Wine Questionary:

Ullage, what is it?

This French term - pronounced "ull-idge" in English - refers to the air space in the neck of an unopened bottle of wine. This air bubble will be entirely within the neck of a normal bottle, but older bottles that have lost some of their contents may be described as having a "mid-shoulder fill" or even "low shoulder fill."

Back to list of questions