The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Vacation Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

WTN: Vacation Wines

by Mark Lipton » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:40 am

From our recent trip to Florida:

2005 Valley of the Moon Pinot Blanc (14% ABV)
nose: delicate, floral, minerals
palate: light boodied, no overt oak, crisp, apples

Very refreshing and surprising. My sister-in-law got it because it got an 88 from the Spec, so I was expecting something bigger and oakier. Nothing to cause loss of sleep in Alsace, but easily as good as most Oregon Pinot Blancs.

2003 Franciscan Magnificat (CS/Merlot/Malbec/Petit Verdot)
n: pencil lead, berries, dusty
p: medium-full body, fine-grained tannins, rich fruit, cocoa, a hint of something herbal, good balance

Another pleasant surprise. This wine was purchased because my father-in-law loves Clos du Bois Marlstone, which is now priced out of his range, and this sounded like a similar Bordelaise blend... and because my mother-in-law is a member of a lay Franciscan order and loved the name. In fact, it took me back to what California Cabernets used to taste like in the late-'70s and '80s and was (again) surprisingly restrained with the new oak. Only after an hour or two did the oak come forward as a taste of butterscotch in the finish, but it still wasn't at all obtrusive.

2003 Storybook Mountain Mayacamas Range ($30)
n: juicy berry fruit, black pepper
p: medium body, rich berry fruit, somewhat soft

A straightforward but enjoyable Zin, less structured than is typical for Storybook Mountain. A crowd pleaser with my in-laws.

2005 Guigal Cotes du Rhone Blanc (50% Viognier/25% Roussanne/25% Marsanne)
n: white pepper, stone fruit, minerals
p: medium body, stone fruit, fresh acidity, no oak

Purchased by my father-in-law on the recommendation of a reliable local retailer and opened out of curiosity. Had I tasted this blind, I would have guessed Grüner Veltliner, though this wine didn't have that green character that I normally find in GV. Quite nice, though hard to peg as CdR and a bit pricey at $18.

Mark Lipton