Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I'm... speechless

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

I'm... speechless

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:23 pm

From today's Yahoo Food, the Hungry Girl column:

Q: I want to eat more healthy, diet-friendly food, but that stuff is so expensive (and fatty, high-cal stuff always seems to be so cheap)! How can I eat right on a budget?

A: Stock up on frozen fruits and veggies instead of fresh ones.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: I'm... speechless

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:03 pm

I don't think I've ever seen you speechless, Stuart.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:15 pm

I hear that so often......"healthy food is just too expensive" I always reply, "so is getting sick!" Really!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:19 pm

And it's not more expensive unless you restrict yourself to places like Whole Paycheck.

Cynthia, what's the emoticon for a Bronx Cheer?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:27 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:And it's not more expensive unless you restrict yourself to places like Whole Paycheck.

Cynthia, what's the emoticon for a Bronx Cheer?

Phtzzzzzz, I believe.

It's even cheaper if you grow them at home.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:43 pm

This gal is crazy.

rwj
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:07 pm

Hey, Stuart!

I'm (briefly) in one of your old favorite cities. Yep, good old SLC.

Just wanted you to, once again, count your blessings: among them, you're not here.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:41 pm

Mormonism is one of the two religions that is acceptable to slag on a wine forum. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:56 pm

Well, I'm a born-again pastafarian, so I have nothing but love in my heart for everyone.

I think I'll arm myself with some DeCeccho, perhaps with a simple basil pomodoro sauce, and bring understanding to my brethren at the temple.

When they find out it's okay to have as many pasta shapes as they wish---it's the FSM's will---I expect some easy conversions.

Hey, if they can believe LDS, they can believe in anything.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:11 am

"Dum dum dum dum..."

(obligatory South Park reference)
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:42 am

Hey! I just invented that term about two weeks ago when dining with Robin! How did you come up with it?!? It's my word! (pastafarian) :lol:
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:43 am

Ha, Stuart, I love that episode...

It is one (maybe the only one) episode I let my 10 y.o. daughter watch for its cultural significance.

b
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:55 am

Barb, google "flying spaghetti monster" for the long and honorable history of pastafarianism.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:02 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Mormonism is one of the two religions that is acceptable to slag on a wine forum. :twisted:

One night in a Marriott I began to read the Book of Mormon. I had read Mark Twain's description of Mormonism and thought it wonderfully funny, but it isn't even half as funny as the first few chapters of the actual Book!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:09 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Mormonism is one of the two religions that is acceptable to slag on a wine forum. :twisted:

Okay, I'll bite, what's the other one? I can think of about 10, but I assume you're talking about teetotal Bible-thumpers?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:17 am

No, more of perpetually outraged Middle Eastern types. (Hey, at least MY people drink wine!)

Maybe I shouldn't have said that- I'm on a low fatwa diet.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:03 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:No, more of perpetually outraged Middle Eastern types. (Hey, at least MY people drink wine!)

Maybe I shouldn't have said that- I'm on a low fatwa diet.

I think Omar Khayam would have disagreed with that take on The Prophet's admonitions.

But seriously, I don't see much difference at all between perpetually outraged Middle Eastern types and perpetually outraged holy rollers, other than that our homegrown variety probably puts a little more focus on the Demon Rum and a little less on the chador. Heck, they both get their instructions from Leviticus. How come you guys missed that line?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:08 am

OT political content deleted by SY.
Last edited by Stuart Yaniger on Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:20 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Well, there's the ultra-violence thing. Baptists haven't been doing the car-bomb thing much recently. No riots over cartoons, killing hundreds of people.

Whatever glory there was in traditional Islamic cultures (and there was much) is sadly vanished and been replaced by something unrecognizably harsh and sterile. Civilized people should mourn that.

Sorry, this is much more political than belongs here. Read it and kill it.

Red herring. That's a matter of cultural differences only, not religion. Put Fred Phelps in Iraq and Uday Hussein in Topeka and they could trade attitudes without missing a beat.

Also, heard from any abortion doctor killers or clinic bombers lately? There's a lot of hubris in the assumption that "they" are fundamentally different from us. They're not.

I don't mind keeping this thread alive. We're all grownups here. I think.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:29 am

Hoke wrote:Well, I'm a born-again pastafarian, so I have nothing but love in my heart for everyone.

Were you created in the Flying Spaghetti Monster's image and likeness? Do you have a Noodly Appendage?

Whilst in SLC, say "hey" to the folks at the Deseret Pasta Plant (this is a real place) for me. The last time I visited them they sent me home with about 20# of dried pasta which I couldn't get on the airplane so I gave it to the hotel staff as tips. I wonder if that is the connection between the LDS and the church of the FSM?
And now what?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:14 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:The last time I visited them they sent me home with about 20# of dried pasta which I couldn't get on the airplane so I gave it to the hotel staff as tips.

You should have asked the flight attendants to boil up some water...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:18 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Well, there's the ultra-violence thing. Baptists haven't been doing the car-bomb thing much recently. No riots over cartoons, killing hundreds of people.

But they have taken out a fair number of abortion clinics.

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Whatever glory there was in traditional Islamic cultures (and there was much) is sadly vanished and been replaced by something unrecognizably harsh and sterile. Civilized people should mourn that.

Stuart, I don't know a whole lot about Islamic culture. But when I was in college my Art History prof spent a good deal of time talking about Islamic architecture and the symbolism in it. To this day it stands, in my mind, as some of the greatest art in the world. So, in that sense (if it makes any), I do mourn the fact that much of the world can't see the beauty in Islamic culture.

rwj
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:21 pm

Robert J. wrote:
So, in that sense (if it makes any), I do mourn the fact that much of the world can't see the beauty in Islamic culture.

rwj

Robert,

To see beauty you have either to look for or at it, not for or at its opposite.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:There's a lot of hubris in the assumption that "they" are fundamentally different from us. They're not.

Fundamentally different being the whole point, methinks. :wink:

Religious fundamentalist activists all share one belief: that they have a divine right to impose their religious practices and restrictions on everyone else--by force, if necessary.

Is a pronouncement concerning non-believers a trans-fatwa? :)

-Paul W.
Next