Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Rip Off Alert - Albertson's Spices

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Rip Off Alert - Albertson's Spices

by John Tomasso » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:10 am

Thank God I look over the receipts.

My lovely wife, for whom money is never an object, came home with a bundle of groceries from Albertson's supermarket yesterday.
I learned, a long time ago, not to criticize her shopping skills (or lack thereof) unless I wanted a)empty cupboards or b)to do the shopping myself.
As neither of those choices appeal to me, I pretty much go with the flow, and look the other way when she does things differently than I might.
Sometimes, however, the offense is so egregious that I must speak up, if for no reason other than to prevent my blood pressure from spiking to unsafe levels.

Yesterday was one of those times.

As I perused the ticket, my eyes glazed over as I ticked off the usual, boring items; cat food, ice cream, non fat milk, more cat food, onions, olives, more cat food, (why can't she put all the cat food together??), diet pepsi (bleccch), spice hunter spices,

WAIT. What's this? Spice hunter spices, 7.79?

"Um, hon, did you buy something from the spice department?"
"Yes, we needed bay leaves."
"Okay. Was it an extra large jar? Are we expecting company?"
"No, it's the regular sized jar."
"Okay. Did you realize that it cost almost eight bucks?"
"The other brand was more."
"Okay. You do realize that I work for a food distributor, and I sell spices at wholesale prices. Perhaps you've forgotten?"
"Well you always say that you'll get what we need from work but then you never do."
"That's because I'm too $%^&** busy trying to make enough money to pay for stupid $%^&*** purchases like this one! So could you please bring me the $%^&*** jar because it's going right back to the store, and I'm going to shove it up someone's $%^*."

The jar contains 4 grams of bay leaves.
As a point of comparison, I sell 2 oz jars (56 grams)of good quality bay leaves for less than $5.
Penzey's sells Turkish bay leaves, 28 grams for $3.

What is Albertson's thinking?
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Rip Off Alert - Albertson's Spices

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:15 am

"That's because I'm too $%^&** busy trying to make enough money to pay for stupid $%^&*** purchases like this one! So could you please bring me the $%^&*** jar because it's going right back to the store, and I'm going to shove it up someone's $%^*."

So, do I assume that after that one, Cindy now has you singing soprano?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:23 am

John Tomasso wrote:"That's because I'm too $%^&** busy trying to make enough money to pay for stupid $%^&*** purchases like this one! So could you please bring me the $%^&*** jar because it's going right back to the store, and I'm going to shove it up someone's $%^*."

John,
I assume this was all done in your best Bronx accent?
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:09 pm

John Tomasso wrote:The jar contains 4 grams of bay leaves.
As a point of comparison, I sell 2 oz jars (56 grams)of good quality bay leaves for less than $5... What is Albertson's thinking?

They're thinking retail. I'm not in the spice biz, John, but that's typical retail pricing for jars of dried spices from leading brands (not just Albertson's, supermarkets in general). Spice jar prices vary less than the weights inside (some spices are denser than others).

Many spices are available far cheaper, retail, in bulk at places like Whole Foods with bulk spice sections. But to a casual supermarket shopper, the jar display is convenient and the jars are priced at what people will pay.

My most dramatic experience is with saffron. As much as $10 a gram in tiny portions in supermarkets and "gourmet" shops. Yet Indian markets sell pounds of quality Mancha saffron threads for around $30 an ounce tin -- a dollar a gram -- lower in a price war. Immigrants from India have been mentioning this online for literally decades, to anyone who'll listen. An ounce of saffron sounds like a lot to supermarket shoppers used to getting tiny samples for special cooking but believe me, it frees your hand to play around with saffron in food. Arroz con xxx, saffron-flavored rice with Indian food, risotto alla Milanese (yum!), etc etc.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:01 pm

John,

You'll hate me for this, but that's why I have two laurel trees in large pots...ba da bing!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:09 pm

John Tomasso wrote:What is Albertson's thinking?

Uh, that there's a sucker born every minute? Just check out the prices on holiday herbs and spices as they head to the next galaxy as the annual eating festivals approach. Safeway is even worse! I'd rather season with dirt than buy my herbs and spices at a supermarket.

FWIW, however, I do purchase bulk, dried stuff at Smart and Final, e.g. oregano, bay leaves, parsley, basil, peppercorns etc. I don't have the prices in my head at the moment, but, as niggardly as I am, you can rest assured they are of good value. There's some acceptable stuff which comes up from Mexico in bags. (You just need to sift it to separate the cucaracha legs.)

By the way, if you have a steady income, stop looking at the receipts. It'll only give you agita.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:46 pm

Your wife is a far nicer woman than I am. :?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:06 pm

One word: Penzey's.

(Except that you sell spices wholesale. Oh, nevermind. Back to the hole.)

rwj
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:47 am

Thomas wrote:John,

You'll hate me for this, but that's why I have two laurel trees in large pots...ba da bing!

I don't hate you, Thomas. I have one of those trees planted firmly in the ground outside my kitchen window. There's nothing like fresh bay from the yard. But, the tree is getting out of hand, and it attracts mealy bugs -- Yuck. I have to spray it a couple times a year, but it's worth it! Yes, spices in bulk from the Puget Consumer Coop. I can get a tablespoon or a pound. And it turns over so frequently, it's always fresh. Please try to find a bulk merchant nearby. You can't beat the quality and the price.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:54 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:

I don't hate you, Thomas. I have one of those trees planted firmly in the ground outside my kitchen window.

I'll be hiking at the Point Reyes National Seashore today. Anybody need a bag of bay laurel? :D
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:21 pm

John, I hope that from now on, your wife ditches the receipts before she gets home!
no avatar
User

Ray Juskiewicz

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Seattle

by Ray Juskiewicz » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:52 pm

Over the years I collected a set of those Morton & Bassett glass spice jars for most of the things I use. I realize I paid plenty for them, but after I emptied them for the first time, I refill them from the bulk bins. And the uniform jars with the names on the lids make finding things simple.

The bulk purchases are ridiculously cheap. Sometimes I have to buy more than I want just to get the scale to move off of 0.00. Bay leaves come to mind.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:28 pm

We must have consumed a ton of Lawry Salt when it came in lovely brown glass bottles. We have a large supply of them, and use with bulk herbs and spices. Even if we buy something in a clear glass bottle, we transfer it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:36 pm

Ray Juskiewicz wrote:Over the years I collected a set of those Morton & Bassett glass spice jars for most of the things I use. I realize I paid plenty for them, but after I emptied them for the first time, I refill them from the bulk bins.

I've done much the same but with different spice jars--I'm not fussy, I'll write or tape the names on the lids--though I have a preference for a line that Whole Foods Market sells because the jars are square and the lids have the names printed on them. But now that I replenish semi-annually from Penzey's, a lot of my dry herbs and spices have by neccessity moved into quart canning jars. I need more shelf space!
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:35 pm

You can buy El Cheapo brand of Bay leaves in a cellophane wrapper in the Mexican section of many supermarkets or at the Mexican grocers. These are typically in the $1.29 range. Cindy needs to know that just because it comes in a fancy jar doesn't make it better. She should look first in the ethnic/Mexican section for common spices.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:05 pm

John, I'm with the girls on this one, I think you've been hard on your missus. IF her pantry was always stocked with spices you bring home from work (which, by your account, you don't get a chance to do), then she would never need to buy any, so the problem wouldn't arise. So is it fair to loose your venom on her ?

Just my 2c. Sometimes it's not worth the saving to make an extra trip to another store, or nag a busy husband to do something... :wink:
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:22 am

celia wrote:John, I'm with the girls on this one, I think you've been hard on your missus. IF her pantry was always stocked with spices you bring home from work (which, by your account, you don't get a chance to do), then she would never need to buy any, so the problem wouldn't arise. So is it fair to loose your venom on her ?

Just my 2c. Sometimes it's not worth the saving to make an extra trip to another store, or nag a busy husband to do something... :wink:

Thanks for your input.
Just to be clear here - here is a brief description of my home life.

Her: "I think we should get a cat"
Me: "I'm not so sure that's a good idea."
We have a cat.

Her: "What color should we paint the room? I like green."
Me: " I really like blue."
The room is green.

Her: "Should I take my car to the airport, or yours?"
Me: "You'd better take yours, I may need mine."
She took mine.

And so on. You get the picture.

The kitchen is the one area, the ONE AREA, where I get to throw my weight around, and I'm darned sure not going to miss my chance to do so.

There. I feel better now. Not bitter. Not bitter at all. :wink:
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:16 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:

I don't hate you, Thomas. I have one of those trees planted firmly in the ground outside my kitchen window.

I'll be hiking at the Point Reyes National Seashore today. Anybody need a bag of bay laurel? :D

Gary,

Is it the same kind of tree? I thought that most of the Bay bay (sorry) was different.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:22 pm

John Tomasso wrote:
Thanks for your input.
Just to be clear here - here is a brief description of my home life.

Her: "I think we should get a cat"
Me: "I'm not so sure that's a good idea."
We have a cat.

Her: "What color should we paint the room? I like green."
Me: " I really like blue."
The room is green.

Her: "Should I take my car to the airport, or yours?"
Me: "You'd better take yours, I may need mine."
She took mine.

And so on. You get the picture.

The kitchen is the one area, the ONE AREA, where I get to throw my weight around, and I'm darned sure not going to miss my chance to do so.

There. I feel better now. Not bitter. Not bitter at all. :wink:

Then I apologise for giving you a serve, John. Sounds like your fair lady can more than hold her own !!! :lol:
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:30 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:
Gary Barlettano wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:

Gary,

Is it the same kind of tree? I thought that most of the Bay bay (sorry) was different.

I really don't know, Oliver, but Bay bay is different indeed. I was introduced to this tree about 15 years ago on a nature walk as a tourist on the way to the Muir Woods. It's the only name I know it under and the only bay laurel I know here in the neighborhood. I picked a random website to find a picture and came across this one: Umbellularia californica. That's the tree alright. The leaves' volatile oils are super pungent and quite distinct to the point of being overwhelming and almost unappealing unless used judiciously. I prefer the bay leaves my Vietnamese friends smuggle in from there.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:31 pm

I buy my spices from Penzey's, and have found their Turkish Bay leaves to be very good. They have some excellent peppercorns, too.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines