Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Yes or no to escargot?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Yes or no to escargot?

No way I'm eatin' snails!
31%
Love 'em
44%
I can take or leave them
19%
Haven't tried them, but would be willing to
6%

Total votes : 36
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Yes or no to escargot?

by Carrie L. » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:51 pm

Bob Ross wrote:We've started sending our Clive to an overnight kennel -- a "Fat Farm" -- where he has a restricted diet.

Bob, this cracked me up.

Is Janet adjusting to having a small dog? Have you thought about getting another large dog? I know there is no replacing special pets.....
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:49 pm

Janet calls him an orphan, but he sticks to her like a shadow, sleeping on her feet, always trying to have even the tiniest bit of Clive in contact with Janet. (That resonates with me a bit. :) )

In any event, there are two reasons Clive tends to fat -- non-stop eating and Janet's soft heart for him. She's struck out on two litters of a new German Shepherd but we have a very good chance of getting a new puppy next February.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks for asking. Bob
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:54 pm

Seems odd to me that all you fresh food foodies here would even discuss whether or not you liked a particular canned food item. For in 90% plus of the restaurants where they are served that's what they are.

Had a place in Paris where I ate 'em regularly. They were good.
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Palo Alto, CA

by Peter Hertzmann » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:44 am

I'm coming to this thread late, but I like escargot in many different forms. Here's a partial selection of some of my escargot recipes. There’s more to escargot than garlic and butter.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:06 am

Moot point for me (they may barely be animals, but they are animals), but why bother using canned stuff when fresh snails are pretty much everywhere? I hereby invite any escargot fans to take as many as they like out of my garden.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:45 am

Escargot....YUM! I definitely love them.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:47 pm

Never had em. But I'd be willing to try them. I do agree though...garlic butter can cover up a lot.

Richard
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:54 pm

We learned to eat them in France when we were stationed in France in the early '60s.

When I got to Vietnam in '71 I ended up with a boss who was stationed in France the same time we were. He had enough sense to send back a few cases of them in his House Hold Goods.

When he went to Nam he shipped one case with his Hold Baggage! We enjoyed them, one can at a time for special occasions. One night, while meeting an incoming plane, we picked up a doctor whose sponsor didn't show up. We brought him back to our compound first, and let him share our dinner of grilled lobster tails, baguettes from downtown that our maids brought in, some veggies, and the escargot.

The next morning he checked into sick bay, and when asked what he ate the previous evening, he told them. They said, "don't you know you're not suppose to go downtown?" He told them he just ate with us, and we go investigated. Yikes! Doctors!
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:11 pm

There is a 5th choice here: I've tried them, but didn't like them.

That would be me.
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

by CMMiller » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:40 am

The real answer, like so many other questions, is "it depends". The main problem with snails is rarely slimey-gross, it's usually that they are rubbery and tasteless. That said, I have had some really good ones both here and in France and Oregon that were meaty, mild but tasty and excellent vehicles for their sauces. The ones I remember best where a snail and mushroom fricassee with an intense green herb sauce at Joel Palmer House in Oregon and a really fine casserole of snails and mushrooms en croute with a champagne cream sauce in L'Epine, France.

Then there were the sea snails I had in Normany once, dark evil-tasting briney creatures that looked like the thing that popped out of the guy's chest in Alien. scary stuff...
Previous