The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 94 Hess Collection Cab and an unexciting Soave

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 94 Hess Collection Cab and an unexciting Soave

by Redwinger » Mon May 29, 2006 11:22 am

1994 Hess Collection Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa
Another orphan from the cellar and it seems that asking this one to go 12 years was asking a bit much. Actually the color was quite vivid and gave little indication of what was to follow. The fruit was quite muted, tannins fully integrated and the oak was firmly in control. Not an overpowering oak-bomb, but there just wasn't enough of the other stuff to balance it out. I suspect this bottle would have shown a lot better 3 or 4 years ago, so my suggestion is that if you have some of this in your cellar, it would be a good idea to drink one sooner than later.

2003 Tamellini Soave
With Pieropan Soave approaching $20 in this area, I decided to seek a more reasonably priced ($13) alternative. This caught my eye and came with the hearty recommendation of a local wine-pusher. Well this was another disappointment. Drinkable, but not inspiring at all. Some sour fruit, but not enough acidity to stop the F-Word* from popping into my mind. Not recommended.

Thanks for listening.

* Flabby
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN: 94 Hess Collection Cab and an unexciting Soave

by Robin Garr » Mon May 29, 2006 11:42 am

Redwinger wrote:Some sour fruit, but not enough acidity to stop the F-Word* from popping into my mind. Not recommended.

Bill, not to defend Tamellini (I'm not familiar with it in any vintage), but note that you've got one of those weird 2003s on your hands there. You might make a mental note not to dismiss them entirely until you've tried the brand from a year with more normal weather. Or not. So many wines, so little time ...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 29, 2006 2:13 pm

Never had an older Hess, but they've always struck me as really good for right now and not wines to age.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Tue May 30, 2006 1:00 am

I opened a '94 Hess Collection Cab back in September '05, and found it to be "pleasantly mature". My brief tasting note indicated mellow and mature, having lost a good deal of its intensity. I don't recall oak being in control.

Bottom line is that I fully agree. If you have any of these hiding in your collection, it's time to enjoy what's left of them.

-- Clark