Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Bell and Evans Chickens

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Bell and Evans Chickens

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:41 pm

I keep seeing reference to this brand. Today, I was looking at Ina Garten's recipe for Lemon Chicken over Croutons and she had a notation that she uses Bell and Evans chickens. Have any of you tried them and are they any better than the Rocky/Rosie brand we can get in CA, which are organic?
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Bell and Evans Chickens

by Maria Samms » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:54 pm

Karen,

I had not tried them myself, but my cousin and her husband (both chefs) swear by them, and will not buy any other brand of chicken. They are organic and supposedly take great. My cousin even buys the Bell and Evans chicken nuggets for her young boys.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:49 pm

Big time aficionado here in Ohio. Get them regularly at our local Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh-based) supermarkets.

If I remember correctly they are raised right next door to me in Pennsylvania. Check out their web site for the full story but I'm sure they are not laced with antibiotics, are not immobilized in cages, eat good stuff, and I know they are never frozen.

They ship to the grocers on a more frequent schedule than usual because they are not frozen so you automatically get a fresher bird at the store.

Great real chicken flavor in my opinion. I've not had many competitors, except Empire kosher chickens, which are great too... though I have to buy them frozen - but I can't recommend the Bell and Evans enough.
no avatar
User

Ray Juskiewicz

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Seattle

by Ray Juskiewicz » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:46 am

Not sure if this is the case everywhere, but here in Texas the Whole Foods brand fresh chicken is from Bell & Evans.

The air chilled chickens are always better than the dunk and freeze varieties from the grocery store, and as an added bonus, are not as much more expensive a you think. Not dunking them in the water/anti-bacterial solution and not packing them with a diaper in the tray results in much less liquid weight that drains down the sink or evaporates.

The taste and texture is outstanding. Another similar brand is Smart Chicken.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:10 pm

I buy them because the alternatives are Purdue or some generic with the supermarket's label on it. I've been happy with them so far.

-Paul W.