Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ah, we get another chain restaurant?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Ah, we get another chain restaurant?

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:23 pm

Chipotle's Mexican Grill is opening tomorrow. I have never been to one. Anyone familiar with this chain and what do you think?
Oh, they are giving free food away on their opening day. Their comment to the reporter was that they don't want anyone to waste their money to "try them". Apparently, they feel their food is great and we will be back.
no avatar
User

Harry Cantrell

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Ah, we get another chain restaurant?

by Harry Cantrell » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:47 pm

From what I hear, burritos. Especially if you are from areas of the country that have little-to-no Mexican population.
Harry C.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:03 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Chipotle's Mexican Grill is opening tomorrow. I have never been to one. Anyone familiar with this chain and what do you think?
Oh, they are giving free food away on their opening day. Their comment to the reporter was that they don't want anyone to waste their money to "try them". Apparently, they feel their food is great and we will be back.

We have one here in the triad, and they sent out cards for free food when they first opened. They have burritos, tacos, etc. We get the burrito bowls (without tortillas). The food is good, and we go there quite often for a quick lunch on the weekends. Read more about them here http://www.chipotle.com/#undefined
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:21 pm

Karen, all I know about them is from the Wall Street angle--very well-managed company, explosive growth in the last five years, and a standout in the fast food sector. Does that mean the food's good? Well, no....
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:27 pm

I think they are owned by Mickey D's but don't hold that against them... heard good things but have not been there.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:48 pm

I've eaten there a couple of times....none recently. Had the barbacoa which was a very large, pretty tasty burrito-type treat. Of course, Cincinnati doesnt know real Mexican so my opinion has little weight.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:58 pm

I like the food. The carnitas is fantastic, the guacamole is tasty and the salsas range from mild to searing.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:41 pm

There's one in Rancho Cucamonga or the next town east from there whatever it is. I forget, but I ate in it once when I was traveling the Inland Empire . No great shakes as far as I'm conerned. Typical Cali-Mex fast food. Better than Taco Bell, less greasy and gloppy than Chevy's, not as good as Los Panchos in Pleasant Hill. :P
And now what?
no avatar
User

Dwight Green

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:36 am

Morgan Hill, California

by Dwight Green » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:23 am

Only know about them as an investment. Former San Francisco chef starts up a SF/Mex restaurant, McDonalds starts with a small stake which becomes a controlling interest. Because of their backing, they go from a dozen outlets to around 500. The IPO was about 2 years ago in which the price doubled in one day. It's now at about triple that intial close price.

About the food... ummmm... I have no idea.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:02 am

One curious point not yet mentioned here: Chipotles, the corporation, was owned by McDonald's, which just divested it as an independent company last year. The Mickey D's connection doesn't particularly inspire confidence in me. but to be honest, I've never eaten in a Chipotles.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:52 am

Karen,
(I've never been to one although there are several here in DC.)
I've read good thing about them, especially their purchasing. They tend to buy locally and avoid pesticides and stuff like that. I'll try to dig up the article and post a link.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:08 am

Karen, you should go, maybe you'll run into Merle Haggard there. I just read last night that he lives in your town.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:01 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Chipotle's Mexican Grill is opening tomorrow. I have never been to one. Anyone familiar with this chain and what do you think?

Just my two cents worth, but I have been to Chipotle's three times in my life to get the free burrito deal (once in Berkeley, California, once in Washington, DC, and once in Alexandria, Virginia). The fillings were fine, not memorable, but fine. But the tortillas they use were consistently pretty close to inedible for me--pretty much like eating a burrito that is wrapped in a huge rubber band. They get raves from major outlets like the Washington Post and the New York Times, but I know I would not pay to eat there. And how they could compete in the already burrito-dense communities of the Bay Area was beyond me.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:11 am

Edible but boring and uninspired. I mean, they just make burritos and it's not too easy to screw one of those up; slop some stuff in a flour tortilla and roll it up. They use run-of-the-mill ingredients and produce obscene portions. But I have eaten there and would do so again in a pinch. I just don't go out of my way to eat there.

Keith, for what it's worth, pretty much anything wrapped up in a flour tortilla tastes like a rubber band. At least to me.

rwj
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:30 am

Robert J. wrote:Keith, for what it's worth, pretty much anything wrapped up in a flour tortilla tastes like a rubber band. At least to me.

Not for me, Robert! A properly made burrito is an absolutely delicious experience . . . though filling to the point of being ridiculous!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:31 am

Keith M wrote:
Robert J. wrote:Keith, for what it's worth, pretty much anything wrapped up in a flour tortilla tastes like a rubber band. At least to me.

Not for me, Robert! A properly made burrito is an absolutely delicious experience . . . though filling to the point of being ridiculous!

This is just bias on my part. I am a corn tortilla lover to the bone.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:05 pm

Robert J. wrote:This is just bias on my part. I am a corn tortilla lover to the bone.

rwj

We are soul mates!
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:18 pm

Give a choice, I'll always choose corn over flour tortillas!
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Sharon S.

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Buckinghamshire, UK

by Sharon S. » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:08 pm

Both for me guys. :P I like the fact that both are out there and that I can choose between them depending on the mood I'm in.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:29 pm

Sharon, you get fresh tortillas in England now? What a change from 20 years ago when I lived in Manchester. I used to have a friend send them to me from Los Angeles via interoffice mail. Always got there fresher than any other alternative!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:53 pm

Jenise wrote:Karen, you should go, maybe you'll run into Merle Haggard there. I just read last night that he lives in your town.

Yes he does, I even used to get pedicures from his beautiful daughter, Kelly. Then she went into hostessing at restaurants, and since then has left town. Don't know what she is doing now but she was a knock-out.

We used to have permission to dock our boat, at his private dock at Lake Shasta, but we no longer have that toy. He does have a following here in Redding but I'm not one of the followers. I did see him recently at the Branding Iron Cafe which is located at the stock yards. He is looking very elderly now....and I don't know if he ever performs anymore.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:02 pm

Well, I will have to give them a try when all the hoop-la dies down. They are in a brand new beautiful area where Kohl's and Trader Joe's are also opening. Thanks for all the comments. I like the idea of the taco bowl without the shell. We have a Bandito Burrito two minutes from our home and I love to get the "fixins" in a paper bowl. Their shredded chicken breast is very well seasoned. I have it over lettuce, black beans, tomatoes, peppers, topped with cilantro, a few slices of avocado, and more hot peppers. Then I splash hot sauce and green sauce over the top. Little calories and a whole bunch of flavor.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:08 pm

Is it an Eastern based chain or Western based chain?

That will tell you plenty, IMHO.

[Native Californian...I was weened on Mexican food.]
no avatar
User

Steven Noess

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Minneapolis, MN USA

by Steven Noess » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:41 pm

You have to put Chipotle in perspective...it's market is the fast food market. It's not going to compare to legitimate dining establishments, but for what it is, and bearing that in mind, I think it is good. It does tend to be a little on the salty side (Ok, sometimes, even on the VERY salty side). But for $6, and the two minutes it takes to get your food, it is good.

I limit my fast food and I don't go to BK, McDs, etc....ever. But sometimes I just want something cheap and fast. For that I only have two places: Subway and Chipotle.

And as some have mentioned, I go for the "Bols" (not misspelled), too. No need for the flabby, tasteless tortilla they offer. Plus, one can mix the ingredients in the Bol and not have burritos with large patches of rice or beans, etc.
Next