Effect of long term refrigerator storage on wine?

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Effect of long term refrigerator storage on wine?

Postby AlexR » Tue May 30, 2006 6:31 am

I read recently about someone who had a bottle of Champagne whose cork had shrunk and spoiled the wine after long term storage in a refrigerator. Seeing as I keep about a half-dozen bottles chilled at any given time in a refrigerator that is used for virtually nothing else, I was wondering if this was such a wise thing to do...

In your experience, can keeping a wine in a refrigerator for several months have a negative effect?

Furthermore, is the basic principle of a wine storage unit any different than a common refrigerator? Presumably, a standard fridge dries things out, but a cave à vin maintains high humidity...

Best regards,
Alex R.
AlexR
Wine guru

Re: Effect of long term refrigerator storage on wine?

Postby Isaac » Tue May 30, 2006 1:26 pm

On the other hand, I was once given a bottle of Riesling that had been in a refrigerator for 8-10 years, and it was fine. So I don't think that the problem is inherent in refrigerators.
Isaac
Ultra geek

Postby Florida Jim » Tue May 30, 2006 2:49 pm

Recently, my brother opened a magnum of 1978 German riesling that had been in his refrigerator since release. It was fabulous.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
Florida Jim
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Tue May 30, 2006 4:38 pm

Piling on: I once managed to pull a bottle of 90 Trimbach CFE out of the reefer case of a delicatessen--the price was proof that it had been there since release, just buried behind rows of newer stuff stocked in front of it. No cork problems at all and the wine itself was ungodly good.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Return to The Wine Forum