The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Heidler Gruner Veltliner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2004 Heidler Gruner Veltliner

by Jenise » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:16 pm

2004 Heidler Gruner Veltliner
Kamptal, Austria $21

This is one of the best young Gru Vee I've had. Full-bodied but not heavy, it has that wonderful minerally nose with notes of green pea, parsley and lettuce along with the fruity-but-not-sweet promise of a just-peeled green banana. On the mid-palate, lemon and sea shells and on the finish, as much white pepper as I've encountered in any white wine in recent memory. All of that's built on near-perfect acidity. There's so much going on that you're encouraged to slip very, very slowly for fear of missing something. Drinks well now, but this one will reward holding.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karol Slisinski

Rank

Just got here

Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:35 am

Poland

Re: WTN: 2004 Heidler Gruner Veltliner

by Karol Slisinski » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:51 am

Are you sure that this is Heidler? Maybe Hiedler? Weingut Hiedler is one of the best wineries in Langenlois (Kamptal), Austria.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:23 am

Karol, you're right. 'I' before 'e'. Hiedler. Loved this wine. And welcome to the forum, I don't recall seeing your name before.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:53 am

I had some Hiedler 2002 Riesling "Steinhaus" that was just splendid. I was introduced to it at the Slanted Door by none other than our friendly host and sommelier, Mark Ellenbogen.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:29 am

My first Hiedler wines go back to the 1997s. The Gruner Veltliner 'Maximum' from '97 is still delicious today. I don't seem to buy much Hiedler (I buy more Hirsch), but I think the Hiedler Gruner Veltliner Thal is one of the best/best value GruVees on the market for ageable, complex white wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:54 am

Jeff said:
I was introduced to it at the Slanted Door

Ah, the famous SD wine list strikes again. Must get back there, and hopefully next time with someone like Stuart or Hoke (or you!) around to make sure I get the royal treatment.

David said:
the Hiedler Gruner Veltliner Thal is one of the best/best value GruVees on the market for ageable, complex white wine.

Thanks for the confirmation. And you remind me to seek out more of the Hirsch--not the Veltliner #1 but something above that, priced around $17. We had it a few months ago with a Vietnames pho style dish topped with beef carpaccio and a spicy cabbage slaw seasoned with fish sauce. The match with the Hirsch was stunning. I know it was every bit as good as this Hiedler was, but I've not seen it around since.