The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lovely stuff: Muscadet, Alsace, Chinon, Belgium

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Lovely stuff: Muscadet, Alsace, Chinon, Belgium

by Saina » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:31 pm

Domaine Hautes Noëlles Muscadet Côtes de Grandlieu 2005 12%
Lovely stuff! Classic if a bit fruity nose of sea breeze and minerals. The palate gives you a proper acid mouthwash with supporting minerality and even plentiful fruitiness for those of you who like that. Nice! But stoppered with a plastic stopper. :( And also costs a bloody 15€ here! Highway robbery for a decent Muscadet...

Trimbach CFE 2000 12,5%
Strangely sweet nose of strawberry, slight botrytis, very fruity, stone dust, some minerality. The palate was also surprisingly fruity, decent acidity and minerality. Ok. Frankly unimpressive for what I expected from this favourite producer.

Lorenz GC Altenberg de Bergheim Pinot Gris 2002 14%
Nice enough stuff. Spicy, earthy nose, with a delightful hint of dried mushroom and mineral. The palate had a slight sweetness to it, but had surprisingly good acidity for the grape and was mineral. Long. Nice.

Cave de Turckheim GC Brand Gewurztraminer 2002 13,5%
Elegantly floral and full on nose, with some minerality peeking through the plushness. The palate was slightly sweet, nicely acidic for the grape, mineral - almost pungently mineral -, with the loveliest intensity on the aftertaste. Very nice!

Couly-Dutheil Chinon La Baronnie Madeleine 2001 12,5%
A surprisingly oaky nose considering what the praise I have read about this producer on Therapy! Bell pepper too! Seemed more like one of those admittadly few Californian Cabernets that I have truly liked! The palate was delighfully savoury, with fine acidity balancing the sweet Cab F fruit. For the 13 or so € this costs: lovely! But needs a year or so time for the oakiness to settle on the nose. The palate was fine, though.

Château Puygeraud 2003 Cotes de Franc 13,5%
Crushed stone berries on the nose with a bit of oak. More S. French than Bx, but nice enough if you like sweet fruit bordering on the jammy. The palate was a bit more savoury, but was still rather full on. A pleasant simple quaff.

Vincent Girardin Santenay 1er Cru Les Gravieres VV 2002 13,5%
Delighfully shitty nose! :) Red berries, sweet beetroot and earth on the nose also. The palate had fine fruit and acidity as well, but for some reason it just didn't scream Burgundy at me.... very odd. I liked it well enough any way.

Banfi Centine 2004
A blend of Bx varieties and Sangio. Boringly international nose despite not much oak. Similar palate. Very forgettable.

Disznókö Tokaji 6 Putt 1990

So badly corked that even I noticed it, though I'm not sensitive to cork taint.

Disznókö Tokaji 6 Putt 1993
Lovely clean, botrytised, apricotty and immensely intense and pungent smell. The palate was also incredibly intense and acidic but very sweet and fruity also. Lovely stuff, though in the unoxidised modern style of Tokaji.

Then we went to a bar to watch soccer (booooring) and drink a few stunning beers ( :) ):

Rodenbach Grand Cru
Sparkling Musar. Yum. I was a happy camper.

Cantillon Gueuze
Brett. Drier than the Sahara. Yum.

Cantillon Kriek
Like the Gueuze, except a lovely hint of Cherry mixed to the austere, Trimbachy style. I heartily recommend Cantillon for all fans of Trimbach.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.