The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A very good article by Dr. Buckner.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

A very good article by Dr. Buckner.

by Bob Ross » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:09 pm

Can’t put cork in screw-cap fight

Extract: The wheels began to grind ever so slowly, and then whipped themselves into overdrive. What in the world is Baumard, a house founded in 1634 (not a typo), using screw caps for? Have they gone mad? These wines are not made for immediate consumption like New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. They can easily age for a decade.

This caused me to rethink the screw cap. If a noble house such as Baumard is using these closures for their prized, ageable wines, they must have confidence in them. They must have investigated the research data closer than I have.

Very well done, Randy, thank you.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: A very good article by Dr. Buckner.

by Randy Buckner » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:57 pm

Bob, you really should frequent a better corner of cyberspace. Slow day at the ranch? 8)
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:07 pm

So how was the Baumard Randy? I could care less about the closure.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:28 pm

I take my fun where I find it, Randy. Follow my heroes with the help of Google Alerts and when they write something good, recognize one way or another.

A nice article -- but James has a good point.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:25 pm

I won't open the first one for probably 4-5 years. Infanticide and all of that stuff....
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:06 am

I've often wondered if Randy is a "Dr." in the "Dre", "Seuss" or "Doogie Howser" sense?
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:04 am

I've often wondered if Randy is a "Dr." in the "Dre", "Seuss" or "Doogie Howser" sense?

More along the Dr. Strangelove line:

General "Buck" Turgidson: I know how it is, baby. Tell you what you do: you just start your countdown, and old Bucky'll be back here before you can say "Blast off!"
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:20 am

Bob Ross wrote: This caused me to rethink the screw cap. If a noble house such as Baumard is using these closures for their prized, ageable wines, they must have confidence in them. They must have investigated the research data closer than I have.

Bob, I don't think that I have gained quite as many years as you, but one thing I have learned in spades is that you can't trust that just because some important somebody should have done the research, it was done correctly. Remember WMD?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:19 am

"Remember WMD?"

True enough, Covert. In that case, there may have been some bias toward believing Iraq's bluff for other reasons.

It's hard to see a bias toward screwcaps in this case, but perhaps I lack imagination. My personal corked rates bumped 10.0% on a rolling annual basis last night -- makes me cling to any news that might drop that rate a bit.

Even finding a drug that makes me less sensitive to TCA. :(
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:55 am

Bob Ross wrote:"Remember WMD?"

True enough, Covert. In that case, there may have been some bias toward believing Iraq's bluff for other reasons.

Hmm, I think you mean some bias not to believe Iraq's non-bluff . . .

In a letter addressed to the Secretary-General of the United Nations on September 19, 2002, Saddam Hussein wrote: "We hereby declare before you that Iraq is clear of all nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons."

Every part of this statement is suspect.

I'm surprised the State Department keeps this stuff up on their site . . .

But back to the wine, I agree with you, Bob and hope that screwcaps can help put a stake in TCA's heart . . . though my rarity in encountering it probably indicates that I am not as sensitive to it as you are. I hope your TCA batting average starts to slide!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:17 pm

Ah, but Keith, you've got to admit it's getting better, better all the time. (thanks to The Beatles for lyrics)

Why, just the other night I was at a dinner when Steve Edmunds showed up with a just-off-the-bottling-line Bone Jolly and Pinot Gris.

Both in screwcaps!!!!!! Yowza!

And when I arrived on the scene after another of my wife's bookclub soirees (closely akin to the aftermath of a rock star in a hotel room), I couldn't help but notice that amongst the debris was two screwcapped bottles.....and a Lazy Creek sparkling Gewurz that had a crown cap on it!

Did a trade tasting not too long ago, and with 12 bottles on the table, only three of them had actual tree bark plugs (fortunately, none of those were tainted).

So, it's happening. It's happening.

PS: The Bone Jolly was great. But the Pinot Gris was absolutely fantastic. You won't find a more complex, interesting, well structured white anywhere else on this continent. Best PG in the country, easily.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:48 pm

[quote="Hoke"]PS: The Bone Jolly was great. But the Pinot Gris was absolutely fantastic. You won't find a more complex, interesting, well structured white anywhere else on this continent. Best PG in the country, easily.[/quote

Shill! Huckster! How much do you get paid to write this stuff? Does Steve just feed you the lines and you just post them? How are we east coast people ever supposed to know what this stuff tastes like when you keep hogging all the allotments to yourself?

P.S. When are you coming back to DC? Bring some ESJ with you.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:47 pm

Bob Ross wrote: My personal corked rates bumped 10.0% on a rolling annual basis last night -- makes me cling to any news that might drop that rate a bit. (

That's horrible, Bob. Do you find TCA in any type of bottle more than another? I've mentioned before that I find it a lot (maybe as much as 10%) in California Chardonnay, which I drink a lot of; but very rarely in Bordeaux reds. Sometimes I wonder if the odds of a bad cork is proportional to how much a property is willing to pay for one. (I know TCA comes from other places, too; but mostly from corks.)

For some reason it doesn't bother me to get a bad chard, because I don't spend too much for them, I guess; I just open another one. But if I got a bad fourth growth, or something like that, I would be p---ed. I know that even an occasional Lafite falls prey, but I don't get many bad Bordeaux.

Covert
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:48 pm

Covert,

I haven't seen a real pattern, Covert. I did buy a large collection of Bordeaux from a friend that had good storage for as long as we could determine it. It's run about 10% corked from that collection -- two pristine 1982 Pichon Comtesse Lalandes a couple of months ago, for example. We've both wondered if the collection picked up the corkiness somewhere along the line from storage, maybe even something in my own wine cellar.

I don't find it much in cheaper wines -- under $20 or so -- but then I favor screw tops at that price level.

I did discuss this problem with a sommelier at Daniel a month ago -- she said they ran a "hard 8%" rate -- and their list is similar to what's in my cellar. I know I'm pretty sensitive to TCA, so an additional 2% wouldn't be inconsistent with Daniel's results (where Daniel Johnnes is the Wine Director).

Beats me. :(
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:09 pm

Hoke wrote: PS: The Bone Jolly was great. But the Pinot Gris was absolutely fantastic. You won't find a more complex, interesting, well structured white anywhere else on this continent. Best PG in the country, easily.

Hoke I have a six pack of the Bone Jolly laying around downstairs, and need to try one of them. Now, about that best PG in the country tag. I know Steve does some serious alchemy in the cellar, and even does a better than decent syrah or four. But, best in the country...must be awfully good if it beats Stone wolf!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:07 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:

I won't open the first one for probably 4-5 years. Infanticide and all of that stuff....

Randy, where's your winespeak? It's not infanticide , it's vinfanticide :wink:
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:21 pm

Randy, where's your winespeak? It's not infanticide , it's vinfanticide

Hey, cut me some slack, lady -- I just graduated from Knuckle Dragging 101 you know.... :wink:

Cute -- I'm stealing it.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:39 pm

Bob,

The Pinot Gris comes from the Witters Vineyard, same as the Bone Jolly, up in Eldorado County.

What can I say, the PG is wonderful stuff. I was floored by it...and it happened to be in pretty damned good company that night---Chassagne Montrachet, Gruner Veltliner, Vouvray, and some others.

It had a remarkably perfumed nose, substantial body, and startling complexity of flavors. I'd love to try it blind on Europhiles to see what origins they'd come up with. As with most of Steve's wines, it's new world sourced but old world styled.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:10 pm

Hoke wrote:

PS: The Bone Jolly was great. But the Pinot Gris was absolutely fantastic. You won't find a more complex, interesting, well structured white anywhere else on this continent. Best PG in the country, easily.

Oooh nooo! Now I have to try to track down yet another ESJ wine. I now know how the Deadheads felt.

JuliaB
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:14 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Hoke I have a six pack of the Bone Jolly laying around downstairs, and need to try one of them.

Bob, word to the wise..when you try the Bone Jolly..wear loose fitting clothes, have a surface upon which to pound, and a cigarette for after.
Just sayin'.

JuliaB