Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Stretch-Tite back at Costco

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Stretch-Tite back at Costco

by Jenise » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:04 pm

Haven't seen it yet myself, but I've heard reports that after several years absence from Costco shelves and after being replaced by some truly inferior product, Stretch-Tite is now available again at Costco. The packaging is new--it has both the Kirkland and Stretch-Tite names on it--but it's the same great cling film many of us can't imagine our kitchens without.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Stretch-Tite back at Costco

by Carrie L. » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:35 pm

Oh good. Perfect timing too, with all the food wrapping we all do around the holidays.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:35 pm

Hooray!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:58 pm

Darn, I have a reserve roll of 750 square feet of the private label only brand -- no indicator of who manufactured it -- just Costco and Kirkland on the package.

That box may become my permanent reserve box of film -- thanks for the heads up.
Last edited by Bob Ross on Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Palo Alto, CA

by Peter Hertzmann » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:25 pm

I wonder what the price difference is for a 500 sq. ft. roll at Cosco versus Smart & Final?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:24 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Darn, I have a reserve roll of 750 square feet of the private label only brand -- no indicator of who manufactured it -- just Costco and Kirkland on the package.

That box may become my permanent reserve box of film -- thanks for the heads up.

Bob, don't reserve it, return it! Costco, as I'm sure you know, will take back virtually anything. Just tell them the truth--you weren't happy with the product, and you have heard they've got Stretch Tite back which you'd rather have. I'm sure they won't even bat an eyelash.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:55 am

You're right, Jenise. We spent $500 or so a month at our Costco, and they never complain about returns. I'll do it. Regards, and thanks, Bob
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:24 am

OK - I give up. What is Stretch-Tite, some kind of plastic seal/wrap? I did a search of Costco.com and got zip.

Later: Never mind, I found out.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:13 pm

Yes Jon, and hugely superior to everything else on the market. And then there's the company itself to admire: when Costco quit carrying Stretch-Tite about three years ago and instead carried some vastly lesser product which not only didn't cling, it imparted an odor to food, I wailed out loud here in FLDG. Somehow my post came to the attention of the President of Stretch Tite, Jim Baldwin, who came to my rescue by sending me a year's supply and one of their dispensers, which I'd never had before but wouldn't now be without. How cool is that?
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:23 pm

Sweet, Jenise! That kind of thing just does not happen anymore - or so I thought. Talk about good will being a valuable asset now I'm gonna buy some!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:15 pm

Jenise, Just as an aside, but not all of us has a Costco store, but I imagine those that don't, does have a Wal-Mart. So for those souls, I want to report that the Wal-Mart "Sam's Choice" film wrap is indeed Stretch Tite. I won't ever buy anything but the Stretch Tite even if it does have a Wal-Mart name on it.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:34 pm

Bob, thanks for that additional information. This must be new, because back when Mr. Baldwin and I were brainstorming other options, the only other chain carrier was the Smart & Final chain (called Cash & Carry in my nabe) Peter mentions. Good for Stretch-Tite to lock up the Wal-Mart account.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:22 pm

Jenise, I was at our Costco the other day and I saw the Stretch Tite. Only problem...it is in a huge box--a 3,000 foot roll. I have all of my plastic bags and wraps in one drawer of the kitchen and this wouldn't fit there. I don't really like the idea of hauling it out of a cabinet or pantry when I need to use it...
Is the other brand Kirkland? That's what I bought. I haven't used it yet, but I did open it and it kind of does have a smell to it... hmmm. May have to go back to Reynolds.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:42 pm

Carrie, UH OH. Not good news. The non-commercial size Kirkland-not-StretchTite was a pair of green boxes with a devious zip-top cutter. Smelly, and not Stretchy at all by StretchTite standards.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:48 pm

Hmmm. Could be them, but the two-pack I bought are in blue boxes. I think I'll take them back. I'm concerned about the smell. I have a good sniffer and taster so I'd surely pick up on anything that lingered.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:18 pm

Blue, really? The one time I bought them, they were lime green. Might or might not be the same supplier, but the smell of the product I had certainly transferred to foods, so you're wise to assume yours will too.

By the way, in lieu of any other source you can buy StretchTite online directly from StretchTite in the roll size you want. While you're at it, get a dispenser. You won't be sorry!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:27 pm

Several months ago while at Costco, I purchased a 3,000 sq. ft. roll of Kirkland plastic wrap. The red box has a cutter on top and holes on each side so I can easily pick it up out of the drawer. It is great stuff, no smell at all, clings like it should.
no avatar
User

Ray Juskiewicz

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Seattle

by Ray Juskiewicz » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:13 pm

Last week at a Dallas Costco I bought a two pack of Kirkland/Stretch-Tite, each 750 sq ft IIRC. The box was mostly yellow with blue trim. They did have a blue box in the larger size (3000 sq ft?) that didn't appear to be the same stuff. The ones I bought clearly say Stretch-Tite.

Carrie, your store maybe waiting to sell out of the older stock.

As an aside, both sizes of the Stretch-Tite were only 12" wide. Has anyone seen a 18" roll?