The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

"Seven Deadly Zins". A recent instore tasting with a surprise result!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

"Seven Deadly Zins". A recent instore tasting with a surprise result!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:17 am

Thirty participants and a lot of interest in Zinfandel naturally. I was not hosting this time around so was just a regular keen taster!!
6 reds plus a reception wine which was the `03 Greg Norman Lake Co. Zin. This had a lot of alcohol on the nose and was a tad hot on the finish. Oak and tannins with a slight metallic taste on the finish. Who buys this stuff?

`02 Due Palme Salento Primitivo, Apulia, Italy.

Deepcolour/medintense centre/almost black. Does not smell sweet like the Norman/still tannin and oak/will age/gd fruit. Quite popular/$14 Cdn.

`05 Delicato Gnarly Head Old Vines,Lodi.

Always thought drink now/light purple tinges/light centre. Dark berry flavours/plum/pepper/some chocolate. Very nice/could not stand up to the next two but good wine. $17.00 Cdn.

`02 EOS Zinfandel, Paso Robles.

Lightest looking colour here of all/vgd nose-perfume/elegant. Soft tannins/boysenberry/ex acidity/chocolate as it breathes. Good with duck/nice black pepper. Tastes better that it looks/$25 Cdn.

`02 Sebastiani Old Vine, Sonoma.

This winery is on a roll, remember last time I had the Pinot!! V gd nose/great depth of colour/textbook nose w. brambleberry, kirsch. Black berry fruits/gd acidity/cloves/raspberry. WOTN, $18 Cdn

`03 Cape Mentelle Zin, Margaret River, Aust.

With the tasters, many voted this WOTN!! 16%alc/port-like nose/redruby colour. Blackcurrant/balckberry/"red twisters"/"bubblegum"/raisin quality/chocolate.Finish is porty/earth/nice stuff. $31 Cdn. Flew out of store after close of tasting. Just goes to show mass appeal of Oz big fruit bombs, LOL.

`03 A. Mano Prima-Mano Primitivo, Apulia.

This is good wine but lost after 2 stunners. Great fruit nose/oak/black fruits. Plum/jam/cherry/raspberry, chocolate/spice. Gd finish/benchmark Prim. Not cheap$34 Cdn.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: "Seven Deadly Zins". A recent instore tasting with a surprise result!

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:39 am

Nice group there, Bob.
From the title I thought I'd see a review of the Phillips "7 Deadly Zins"from Lodi. :wink: Tough having that primitivo at the end after some big zins.
no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:10 am

by Alan Uchrinscko » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:08 pm

Zin tastings are most usually a bad idea. We had one last summer, and most of my group are real burg-lovers. The next day was painful for nearly everyone involved because if you sample 20 zins in a night the booze gets you a hell fo a lot sooner than a 13% Burg. We vowed never to have one again!
Alan Uchrinscko
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:06 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:Nice group there, Bob.
From the title I thought I'd see a review of the Phillips "7 Deadly Zins"from Lodi. :wink: Tough having that primitivo at the end after some big zins.

Yeah good one, still have not opened mine yet!! Its in the line up but has been removed from the kitchen countertop.

http://www.lodivineyards.com/wines7dz.htm
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:15 pm

Bob, it look like you have got the quote thing figured out! :)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:01 pm

Yup,until I only want to quote part of the previous message! I am planning on tomorrow for sort-it-out day.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:48 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
`03 A. Mano Prima-Mano Primitivo, Apulia.

This is good wine but lost after 2 stunners. Great fruit nose/oak/black fruits. Plum/jam/cherry/raspberry, chocolate/spice. Gd finish/benchmark Prim. Not cheap$34 Cdn.

Bob
Indeed even this wine (their flagship?) sounds very international (re: our comments on earlier thread) - I've not tasted a bad wine from them, but yet to taste one I've found remotely interesting. It seems big marketing and safe wines are their recipe. Maybe I'm a little harsh...
regards
Ian