Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Four)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: What's Cooking (Take Four)

by Paul Winalski » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:51 pm

I've seen Kewpie mayonnaise for sale in a lot of Asian markets but I've never tried it. How does it compare to, say, Hellman's?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:58 pm

Kewpie uses egg yolk only, and I believe rice vinegar (and MSG). More assertive, tangy and umami. We keep both at home, I mostly use Kewpie for things I want intense, like sriracha mayo.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed May 01, 2024 11:11 am

Ramp season! Betsy and I visited the forest about 3 blocks from our house, took a hike, visited our 3 favorite ramp sites and found a new one. We only harvested 10-20% at each spot , but headed up with huge bundle. Betsy did the (tedious) cleaning, I grilled a few Sunday night. Last night we had a friend over and Betsy made sausage/ramp risotto. Lots more left, pondering options
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed May 01, 2024 12:45 pm

I'll be making gong bao ji ding (aka Kung Pao chicken) tonight.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 01, 2024 1:28 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Ramp season! Betsy and I visited the forest about 3 blocks from our house, took a hike, visited our 3 favorite ramp sites and found a new one. We only harvested 10-20% at each spot , but headed up with huge bundle. Betsy did the (tedious) cleaning, I grilled a few Sunday night. Last night we had a friend over and Betsy made sausage/ramp risotto. Lots more left, pondering options

I'm so envious! I've actually ordered some from the east coast just to know what you guys are talking about. Btw, friends in France right now are gathering wild garlic greens, an annual endeavor much like your ramps out of which a few seasonal favorites are made. What they can't use they dry to turn into a powder or liquify into bottled sauces.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Fri May 03, 2024 11:51 am

Dale Williams wrote:Ramp season! Betsy and I visited the forest about 3 blocks from our house, took a hike, visited our 3 favorite ramp sites and found a new one. We only harvested 10-20% at each spot , but headed up with huge bundle. Betsy did the (tedious) cleaning, I grilled a few Sunday night. Last night we had a friend over and Betsy made sausage/ramp risotto. Lots more left, pondering options

I don't know of any locals foraging places for ramps. I wish I did. I used to buy some from earthy.com but since they were bought out, they don't seem to carry them.

I did find some in a local grocery store and picked up some. I was cooking spinach to go with halibut so I chopped up one of the ramps and tossed it into the spinach. Boy was it good.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat May 04, 2024 11:03 am

It is pouring, with lots of wind here today, no Farmer's Market for me since I just had both cars detailed! Coming out of the kitchen today is a split organic chicken half, drizzled with apple cider vinegar and then seasoned well with garlic and onion powders, cayenne, thyme,paprika pepper, then place on a bed of onion slices, and garlic cloves which have been drizzled with the vinegar, as well. I love vinegar with chicken and it is a great tenderizer. I have lots of carrots so put a bunch in a bowl mix it with oregano oil and French Tarragon from the garden, and place them around the carrots so they can happily roast along with the chicken.
Green beans needed attention, will cook them with a little onion and garlic, then toss in the savory golden tomato sauce I love along with tarragon. Another side is a favorite of mine, Sour Cream, Horseradish, and Lemon Potato Salad with fresh rosemary.
Now, if the rain would just let up I could walk to the back of the property to get some rosemary!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 04, 2024 5:13 pm

Sounds good, Karen. You still have more than one car? (Not complaining, I'm the only driver and we have three.)

Rosemary...must go shopping for a new one. Mine died again this winter. They only last 3-4 years here, and then they die. I don't get it.

Not sure what we're having for dinner. I'm not in the mood to cook. When not chasing cats or zebras I've been cooking for a houseguest and just haven't had any time to post. Today, in relief from none of the above, I'm just vegging.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun May 05, 2024 9:54 am

Sounds good, Karen. You still have more than one car? (Not complaining, I'm the only driver and we have three.)

Yes Jenise, I have my Lexus SUV which I adore, the 2001 model, and Gene's 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Both of us take good care of our cars, and both look like new inside and out. We used the Jeep as our car to tow behind the RV but it was on a trailer. I have seen too many couples or single ladies give up a car and the issues one car brought. So I drive both every week, and keep both up.
When the kids were home we had my car, Gene's car, and his pickup, and each kid had a car. 6 cars were parked around our house. Good thing we have two huge driveways as our neighborhood rules say "no homeowners cars parked on streets " every house has a substantial garage and we have room for 4 cars parked inside. I love that rule as we are one of the few neighborhoods with nice wide streets and no cars on streets for any length of time except for visitors.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 05, 2024 10:24 am

I would love that rule, too, Karen! Increasingly, garages are simply storage places for the extra stuff and all the cars live outside. In fact, my next door neighbors converted the garage into more bedrooms when they remodeled so all their cars are on the street.
Drives me nuts!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 06, 2024 12:07 pm

Last night I made tacos--Cinco de Mayo and all that. Still trying to reduce the stuff in my freezer so rather than buy the ground meat I really wanted I used pork tenderloin which I marinated with Asian flavors, grilled and sliced to fill street size corn tortillas with slivered lettuce and avocado in a garlic-oregano-lime dressing.

Boy have store-bought tortillas gone to hell. They're all "super soft" which nobody should want and taste heavily of preservatives. But they have an indefinite shelf-life this way, and that's for the supply chain's benefit not the consumer's. I usually buy mine from a Mexican store who makes them fresh but didn't have the time to go get some yesterday.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon May 06, 2024 3:18 pm

I;m making ratatouille tonight.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 06, 2024 8:56 pm

It's 5:55 and I have no idea what I'm going to serve for dinner tonight. Just not hungry.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon May 06, 2024 11:39 pm

Jenise wrote:Just not hungry.

How often does that happen?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 07, 2024 5:19 am

Pretty rare. And there was no reason for it; perfect night to call it good with a big salad.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue May 07, 2024 10:48 am

Your tacos sound delicious Jenise, I did the same a while back and they were great. Last week on The Kitchen, the gang was doing some Mexican dishes and they mentioned a new tortilla made from corn and flour that they thought good. Have you come across it yet? I need to look at our market in the neighborhood and see if they have them. There is certainly no shortage of tortillas in Redding. I have a supply in the fridge and the last one I used was a sun-dried tomato, low-carb one that was not that good baked in the oven in a tortilla shell pan. It is much butter lightly fried which I am avoiding these days. I need to toss them all out and start over. I used them all the time when Gene was eating with me, it was an easy way to keep him in more calories when loaded up with cheese, and a few other things.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 07, 2024 1:46 pm

I understand about loading poor Gene with the calories; I have to do the same.

I did see some half and half type tortillas at the store on Sunday that were gluten free. I bought some elsewhere awhile back also GF but I think at Trader Joe's--and we liked them a lot. We don't have to avoid gluten, I just liked the look of them and wanted to know. They were a little larger than a standard corn tortilla but not as big as a standard flour tortilla. Fine for burrito-like applications or something you roll up. My issue is that if I'm making tacos, I want the standard corn tortilla size and I don't, emphatically don't, want this "super soft" (it says this on all the package now) stuff. They don't taste good, and most importantly they don't cook the same. I don't fry, I crisp them in a cast iron skillet with a short blast of cooking spray. I want a little of that char flavor and I want them a little crackly. Only pure corn tortillas without the super-softness additives can get there.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed May 08, 2024 12:18 am

Is your range gas? When I heat up pitas or naan, I put them right down on the burner grate. Flip them and move them around for 30 seconds or so.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed May 08, 2024 9:25 am

Betsy is chief tortilla crisper, I THINK she just puts corn tortillas in a small omelet pan.

Last night a new recipe I liked a lot. Crisp some bacon, add mushrooms and shallots, then tomatoes, stock, wine. Then some creme fraiche (we were out, used cream) and thyme sprigs. Add haddock filets, baste, and then broil. I really enjoyed, we used Benton's bacon (this is the place to use serious bacon)
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/102 ... -and-bacon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 08, 2024 12:02 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Is your range gas? When I heat up pitas or naan, I put them right down on the burner grate. Flip them and move them around for 30 seconds or so.

Yes, and a high-BTU professional model. I do some things on the grate but prefer cast iron for corn tortillas. They pick up that plancha flavor I love.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 08, 2024 3:22 pm

Dale, if the electricians get done early, I'm heading for the Lummi Reservation for fresh halibut. Will use this recipe--sounds terrific. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed May 08, 2024 10:36 pm

Changed my oil and oil filter this afternoon. Couldn't find my oil filter wrench, so I had to use the screwdriver method to remove. Everything turned out okay, and I was able to stand up afterward. >creak<

Then quick shower to remove oil.

Finally, I made my famous fried rice. Also stir-fried beef and bok choy with assorted veges I forgot to rehydrate some shiitakes, so I quickly rehydrated some cloud ear strips and used them, instead. Yum. Now, I'm kinda collapsed on my sofa. Doesn't take much to wear me out anymore.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 09, 2024 12:50 am

Larry Greenly wrote:Now, I'm kinda collapsed on my sofa. Doesn't take much to wear me out anymore.

But you've got new oil and a new oil filter. Like the Tin Man, you should be all ready to go! :lol:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu May 09, 2024 10:55 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:Now, I'm kinda collapsed on my sofa. Doesn't take much to wear me out anymore.

But you've got new oil and a new oil filter. Like the Tin Man, you should be all ready to go! :lol:

In general, it was easy. The filter and drain plug are both level with bottom of crankcase and easy to reach. Plus I saved $60-$70 that I can spend on groceries.

Sourdough bread making today.
PreviousNext