The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Let's test a new Chat Room today!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Let's test a new Chat Room today!

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:01 pm

I found a fairly robust looking little chat room that we can rent for an almost nominal amount (under $10 per month), so just for the halibut, let's try it today!

We'll have the formal session in about two hours from now - 4 p.m. US EDT, 1 p.m. Pacific, 2000 GMT - but if you'd like to audition the system and start picking nits, please feel free to log in at any time. Click the link below, and when you get to the entry page, just enter whatever user name you would like.

WLDG Chat Room for testing
Last edited by Robin Garr on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Re: Let's test a new Chat Room today!

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:04 pm

Chat's on! C'mon in ...
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:19 pm

Well done. It looks pretty good to me.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:22 pm

Pretty nice, Robin. I like the who is typing feature. Thanks for the experiment. But -- is it fair to the folks at Netscape?
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:32 pm

Clean and simple -- seems fine for all levels of computer users.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:33 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Pretty nice, Robin. I like the who is typing feature. Thanks for the experiment. But -- is it fair to the folks at Netscape?

Sure, Bob. It's not really related. Just out of curiosity, though, if you doubted that, would it have been most prudent to mention it in public?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:42 pm

Sorry.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:03 pm

Randy says.."looks simple for all computer users". `cus me!!! I for one had no idea what to do once I entered a user name ie albertabob. Maybe as it is 6pm MT right now I missed the connection or whatever.
Where`s Bob H when I need him!!
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:10 pm

I missed Sunday chat (as usual - the time is tough for me), but I went over to visit and the new format looks functional and good.

Good job!
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:44 pm

Randy says.."looks simple for all computer users". `cus me!!! I for one had no idea what to do once I entered a user name ie albertabob.

I said computer users, not people who keep their head stuck in oil sand. :twisted: The talk probably quit around 3 p.m. MT. You missed dinner again.... :shock:
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:22 am

:roll:

How does one start in this forum and end up in the other? I dunno, but I did it, anyway ...

I thought that little chat room was kinda neat, especially the sound bytes with which I amused myself in my hotel room.

Is this something that'll be open all the time so we can drop in and maybe bump into a fellow-traveller? I think I'd like that since I'm seldom around for the regular chat sessions.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:03 am

Bob, once you entered your username wasn't there a button with the work connect on it? if not then yours is different than mine. If so, then click on connect and your computer should bring up a program known as Java, which shows a cup of coffee while it is starting. after that is started your chat window should appear, sorta like magic. You then type in the little yellow window at the bottom of the chat window and either hit send with your mouse or enter on your keyboard and you are chatting. you have my email address so ask away if you have any more problems.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:10 am

Gary Barlettano wrote:Is this something that'll be open all the time so we can drop in and maybe bump into a fellow-traveller? I think I'd like that since I'm seldom around for the regular chat sessions.

Gary, barring unforseen events (like hackers or pirates taking it over), I'll plan to leave the Chat Room open all the time. Eventually, assuming we decide to keep it, as it looks like we will, I'll try to figure a way to integrate it more clearly into the forum so there'll be a handy button.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:29 am

In the meantime, what I have done is to drag the link to my personal toolbar in Firefox. I dropped it right beside the button for your home page. So all I do is click on chat in the toolbar and am taken straight to the chatroom. Actually I am taken straigth to Java and then to chat.I like the new place and it seems that alll who came in yesterday share my thoughts on it.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:45 am

Robin, the new chat room gets my vote. There are so many features that we've missed (or never had) like cutting and pasting into the message, or the clickable link and of course, the "kids" had fun with the new sound effects.
Good job, RG!
JuliaB
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:18 am

Bob Henrick wrote:In the meantime, what I have done is to drag the link to my personal toolbar in Firefox. I dropped it right beside the button for your home page. So all I do is click on chat in the toolbar and am taken straight to the chatroom. Actually I am taken straigth to Java and then to chat.I like the new place and it seems that alll who came in yesterday share my thoughts on it.

Bookmarking the chat room is a good option, Bob, but once we settle on it for sure, I'll still put a button in the forum just to make it handy. I remember seeing yesterday when I was setting it up that they offer some features to "integrate" it with a PhpBB forum, but I'll need to learn more about that.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:20 am

JuliaB wrote:Robin, the new chat room gets my vote. There are so many features that we've missed (or never had) like cutting and pasting into the message, or the clickable link and of course, the "kids" had fun with the new sound effects.

Thanks for the vote, JB!

I think we all agree that this is the best chat room yet, and surprisingly, it's not nearly as expensive as the one we had before Netscape. My only concern is that we give the new one plenty of use for a few weeks before making an absolute commitment to it, and make sure there aren't any undiscovered bugs. The real deal-breaker on the old one for me was the way that it constantly bounced people out and often the whole server would go down and take the room unavailable. And especially considering that, it was way too expensive for me to operate. This one is quite reasonable at the current level, and they have an "upgrade" with even more bells and whistles, but I'm not sure it's worth it for us.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:21 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Randy says.."looks simple for all computer users". `cus me!!! I for one had no idea what to do once I entered a user name ie albertabob. Maybe as it is 6pm MT right now I missed the connection or whatever.
Where`s Bob H when I need him!!

Bob,
if you have no idea what to do once you have entered, then click on the Help option on the top menu. That is assuming you the Java window came up, as Bob H explained.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:01 pm

An excellent new chat room, indeed. Thanks Robin! And a very good turn-out for the first trial run, too.

Looking forward to doing it all again next week.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:21 pm

David Lole wrote:An excellent new chat room, indeed. Thanks Robin.

Hear, hear!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:46 pm

Yes, a nice chat room.

Bob H, what's all this talk about Java and coffee cups? Buy a Mac and you don't have to go through that nonsense :)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:52 pm

Thomas, I knew a guy named Mac once, and he didn't put up with any nonsense either!
Bob Henrick