The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Durufle Requiem and Salice Salentino Rosso Taurino Riserva 2001

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

WTN: Durufle Requiem and Salice Salentino Rosso Taurino Riserva 2001

by Paulo in Philly » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:03 am

A great day for my palate, both hard and soft palate - a great work out and a nice reward. Tonight I sang a performance of Durufle's Requiem - I sang with the choir as well as the baritone solos. Accompanying us was the head of the organ department of the Curtis Institute. 8 of us sang the famous Durufle motets prior to the Requiem. Wonderul 20th century composer who used chants upon which he based his famous Requiem. Very singable, ethereal, with wonderful outbursts of emotion. One of my most favorite choral pieces. My solos went well - I did not choke nor did I crack, My breath support worked; my soft palate stretched up high; my throat felt free.

After the concert I went out to dinner with a friend who came to the concert. We went to "Figs" - a wonderful mediterranean BYOB in Fairmount. We enjoyed a baked brie with almonds, a tomatoes and mozzarella salad, and angel hair pasta with chopped tomatoes, spinach and grilled chicken that was to die for. Lush garlic - hmmmmmm.

Nothing like having an easy, round and mellow Salice Salentino to chug down with this food after all the singing I had done all week in preparation for tonight's concert. Deep ruby red - very mellow, and surprisingly not terribly jammy as I thought it would be (thank God!). Tannins low made it ideal to almost quaff. I actually did not bring the wine - my friend did - someone I have trained well wine wise. This deep and full bodied wine went extremely well with what I had for dinner.

Yummm. Life is good.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Durufle Requiem and Salice Salentino Rosso Taurino Riserva 2001

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:00 am

Thanks for your vocal update. Will look for this piece in the library as I am a big fan of choral music (as you know). Still have fond memories of last months Gerontius here in Edmonton.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

Re: WTN: Durufle Requiem and Salice Salentino Rosso Taurino Riserva 2001

by Paulo in Philly » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:40 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Thanks for your vocal update. Will look for this piece in the library as I am a big fan of choral music (as you know). Still have fond memories of last months Gerontius here in Edmonton.

There are various recordings out there of his Requiem with orchestra. The Shaw is very good and the sound is clean and not oversung.

So, you are not going to be able to make it to NiagaraCOOL next weekend, right? :-(