Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chive blossoms

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Chive blossoms

by Marc D » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:13 am

Seems I have an abundance of these right now in the garden. The purple flower breaks up easily into individual florets that have a fairly intense spicy chive flavor, especially when raw. So far I have used the chive blossom as a garnish on salad, which adds a nice color in addition to the flavor, in a spinach and cheese omelette, and tonight as a last second garnish to asparagus risotto which was very tasty. They work well also thrown into stir fry dishes for about the last minute of cooking, they lose a bit of color but aren't quite as intense when eaten raw.

Any other ideas for the chive blossom?
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Chive blossoms

by Bob Ross » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:34 am

They are great with new potatoes or added to steamed asparagus. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:20 pm

At the bud stage, the stalks are excellent sauteed. My favorite prep is to combine them with a similarly sized chinese noodle and toss them with soy sauce, garlic and sesame oil. Makes a great vegetarian main dish or side dish for grilled shrimp.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:16 pm

Nice one!
I've allowed one of my chive pots to go to flower, so might try this out (or just let it seed and harvest for more seedstock, or both)
thanks
Ian