Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ah, we get another chain restaurant?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sharon S.

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Buckinghamshire, UK

Re: Ah, we get another chain restaurant?

by Sharon S. » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:16 am

Jenise wrote:Sharon, you get fresh tortillas in England now? What a change from 20 years ago when I lived in Manchester. I used to have a friend send them to me from Los Angeles via interoffice mail. Always got there fresher than any other alternative!

Pretty much every supermarket sells 6-8 wheat tortillas packaged up and ready to use. They also come in a variety of 'flavours' in addition to the plain variety, such as multi-grain or herb & garlic. They're not too bad as far as freshness is concerned, but do benefit greatly from being gently warmed (microwave fine) first.

Haven't seen corn tortillas available to buy in supermarkets, but you can get them as an option in good mexican restuarants (don't know about the Manchester scene, but there are some I can recommend in London :) ).

The 'wrap' lunchtime option is very popular over here now. You can get a cold wheat tortilla and a variety of filling options, already pre-made up, alongside the sandwiches in most places. Personally, I prefer tortillas warm myself, but have gone for the cold wrap option when on business lunches, where the alternative has been disgusting processed bread sarnies! :roll:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:08 am

[quote="Sharon S
Pretty much every supermarket sells 6-8 wheat tortillas packaged up and ready to use. They also come in a variety of 'flavours' in addition to the plain variety, such as multi-grain or herb & garlic. They're not too bad as far as freshness is concerned, but do benefit greatly from being gently warmed (microwave fine) first.

Haven't seen corn tortillas available to buy in supermarkets, but you can get them as an option in good mexican restuarants (don't know about the Manchester scene, but there are some I can recommend in London :) ).

[/quote]

Why don't you make your own flour tortillas? They're easy and tasty.

I guess we're lucky here in Albuquerque. We have all kinds of corn and flour tortillas from numerous manufacturers.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:42 am

I'll agree with those who say Chipotles provides uninspired but reasonably tasty food on the cheap. I've been a couple of times and the main reason I won't go back is the huge portions. The burritos are ridiculous in their size and I can't imagine the calories involved. I think they only really belong in college towns, where there are lots of kids who can afford 900 calories in a lunch but can't afford to pay more than $10 for it.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:59 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I'll agree with those who say Chipotles provides uninspired but reasonably tasty food on the cheap. I've been a couple of times and the main reason I won't go back is the huge portions. The burritos are ridiculous in their size and I can't imagine the calories involved. I think they only really belong in college towns, where there are lots of kids who can afford 900 calories in a lunch but can't afford to pay more than $10 for it.

I agree with you Mike on the huge portions some places offer. The same huge portions are sold at Bandito Burrito. My husband eats half for lunch and brings home the other half for the next day. That is also why I get the "bowl" without the tortilla. I can control the amount the server is putting into my dish. You should see the look of horror when he is spooning the food in and I'm saying, "Thats enough!" But I end up with a just right portion which allows me a few of their warm chips with salsa! :wink:
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:33 pm

To amplify what Dwight Green posted, if you want to invest in restaurants just as a business matter, look into chains. They are an unglamorous segment of the industry but they bring in the business. (Much like the railroads in the game Monopoly, which traditionally are the properties people land on most often.) I could say more about this but that's enough.
Previous