The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Grüner Veltliner and Nebbiolo :-)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Grüner Veltliner and Nebbiolo :-)

by Saina » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:25 pm

• 2003 Vietti Langhe Nebbiolo Perbacco - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe (10/21/2006)
    14% abv, 18,89€. Very dark for a Nebbiolo. The nose upon opening was quite lovely and typical Nebbiolo: red toned fruit, a bit earthy and mineral, fresh and very fragrant with very variegated fruit and floral notes. The more air it got, the more modern it style it became. Now having been open for three hours it has lots of blueberry notes and oak and though it has some vegetality, it is indistinguishable as Nebbiolo. The palate is big and sweetly fruity, yet with lovely and copious tannins. There is adequate acidity despite the year. The oak is rather too dominant at present, but the aftertaste still remains fresh. This is very good, despite some stylistic reservations that I have.
  • 2004 Bátaapáti Estate Zöldveltelini Mőcsényi - Hungary (10/21/2006)
    I.e. Grüner Veltliner. I've no idea what Mőcsényi means though. 12,5% abv; 9,80€. Apparently this is some sort of collaboration with the Antinoris of Italy. Gold - evolved looking. The nose is true Grüner Veltliner, a little peppery and spicy, pleasantly vegetal, citrussy and apply. It is more earthy than mineral, though. The palate has a very curious texture, almost like cloth! Despite being curious, the texture is actually pleasant and works well. The acidity is high, but the fruit is high, it is rather full bodied and - in contrast to the scent - more mineral than earthy. I like it: it is typical GV, yet with that red toned spiciness that Hungarian wines so often seem to have. One of the best cheaper wines I've had recently.

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Grüner Veltliner and Nebbiolo :-)

by Saina » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:29 pm

Help! how can I get the "ő" to become an "o" with two acute accents above it?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:22 pm

You can cut and paste this... ő

oops..that didnt work either!
Last edited by Bill Buitenhuys on Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:44 am

"Möcsenyi" simply means "from (the village/town called) Möcseny", just as "Tokaji" means "from Tokaj". You have a similar suffix type in German: "-er".

(Sorry, didn't bother for the correct diacritica.)
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam