Meet Dennis Schaefer
Since 1992, Dennis Schaefer has been the regular wine columnist at the Santa Barbara News-Press. He feels fortunate to have witnessed and documented the increasing reputation of Santa Barbara County wines in the world marketplace.
He also writes about restaurants, food and travel for WESTWAYS, the AAA (Automobile Club) magazine of Southern California; he is a contributor to Gayot’s Gault-Millau travel guides in America (e.g., The Best of Los Angeles, Gayot’s Los Angeles Restaurants). He is the author of Vintage Talk: Conversations with California’s New Winemakers (Capra Press, 1994) and Touring the California Wine Country (Gulf Publishing, 1997).
Unlike Diogenes, he has given up the search for the truth and instead is seeking just a few good bottles of wine. If you would like to contact Dennis directly, he awaits your E-mail at Winedoofus@aol.com
- Doug Margerum has left the building
- Emiliana Organico: Chile's leader in organic and biodynamic wines
- Veramonte: Hot bargains from seaside Chile
- Albariño: When old world meets new world
- In northwest Spain, Albariño is the thing
- Foxen raises the quality bar
- Ken Volk walks among us (and that's a good thing!)
- Good news for Byron
- Swiss movement in Paso Robles
- Think pink: A rosé by any other name is not so sweet
- Getting down with (downtown) Byron Kent Brown
- Celebrating Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir
- Zaca Mesa pursues the elegant course
- J. Wilkes: A new name for artisan Pinot Noir in Santa Barbara
- Wine Spectator: You can't go Rhone again (please!)
- Gainey: One foot in the old, one in the new
- Foley Estates ups the ante for Pinot Noir
- Rusack Vineyards sets a new quality course
- Shock and Syrah
- The Devil is in the Details
- Syrah, The Next Big Red," Wow! Imagine that!
- Cherry picking in Santa Barbara
- Wine Book of the Year: "Vino Italiano"