The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Practice forum open

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Re: Practice forum open

by wrcstl » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:28 pm

Since we tend to use our real names I would like to know who the assitant custonian is. Makes for a more friendly place
Walt
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:38 pm

That's Randy R, Walt. He usually posts under his own account ... ForumAdmin is a persona with Awesome Powers that he uses when he's doing forum maintenance. I expect he forgot which hat he had on when he was posting.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:25 pm

Robin Garr wrote:That's Randy R, Walt. He usually posts under his own account ... ForumAdmin is a persona with Awesome Powers that he uses when he's doing forum maintenance. I expect he forgot which hat he had on when he was posting.

How many people have Awesome Powers in this setup, Robin?
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:34 pm

How many people have Awesome Powers in this setup, Robin?

Jenise and Robin monitor the board, and RR is a phpBB expert who helped set it all up and is maintaining the software.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:33 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:How many people have Awesome Powers in this setup, Robin?

Expanding on what Bucko said, Sue, I've asked Jenise to back me up and have given her the necessary powers to wipe out spam and similar graffiti when I'm not around. Randy was kind enough to give us tech help in setting up the PhpBB system, and as the chief programmer he also has admin powers.

As in the past, though, the same rules apply: With the exception of obvious spam by outsiders (less likely in this registration-based forum), we don't anticipate deleting threads, and upon the rare occasions when a post by a "regular" needs to be moved for reasons I consider sufficient, I'll let the group know what was up with that.

I don't think that there's anything new about any of this, other than that to avoid any criticism - fair or otherwise - we've agreed to limit message management powers to myself, one moderation associate and one technical associate.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:55 pm

OK this is great, just what is needed. Thanks all.

Question. When one logs in, how do I check to see if there are any responses to a question, a post whatever? For instance this morning I asked a question about a missing post I entered last night. Still have not found it.

Better still, how would I as a regular forumite keep track of all my posts?

Question.What is the "List" key for, it is above here next to "Code".

Thanks.[/list]
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:09 pm

HEY...

I thought Randy R. only turned into ForumAdmin every full moon. It's new moon right now. He's two weeks off. :)

-Paul W.

Robin Garr wrote:That's Randy R, Walt. He usually posts under his own account ... ForumAdmin is a persona with Awesome Powers that he uses when he's doing forum maintenance. I expect he forgot which hat he had on when he was posting.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:15 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Expanding on what Bucko said, Sue, I've asked Jenise to back me up and have given her the necessary powers to wipe out spam and similar graffiti when I'm not around. Randy was kind enough to give us tech help in setting up the PhpBB system, and as the chief programmer he also has admin powers.

As in the past, though, the same rules apply: With the exception of obvious spam by outsiders (less likely in this registration-based forum), we don't anticipate deleting threads, and upon the rare occasions when a post by a "regular" needs to be moved for reasons I consider sufficient, I'll let the group know what was up with that.

I don't think that there's anything new about any of this, other than that to avoid any criticism - fair or otherwise - we've agreed to limit message management powers to myself, one moderation associate and one technical associate.

Thanks, Robin. As someone else said, that's all we need to know.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:09 am

Randy R wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Question.What is the "List" key for, it is above here next to "Code".

Bob, there is a link to a page in the practice area that has the answers to all the tag questions. Please read it when you get a chance, it'll make a big difference to you I think.

Thanks Randy, I have seen it plus much of the other info! My black ink cartridge is playing up so am unable to print off the relevant posts. Will get to it on Tuesday hopefully. Anyway I will keep trying here as time allows but I am rather intimidated by it all!

OK I did a preview, does not look too bad but need to get rid of my original question surely? Just put in your quote eh.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:44 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:OK I did a preview, does not look too bad but need to get rid of my original question surely? Just put in your quote eh.

Doesn't look bad at all, Bob! You really needn't worry about leaving in your original question, but should you wish: BEFORE you post, use your delete key (or else select a relevant portion with your mouse) and DELETE the bits between
Someone's name wrote: and
that you do NOT wish to have show up.

Remember that you can always use the Preview button to see if your setup worked.

Bear in mind, Bob, that you did a great job of learning the Netscape forum, which is much, much more complicated than this. Remember also that we're here to help you and answer your questions. And remember that you've already solved the basics: You're reading, replying and posting, and that's good! All this other stuff is just bells and whistles, and we're all learning it at our leisure.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:15 pm

Sue, I am going to resurrect your question, and the reason I am doing so is that I see more than Robin and Jenise listed as forum moderators. anyone know the answer? If the moderators have no Awesome Powers, why have moderators?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:20 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:ps, the practice area is a non-smoking area, but drinks are allowed. Please do NOT leave non-empty glasses when leaving.

Dear Forum Admisistrater,
I for one do not mind if non empty glasses are left, just so long as there is a note telling me what is in the glass? I hate that 2 day old white zin though!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:28 pm

Note to the Administrator:

Dear Sir;
I posted a reply to you just a few minutes ago in the practice forum. the reply is in regards to the non-empty glasses left in the forum. My last sentence reads " I hate that 2 day old some wine though". [color=cyan]And what I wrote (several times) was " I hate that 2 day old w h i t e z i n though"[/color]
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:37 pm

Dear administrator,

Can you tell me why every time I type w h i t e zin, the software changes the words to the word some? (If I do not space the letters in the word white it is changed to some) And no jokes from the peanut gallery required.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:41 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Can you tell me why every time I type w h i t e zin, the software changes the words to the word some?

Bob, when RR and I were setting up the new forum, we played around with the "word censor," which watches for certain words that are considered inappropriate and substitutes terms for them. It's intended to nab the F word and such, but as a joke, someone set it up to censor "white zin" and turn it into "some wine".

Frankly, we intended to clean all that up before the forum opened, but since the forum sort of got out of our control and opened itself up unofficially before we had intended, a lot of finishing touches weren't (and still aren't) done. That was one of them.

I've fixed it now, so if you've got a White Zin TN, post on!
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:44 pm

The word white seems to be right in your last post Bob.

OK, just a little slow here.... :)
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:00 pm

rgarr wrote:I've fixed it now, so if you've got a White Zin TN, post on!

Dear forum administrator:
You give me no credit do you? I do remember once though when Beringer came out with some kind of upscale white zin and I reported on it. IIRC, my report went something like DNPIM!
Bob Henrick