Most common fruits found in red and white wines?

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Most common fruits found in red and white wines?

Postby Bruce Hayes » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:01 pm

Was thinking about wine (as I almost always do) and got to wondering on this question.

For red wine, I would have to say that cherry would be the most common fruit that I find, while white is a tougher call. I love Riesling, so that calls up grapefruit, lemon and limes, but pear and apples are other strong choices for other wines.

So, if I had to pick, I would say:
Red wine = cherry
White wine = lemon

How about you?
Bruce Hayes
Wine guru

Re: Most common fruits found in red and white wines?

Postby Sue Courtney » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:56 pm

Good call.
I get cherry in pinot noir, shiraz, merlot, sangiovese - not so often cab sauv unless blended.
I get citrus in many whites - not just lemon - but also lime, grapefruit, orange, tangelo - you could find one or some of these in sauvignon blanc (grapefruit, lime, sometimes lemon), riesling (lemon/lime), chardonnay (lemon - esp cooler climate), pinot gris (lemon), gewurztraminer (more orange water), and so on. Something to do with the acidity, methinks.
Sue Courtney
Wine guru

Postby Bernard Roth » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:10 pm

I know this is going to surprise you, but the most common fruit I get in wines is the grape varietal that matches the one on the label. Rieslings in particular usually taste like riesling grapes, though the occasional one from Alsace has left me somewhat baffled.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
Bernard Roth
Wine guru

Postby Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:48 am

I get quite a bit of plum and blackberry in many red wines that I like, especially the mythical "Zinberry" in Zins.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
Brian K Miller
Passionate Arboisphile

Postby Bernard Roth » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:52 am

I cannot answer definitively - which would require that I know the principle aromatics in cherry and similar red wines. Roughly speaking, wines that smell like cherry have some of the same aromatic compounds or such similar compounds that they evoke similar responses in the nose.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
Bernard Roth
Wine guru

Postby Bernard Roth » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:28 am

There are texts on the chemistry of wine. I've seen some, without opening them. So yes, the research has been done. I'm not volunteering to do the library work, though, to get to the bottom of it.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
Bernard Roth
Wine guru

Return to The Wine Forum