Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Celeriac

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Celeriac

by Christina Georgina » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:27 pm

Just dug 4 beautiful celeraic from my garden - more than I've used in 4 years. How would you use them ?
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

Re: Celeraic

by CMMiller » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:01 pm

Peel and chop one coarsely, then cook until tender in just enough salted water to cover along with a couple of chopped potatoes and a sliced apple and a couple of bay leaves. Pour off most of the water and bay leaves, mix in some cream and butter. Puree or run through a food mill, then season to taste and reheat. Top with chopped fennel greens or scallions. Nice with Chardonnay.
Last edited by CMMiller on Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Sharon S.

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Buckinghamshire, UK

by Sharon S. » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:58 pm

A number of my veggie autumnal one-pot type dishes (such as root vegetable & mushroom stew with cheese dumlings) include celeriac in them. Treat them as you would swede or turnips anywhere where you'd like a more 'celery-like' flavour. Unfortunately my other half doesn't like celery or celeriac, so I don't get to cook with it. :(

My Leith's Seasonal Bible says that celeriac is a traditional accompaniment to roast game, either roasted or mashed. It includes a recipy for aromatic pheasant with cumin mash. The cumin mash side of it is:

55g/2oz butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
675g/1 1/2 lb celeriac, peeled, diced and cooked until tender
salt & freshly ground black pepper

Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and cook until very soft. Add the cumin and fry over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes.

Mash the cooked celeriac. Stir into the onion and season to taste with salt and peper.

Serve with your roast game. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:48 pm

Of course, you know all about remoulades and mixed mashes so I won't mention those, but here's a recipe we liked quite a bit that I pulled off of Epicurious some time back. I made it with chicken gizzards and a pair of drumsticks, but it's written for turkey giblets--good timing, no?

giblet and mushroom bread salad
Bon Appétit | November 2005

IngredientsGiblets (liver, neck, heart, and gizzard) from 1 turkey
4 cups low-salt chicken broth
10 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1/4 cup minced onion
1 garlic clove, minced

11 cups 1/2-inch cubes country white bread with crust (about 1 pound)

1 6-ounce package crimini (baby bella) mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 cup 1/4-inch cubes celery
1/2 cup 1/4-inch cubes peeled celery root (celeriac)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 1/2 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar

PreparationChop liver and transfer to small bowl; cover and refrigerate. Bring broth, neck, heart, and gizzard to boil in heavy large saucepan. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 1 hour. Strain broth into medium bowl; reserve. Remove meat from neck; place in small bowl. Chop heart and gizzard; add to bowl with neck meat.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add reserved liver; sauté until cooked through, about 4 minutes. Add chopped neck meat, heart, and gizzard, 1 1/2 cups of reserved broth, and 1/4 cup oil. (Dressing can be made 2 days ahead; cover and refrigerate dressing and any remaining broth separately.)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Divide bread cubes between 2 rimmed baking sheets. Drizzle 2 tablespoons oil over bread on each sheet; toss to coat. Toast bread in oven until golden brown, turning once, about 10 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.

Add mushrooms, celery, celery root, 1 tablespoon parsley, and oregano to bread. Bring dressing to simmer; remove from heat. Stir in vinegar. Pour dressing over bread mixture; toss. If desired, drizzle remaining broth by tablespoonfuls over bread mixture to moisten. Sprinkle remaining chopped parsley over. Let stand at least 10 minutes and up to 1 hour.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:24 pm

Here's another recipe, Christina, one I haven't tried but love the sound of and would surely love to do if, like you, I had these fresh from my garden. It's just a simple risotto, really, made from celery root and leeks, but it has the added jazz of a pesto made from the green leafy tops.

celery root risotto and pesto
Bon Appétit | December 2004

Prep: 25 minutes; Total: 45 minutes

Servings: Makes 2 main-course servings.

subscribe to Bon Appétit
Ingredients2 medium celery roots (celeriac) with leafy tops
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups chopped leek (white and pale green parts only)
3/4 cup arborio or medium-grain white rice
3 cups (about) low-salt chicken broth
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided

PreparationPlace 1 1/2 cups (packed) celery root leaves and oil in mini-processor. Blend until leaves are minced. Season pesto to taste with salt and pepper.

Peel celery roots. Cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Cut slices into enough 1/3-inch cubes to measure 2 cups. Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in celery root cubes and leek. Cover; cook until celery root is tender but not brown, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Mix in rice; stir 1 minute. Add broth; increase heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender and risotto is creamy, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Mix in 3/4 cup cheese. Season risotto to taste with salt and pepper.

Divide risotto between bowls; swirl some pesto on top. Serve with remaining cheese and pesto.
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

Re: Celeraic - giblet and mushroom bread salad

by CMMiller » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:25 pm

Wow, is this screaming for an earthy Burgundy or Rhone or what? And we just happen to have a can of gesiers in the larder that I was wondering what to do with...
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:36 am

My favorite recipe is here.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:06 am

Cream of celery root soup with black truffles and foie gras.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:30 am

When we went to France in '03, we often found celeriac on the plate when we ordered at a good restaurant. I think most often it was in the form of a puree, but at least once or twice it was made into "french fries."

I enjoyed eating it so much that after we returned I started buying it and cooking it more often. What a nice subtle flavor.

Frank
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:36 pm

Frank, welcome. And...fries? Never had them deep-fried--I take it, since you enjoyed them so, they didn't come out rubbery as I for some reason would instinctively imagine?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:15 am

Think Dutch pea soup.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:40 pm

Frank Deis wrote:When we went to France in '03, we often found celeriac on the plate when we ordered at a good restaurant. I think most often it was in the form of a puree, but at least once or twice it was made into "french fries."
Frank

Celeri Remoulade is basically shredded celeriac in a Dijon mustard flavored mayonnaise dressing. Think cole slaw, but replace the cabbage with celeriac.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:50 pm

Jenise wrote:Frank, welcome. And...fries? Never had them deep-fried--I take it, since you enjoyed them so, they didn't come out rubbery as I for some reason would instinctively imagine?

Really good potato french fries have to be pre-cooked to tenderness before dunking in scalding hot fat for browning.

You just follow the same paradigm, get them tender and THEN brown them in hot fat.

I am sure I was following a recipe when I tried it but ??? I wonder where.

I grew used to seeing celeriac on the plate in various guises during that trip to France and really never encountered anything I didn't like. it was kind of an eating vacation. Hmm, I suppose it was in 2004...

http://tinyurl.com/2mmhec

Frank