Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

TTN: Formosa Superior Top Fancy Oolong

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

TTN: Formosa Superior Top Fancy Oolong

by Saina » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:16 pm

From Taiwan. Brewed at c.85 C for 2-3 mins. The nose is very floral with a nice hint of cinnamon. The palate is a little tannic, fruity (if this word is ever used with teas, LOL!!), smooth (as oolongs in my small experience tend to be) rather than astringent - I actually generally prefer astringent teas to smooth ones. The first Oolong that I truly have liked. But I still think I'll stick to other types of tea.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TTN: Formosa Superior Top Fancy Oolong

by Jenise » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:54 pm

Otto, I'm surprised the oolongs don't appeal. I kind of think of them as the pinot noir of teas. Very aromatics driven.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:46 pm

It's funny, I remember oolong from my first impressions of tea over twenty years ago. Can't recall having seen the name over the intervening years (I'm not a great tea buff).
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:38 pm

Jenise wrote:Otto, I'm surprised the oolongs don't appeal. I kind of think of them as the pinot noir of teas. Very aromatics driven.

Yes, but as I just wrote in another thread (Dong Fang Mei Ren), it lacks all savoury qualities that would make it balanced for me. I do appreciate certain aspects of Oolongs - their refined and elegant properties especially - but a lack of grip and savouryness makes them all unbalanced for me.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.