Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Artichoke and Potato Ragout

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Artichoke and Potato Ragout

by Jenise » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:00 pm

Tonight's dinner is going to be vegetarian, a recipe/method for a relative quick and hearty stew of sorts consisting of artichokes, potatoes, herbs and olives that cook down into a wonderful melange of Provincial French goodness that's a perfect fall dinner with nothing more than sliced tomatoes and crusty bread. I'm no longer clear on the origins of the recipe, but it may have come from New York's Union Square Cafe. Since artichokes were recently on our collective minds here, I thought I'd share the recipe.

12 baby or 4 medium artichokes
10 ounces yukon gold potatoes
1 tblsp thinly sliced garlic
1/2 tsp coriander seed, crushed
1/2 tsp black peppercorns, crushed
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup EVOO
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 c pitted nicoise olives
2 tblsp coarsley chopped fresh mint leaves
2 tblsp chopped fresh bail
1 tblsp chopped parsley

Trim the archokes, peeling off the outer layer of tough leaves and trimming any tips and stems; also, remove the choke. If using larger artichokes, quarter. Drop into acidulated water.

Cut the potatoes into large dice, about 1". In a saucepan, combine the artichokes, potatoes, garlic, coriander, peppercorns, wine, water, olive oiland salt. Bring to a boil, lower the flame and simmer for aboiut 12 minutes.

When the artichokes are about done, add the remaining ingredients and continue simmering an additional five minutes or until the broth is concentrated.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: RCP: Artichoke and Potato Ragout

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:26 pm

How much water? This might be perfect for a dinner I'm doing on Saturday.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:16 pm

About a cup and a half, Stuart.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:54 pm

Merci.

Nice and basic, but the coriander is an interesting touch. I've used it with potatoes but never artichokes.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:34 am

Jenise

How easy is it to trim artichokes? In all of my cooking I have never even tried that - always been intimidated by reading about it. Any thoughts?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:52 am

John, it's very easy. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has poor knife skills--I have a friend who's prep-challenged because she absolutely cannot hold a knife blade facing her, so she pares like a wood carver--but if you're fearless and you have good knives it's no big deal. Cut off the upper third, trim the stem, start ripping away tough outer leaves away until you're down to the tender inner leaves, which is going to be about half way, trim away the stubs left by the outer leaves, remove the choke if using artichokes mature enough to have a choke which many baby artichokes don't (a grapefruit spoon works well for this), rub all cut surfaces immediately with lemon as you go, then drop the artichoke into a bowl of acidulated water while you prep the rest.

Do you get artichokes in Tokyo?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:15 am

John F wrote:How easy is it to trim artichokes? In all of my cooking I have never even tried that - always been intimidated by reading about it. Any thoughts?

In addition to Jenise's good advice, here's a FoodLetter article I wrote on the topic a while back, with some very useful links to an artichoke-industry Website with step-by-step photo instructions:

<b>Baby artichokes</b> (July 20, 2006)