoping for a less scary picture than the last one. You look like a handsome guy, so let us see the new one :?:
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:18 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:

Can't be, I've been waiting too! Hoping for a less scary picture than the last one. You look like a handsome guy, so let us see the new one :?:

:shock:

Please make an appointment with your eye doctor. Soon.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:02 pm

Maria Samms wrote:I really like Good Season's Salad dressing.

Maria, I like it too. My mother-in-law uses it almost exclusively (whirls it in a blender and it stays emulsified, nice.) and I had started using it sometimes, but my husband made it known that he prefers mine so I try to oblige.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:48 am

I do both. When I want a fat-free dressing, I buy it; when I don't, I make it. Okay, let the verbal beatings begin...I can take it.

RE: Stuart's visual metaphor. I've had an inkling for some time that perhaps the pink square [/i]is the metaphor. Hope I'm right. Of course, it's like the Heisenberg principle; now Stuart will change it.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:12 pm

For whatever reason we have been making our own for a while. Not intentionally, really, just that suddenly we wanted this: rub the salad bowl with a garlic clove, put in a head of chopped romaine, add 2 T of EVOO, toss to coat the leaves. Add about 1-1/2 T balsamic vinegar, freshly ground black pepper, toss again.
Thats it.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:57 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The more I think about this the more I realize that I eat salad. I don't care one whit about it. I eat it because I feel I need to, not because I like any aspect of it (except for those special creations).

You're clearly not a Salad Hedonist.. :)
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:54 am

I voted Don't realize how easy it is and I didn't. Great thread, the Draves family will live a little better now. I usually have my salad "dry" because I saw the ingredients on store bought dressing. I had no clue that Blue Cheese was as easy as cheese and yogurt. Too bad we're going to relatives for Thanksgiving- it's 6am and I'm in the mood for salad.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:42 am

My favorite dressing ever is the miso salad dressing they serve at Sushi joints. Last week I ordered three salads (they're small) and no sushi for lunch just for the dressing. They looked at me like I was nuts.

I tried to recreate that miso dressing tonight with a store-bought bottle of concentrated miso ($5.99) and French dressing (as suggested on the label), the results weren't even close. Anyone know the secret?

Best,
Joe
PreviousNext