Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Whole filet canned tuna: worth the extra $?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Whole filet canned tuna: worth the extra $?

by Jenise » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:51 am

No.

It's been quite some time since I bought canned tuna (a pantry staple) in a regular supermarket--I typically buy a year's worth on my infrequent visits to a Trader Joe's (a Trader Joe's is opening here, and it's behind schedule, I'd hoped to restock locally by now). So when I did on Sunday, I was flummoxed by the number of choices available. In particular, the new product since I last bought tuna is at the premium end of things: nearly every brand had something called a premium whole filet priced well above the rest.

I needed two cans so, curious about the difference, I bought Bumble Bee brand in both cases, but one just called Solid White Albacore in Water, and the other Premium Filet Solid White Albacore in Water.

I opened the cans and drained the water off into identical small bowls. Even if I weren't going to measure the water, I'd have to do this for kitty treats, since the mere sound of the can opener brings cats running from all over the house. Most are old enough to remember that sound from the days before pop-top cat food.

Looked at the tuna: yeah, one was pretty, indeed a whole slice of tuna. The other was flakier but had some chunks. Tasted them. The non-premium can tasted slightly better to me, the other had more of a tinny taste, but no big deal--by the time the mayo and half a finely diced Walla Walla got into the bowl, that minor difference would disappear.

Measured the water: the premium can held two ounces exactly, the non-premium can held two ounces and one teaspoon. I wouldn't call that a material difference.

Oh, Cost: $1.79 vs. $2.79. Definitely not worth it.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Whole filet canned tuna: worth the extra $?

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:04 pm

I've tried the Bumble Bee version as well with the same non-interest in the upcharge.

My cats love the can opener as well. Mmm...tuna juice...

Mayo? Don't you hate mayo?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:23 pm

In a nutshell, it's a phobia, not a dislike. I fear all cold, white, jiggly stuff. So I use a little mayo at home in things like tuna sandwiches, but I'm limited to the one brand I've become unafraid of, and I avoid all cold, creamy white food outside my own home. Not rational, but I can't help it.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:30 pm

Ah. Makes more sense. Laura has a long standing aversion to soft/slimy textures (she wouldn't even eat baby food as a baby), so no mayo, no cooked mushrooms, no tapioca, no cream pies, etc.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:39 pm

Laura and I obviously have some variations (I love cooked mushrooms--they're not white and creamy) but we would get along very very well. Cream pies and tapioca pudding? Barf, I'm SO there.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:05 pm

Well until you saw her list of other inedibles (I can't really blame her, as her parents never made her try anything. And she's gotte nbetter over the years.): bell peppers, cilantro, fish (unless it's white, mild, and fried with chips), shellfish (except perversly lobster and crab, both of which she loves), lamb, all organ meats (no great loss there), tomatoes (too squishy), squash (unless it's yellow or zucchini drowned in a sauce), raddichio, arrugula (which I also hate - tastes dirty to me), all other bitter greens, olives, stinky cheeses, and a few others I haven't thought of.

We have determined that she is indeed a super taster & incredibly sensitive to bitterness, which explains several of hte green issues, as well as her issues with red wine.

Things keep changing though. She used to only eat fried rice from Asian restaurants & now she eats a whole host of things, even thai curries (as long as I leave out the bell peppers).
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:35 pm

I bought Bumble Bee brand in both cases, but one just called Solid White Albacore in Water, and the other Premium Filet Solid White Albacore in Water.
Is it just my imagination, or does tuna packed in water break down more readily than tuna packed in oil? Also, do you find a tremendous flavor variation? To me, the tuna packed in water has both an off taste and off texture (almost mealy). No matter what I mix it with or how it's prepared, it turns my stomach and I can't look at or smell tuna for months after. And, I have always been able to distinguish a tuna dish made with water processed as opposed to oil processed tuna. Is it just my imagination? :(
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:07 pm

David, I'm not convinced that parents making you try things really makes that kind of impact. The same circumstances would provide equal impetus for a different person to want to try everything. I believe that somewhere along the line we choose to go with or against parental influence, and probably for a host of reasons. I was the daughter of someone who made me try everything, and if anything it built in revulsions that otherwise might not have existed had I been able to wait until the circumstances in my Life Independent made me more curious and open-minded. Which most of us do, even with phobias like Laura's and mine. Good thing she has you to help her discover new worlds.

Joanne, DEFINITELY. Take preserved lemons. You can preserve them in either water or oil. The water-based lemons will be ready faster (2-3 weeks), but will be mushier and start breaking down after 3-4 months, having an overall shorter life span. Lemons preserved in oil will take longer to reach readiness, 4-5 weeks, but will hold just there for up to a year. No surprise that the same thing happens to proteins. The Trader Joe's tuna I mentioned? Packed in olive oil.