Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP /Foodletter: Vegetable curry

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP /Foodletter: Vegetable curry

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:46 pm

Vegetable curry

I'm an obligate omnivore, as a casual reading of these articles makes clear: I'm not loath to get myself on the outside of a sizzling steak or a piece of fried chicken or fish.

Nevertheless, I find vegetarian dishes intriguing, and actually enjoy meatless dishes as a regular player in our dinner rotation. I like it for health, I like it for ethical reasons, and I like it as a culinary challenge to the chef: "Can I fashion a vegetarian dish so fine that nobody misses the meat?"

Here's a simple guide: When it comes to hearty, flavorful dishes of real flavor interest in which no animals are harmed or even treated rudely, the Indians do it right.

Whether you go for fiery dishes or mellow but aromatic, curries and other Indian recipes can muster flavor excitement without any meat, poultry or fish. Better still, Indian vegetarian fare is far from a tune played on a single note. Drop in on your favorite Indian eatery, and chances are that you can plate up a half-dozen vegetarian Indian dishes and find no two alike.

Bring the memories home, and you'll find that it's relatively easy to create decent versions of Indian dishes in your own kitchen. It helps to have an Indian grocery around so you can stock up with authentic versions of the spice essentials, but no unusual tools or techniques are required, and using ground spices in place of toasting and grinding your own is a minor shortcut that I'm quite willing to take.

Today let's fashion a bowl of Aloo Gobhi Matar, a hearty, spicy vegetarian blend of cauliflower, potatoes and green peas with aromatic spices. The procedure may seem a little finicky because you have to prep and cook the veggies separately, but they all come together at the end with aromatic spices in an easy blend.

INGREDIENTS: (Serves two)

2 cups (16 ounces or a scant half-kilo) cauliflower florets
1 medium russet potato, enough to make 1 cup diced
1/2 cup green peas, fresh shelled or frozen
Salt
1 teaspoon (5g) cumin seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne (or more to taste if you like it hot)
1/2 teaspoon good quality curry powder
2-3 tablespoons (30-45 ml) peanut oil
Sprig fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)

PROCEDURE:

1. Cut the cauliflower into florets, and cut the florets into bite-size halves or quarters if they're large. Put them in a pot with lightly salted water to cover. Peel the potato and cut it into 1/2-inch dice. Put them in another pot with lightly salted water to cover. Measure out the peas.

2. Cover both pots, bring them to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are just cooked through but not mushy, about 10 minutes for the potatoes and 15 minutes for the cauliflower. When the potatoes have about 5 minutes to go, put the peas into the same pot.

3. Drain the vegetables into a colander. Meanwhile, measure out the spices and mix them together in a small bowl.

4. Put the peanut oil into a saucepan or skillet large enough to hold all the vegetables, and heat it until it sizzles. Put in the mixed spices and let them cook for a minute or two.

5. Reduce heat to medium-low, add the drained vegetables, and toss gently until they're evenly coated with the reddish-gold spiced oil, adding a small amount of water if the mixture seems too dry. Check seasoning, adding a little salt if needed. Sprinkle with the optional fresh cilantro leaves, lightly chopped; and serve immediately with hot white rice.

<B>MATCHING WINE:</B> Curries can be a challenge for wine, particularly if they're fiery, but this recipe holds down the heat to a relatively gentle piquant warmth, and its aromatics went very nicely with a crisp, dry Austrian white, Hiedler 2005 Löss Kamptal Grüner Veltliner. I might also try it with a fruity, moderately acidic red wine, an Argentine Malbec or one of the relatively lightweight Australian Shirazes I've been reporting this month.

<center>Subscribe to The 30 Second Wine Advisor's weekly FoodLetter</center>
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: RCP /Foodletter: Vegetable curry

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:57 pm

Looks delicious, Robin. I make a very similar dish. I'll have to try this!
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:11 am

Lazy cook that I am, I can't help wonder what would happen if the cauliflower and the potatoes were cooked in the same pot - merely giving the cauliflower a head start.

Though instinctively I think potatoes take longer to cook than cauliflower, and would reverse the cooking times.

Nevertheless, the dish sounds delicious. Thanks.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:29 pm

John Tomasso wrote:Lazy cook that I am, I can't help wonder what would happen if the cauliflower and the potatoes were cooked in the same pot - merely giving the cauliflower a head start.

Though instinctively I think potatoes take longer to cook than cauliflower, and would reverse the cooking times.

Nevertheless, the dish sounds delicious. Thanks.

Sorry about the slow response, John. Busy morning!

These are very good questions. I cooked them separately because I didn't want to overcook or undercook either veggie - I wanted them to be tender to the center but still showing structural integrity, and I was pretty certain they wouldn't all cook at the same rate. (I did solve that with the peas by throwing them in the potato water late, but doing all three didn't really strike me as a labor-saving advantage over using two pots.

Instinctively I might agree, but remember that the potatoes are cut into fairly small dice. They got soft fast, and in fact, I ended up draining them into the colander and letting them (and the peas) sit for a few minutes while the cauliflower reached the texture I wanted, which took about five more minutes. I'm sure that your assumption would have been correct with larger potato chunks. Or different potatoes or different cauliflower, maybe. Point is, if you're finicky, taste and test and taste and test and pull them when they're done. And if you're not finicky, just throw it all in one pot. Sure, it would work. :)
no avatar
User

Sharon S.

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Buckinghamshire, UK

by Sharon S. » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:50 pm

Being mainly a vegetarian I absolutely glory in the wonderful versitility, variety, and (IMO) infinitely more complex range of flavours vegetarian dishes offer. However cauliflower's the one 'staple' that I really don't like.

Have you tried this dish replacing the cauliflower with any other vegetable (brassica or otherwise)? Brocolli is my normal substitute in other recipies, but I've not found it to work that well with Indian spices.

Any suggestions? :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:56 pm

Sharon S. wrote:Have you tried this dish replacing the cauliflower with any other vegetable (brassica or otherwise)? Brocolli is my normal substitute in other recipies, but I've not found it to work that well with Indian spices.

Any suggestions? :)

Sharon, unless you just can't stand cauliflower, this might be a great dish to recalibrate your taste buds on. Make sure the cauliflower is fresh, make sure you don't overcook it so it won't get funky, and when you stir in all those great curry flavors, you might say, "Hey, not bad!"

To me, broccoli would really seem to change the character of the dish. But you could make something similar with just potatoes and peas. Or maybe potatoes and cubes of turnip and peas?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:01 pm

Robin, thanks for this recipe -- as you know, we became enamored of cauliflower dishes during our trip to India two years ago. There is a wide range of presentations, and we like its filling character.

Yours sounds like a great addition to my list of dishes on offer at Chez Dogwood!
no avatar
User

Sharon S.

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Buckinghamshire, UK

by Sharon S. » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote: To me, broccoli would really seem to change the character of the dish. But you could make something similar with just potatoes and peas. Or maybe potatoes and cubes of turnip and peas?

Ooh. Tumshees. Now they're definitely a favorite and work sooo well in so many autumnal / winter dishes (especially anything that you can cook dumplings with too). :D

But I think tumshees with potatoes would make it too rooty, as against the balance of brassica, root, and legume that your recipe gives.

Maybe you're right. Maybe giving the ol' cauliflower a go with Indian spices is the way to make it less boring. Although not even a good gruyere can do that IMO, so I'll reserve judgement and come back to you sometime with my findings! :)
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:32 pm

Dear Robin,

What a coincidence, I made curried tofu and squash tonight. Well, technically there was no sauce, so it wasn't curried, but the spicing would be recognizably "curry." Interestingly, my recipe shared almost none of your ingredients, I was going for a more herbal blend of spices. I sauteed 30 ounces tofu in a tablespoon of butter with 1 T freshly ground coriander, 1 strong bay leaf, 1/2 T garam masala, 1/2 T generic curry powder, 4 whole cloves, and a big pinch of red pepper flakes. I then added in turn 1.5 cups chopped onion, 3 cloves sliced garlic, and 6 small zucchini, chopped (1 lb.).

It needed a little punching up, so at the end I added a half cup of buttermilk for tang. The squash was just starting to fall apart and went well with the "cool" spices and lack of sauce.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:31 am

wnissen wrote:What a coincidence, I made curried tofu and squash tonight.

Yours sounds excellent, Walter! I've got to try it!
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:43 pm

I'm eating a vegetable curry as I write.

My Goan mother insists on well frying the curry powder and other spices and I do the same.

I would fry the spices on a lower heat (not quite sizzling) for MUCH longer than 2 minutes. - say 10 minutes.

I would also well fry onions and garlic with the spices.

In terms of wine - well I never drink red wine with curry.

I go for REFRESHING:

So I specify some or all of:

beer cold
naturally sparkling or semi-sparkling
good mouth-watering acidity
no mouth-drying tannins - so no reds. And tannin is enhanced at low temperatures.
no oak - bitterness with cumin, coriander and ginger
moderate alcohol but not low alcohol (about 12%)
residual sugar rising with chilli heat of the dish.

However I do consult on wine lists for Indian restaurants and feel obliged to include red wines so have a few soft low tannin reds.

Warren