For October: Oz Shiraz, it's NOT all Gobby Gunk!

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

For October: Oz Shiraz, it's NOT all Gobby Gunk!

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:59 am

This thread has so much good information in it that it deserves to stick at the top of Wine Focus for the month. The specific brand and regional recommendations are as good as a shopping list in our quest for Oz Shiraz that might actually show some complexity or even elegance. This should be an excellent topic, and thanks to all who've already jumped on it.
Last edited by Robin Garr on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Re: Okay, guys, what you like for October?

Postby Jenise » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:28 pm

I'd like to suggest Australian syrah. It's been a long time since we highlighted that wonderful country's output, and a couple of people have gotten a bit snobby about Australian wine as if they're all one big gobby alcoholic mess, which isn't true. Perhaps it's time for a revisit, to remind ourselves how good these wines can be.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:47 pm

Jenise wrote:I'd like to suggest Australian syrah. It's been a long time since we highlighted that wonderful country's output, and a couple of people have gotten a bit snobby about Australian wine as if they're all one big gobby alcoholic mess, which isn't true. Perhaps it's time for a revisit, to remind ourselves how good these wines can be.

Hey, I really like that idea, although I have to confess that I've pretty much fallen back into the "Eeeuuww, Australia, Gobby Gunk" when I pass quickly by that aisle in the wine shop.

Maybe something like, "Oz Shiraz, it's NOT all Gobby Gunk," and then try to share tips on Aussie reds that those of us who use the "Reverse RMP Scale" can love?
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Ian Sutton » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:47 pm

Yup
Certainly something I could play ball with. Craiglee and Best's would certainly be well distanced from the gobby, fruit monsters that caricature the style.
Slightly limited for time as I'll be away from the screen for 2 weeks, but I'm sure we'll find time to crack a bottle or two.

regards

Ian
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:02 am

Robin wrote.........Maybe something like, "Oz Shiraz, it's NOT all Gobby Gunk," and then try to share tips on Aussie reds that those of us who use the "Reverse RMP Scale" can love?

Sounds good to me, does that mean we could look at Grenache for instance or do we stay with Shiraz and blends thereof.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Robin Garr » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:25 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Sounds good to me, does that mean we could look at Grenache for instance or do we stay with Shiraz and blends thereof.

I won't be hard-line about it, but my instinct is that we call this section Wine "Focus" because we usually keep each month's topic narrow rather than wide. Isn't the theory that we improve the educational component when we reduce the number of variables?
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:27 am

Yeah I understand that. I picked up on the word reds so was just wondering! Shiraz is great for me, have quite a collection of non-RMP wines here..Pikes, Thorn-Clark, Kilikanoon, Fifth Leg, Torbreck.
The recent WS had quite a good section on Oz reds that was a fair article I thought.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Robin Garr » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:34 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Pikes, Thorn-Clark, Kilikanoon, Fifth Leg, Torbreck.

Bob, thanks for the list of candidates! I agree with Torbreck - definitely one of the less gobby Shiraz producers ... I had the pleasure of dining with Kim and a few other people when he came through here a year or two ago.

I thought Thorn-Clark was a Parker Special, though ... am I missing out on something good?
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:27 pm

I thought Thorn-Clark was a Parker Special, though

Robin, I am only thinking of the Shotfire Ridge which is a good solid wine. Maybe RMP tasted something else?!!! It gained some good press c/o WS I believe. Nagh, not a huge fruit bomb, just a good shiraz!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Tim York » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:57 am

Yes, I like that idea. The only problem is that it is quite hard here to get other than those gobby industrial suspects, except at one high priced boutique importer on the far side of congested Brussels. Still, I think that this is an excuse to open one or two ageing bottles of quite prestigious names which I have neglected because I did not like their brash youthful showing.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Postby David Lole » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:23 am

I'm more than happy to do a focus on Ausralian Shiraz. I've got a heap languishing in the cellar worth pulling the cork on over the coming month.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jenise.
Cheers,

David
David Lole
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:44 am

Robin Garr wrote: although I have to confess that I've pretty much fallen back into the "Eeeuuww, Australia, Gobby Gunk" when I pass quickly by that aisle in the wine shop.

You made my point perfectly--that's exactly why it needs to be done. Bests, which someone else mentioned, would be a top candidate for proving that finesse and complexity are there and have been there all along.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:45 am

David, will be good to have you around! Throwing names at you, you can tell us which style of fruit bomb the wine is!!!
I am pretty well up on Shiraz as have attended quite a few tastings lately with Oz wines front and foremost.

BTW Ian Sutton from the UK is up on Oz, think he might have a good list for us (wines to look out for).
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Ian Sutton » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:30 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:David, will be good to have you around! Throwing names at you, you can tell us which style of fruit bomb the wine is!!!
I am pretty well up on Shiraz as have attended quite a few tastings lately with Oz wines front and foremost.

BTW Ian Sutton from the UK is up on Oz, think he might have a good list for us (wines to look out for).

Yeth Maaarthter
... just something I knocked up quickly
Some (non-Parkerised style) Oz Shiraz wines to look out for
- Seppelt (across the whole range)
- Alkoomi
- Bannockburn
- Bests
- Brokenwood
- Cape Mentelle
- Clonakilla
- Craiglee
- Dalwhinnie
- Dominique Portet
- Giaconda
- Howard Park
- Leeuwin
- Juniper
- Majella
- Mitchell
- Mitchelton
- Mount Langhi Ghiran
- Mount Horrocks
- Mount Pleasant
- Paringa
- Penfolds Bin 128
- Petaluma
- Plantagenet
- Seville Estate
- Tahbilk
- Taltarni
- Tyrrells
- Vasse Felix
- Wirra Wirra
- Yarra Burn
- Yering Station

and as a wider rule, to veer from the Parker style, it's better to avoid Barossa/McClaren Vale and indeed much of South Australia. Look more for Great Southern/Yarra Valley/Pyrenees/Hunter Valley, or in general Western Australia, Victoria and NSW

These are of course generalisations and is far from being a full list of the best (non-souped up) wineries. Plenty more out there.

Hopefully something handy if folks are out buying in the coming weeks

regards

Ian
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby Jenise » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:43 am

and as a wider rule, to veer from the Parker style, it's better to avoid Barossa/McClaren Vale and indeed much of South Australia. Look more for Great Southern/Yarra Valley/Pyrenees/Hunter Valley, or in general Western Australia, Victoria and NSW

Excellent wider rule. Coonawarra would, I presume, be on your second list?
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Ian Sutton » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:57 pm

Jenise wrote:

Excellent wider rule. Coonawarra would, I presume, be on your second list?

Jenise
In general yes, though (generalising again :oops: ) cabernet is king in Coonawarra, albeit there seems to be more Shiraz emerging these days. Likewise Clare Valley can give a mixture of styles. Some interesting wines also emerging from Adelaide Hills.
regards
Ian
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby Jenise » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:55 pm

Oh, I know about the Cabernet dominance in Coonawarra, it's just that nearly everyone there makes a shiraz, too, and many are very fine. Majella, who I think is a Coonawarra producer, was on your list of good guys and I presume Wynn's would be, too. In fact, I have a 96 Michael that I might open this month.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Otto » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:20 pm

I'll be willing to play along on the Aussie theme! It's not really my favourite area, and Ian's list isn't really available here, but I'll try to find some anyway.

We do have Redbank's Fighting Flat Shiraz '02. I remember from Redbank's Sally's Paddoc '98 that it wasn't a terribly gobby style. Is Redbank also a winery that might belong on your list?

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Postby Ian Sutton » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:50 pm

Otto
I almost put them on the list, but assumed they wouldn't be available internationally!! I've no idea about that particular wine, but recall they sold off a lot of their cheaper labels a while back, so I'd be hopeful that what remained was good.

Of course if you see any Shiraz from Mornington peninsula then jump at it - no chance of overripeness down there :wink: :)

regards

Ian
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:52 pm

I think Adelaide Hills is an area worth watching. Ian, love that list, cheers! Paramba is not on your list but have tasted some nice ones. Just picked up some Vasse Felix Adams Road, think I mentioned that elsewhere here.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:44 am

Ian Sutton wrote:Otto
I almost put them on the list, but assumed they wouldn't be available internationally!! I've no idea about that particular wine, but recall they sold off a lot of their cheaper labels a while back, so I'd be hopeful that what remained was good.

Of course if you see any Shiraz from Mornington peninsula then jump at it - no chance of overripeness down there :wink: :)

regards

Ian

Ian, any ideas on Mount Langi Ghiran, their recent offerings? Tonight, I was able to share a `98 Langi Shiraz with one of the owners of my fave winestore. Brilliant wine and will write up when new focus is officially on. Cost $45 Cdn in `00 here in town.
If I can find something like this for $25 Cdn, watch out.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Jenise » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:33 am

Ian said:
Of course if you see any Shiraz from Mornington peninsula then jump at it - no chance of overripeness down there

The Mornington Peninsula was supposed to be Australia's salvation as far as pinot noir goes. Has it ever materialized?
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:37 am

Ian, I am wondering if one should be looking more at Margaret River? I will try to find a link, think some of your names are from there!

Here you go, goodness me its quite a list..........................!

http://www.mrwines.com/thewine.html
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Ian Sutton » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:52 am

Bob
Interesting to see Cloudy Bay transported across the Tasman Sea! I presume listed through their sister winery Cape Mentelle, but AFAIK, there's no Aussie Cloudy Bay wine.

Their are some very good producers in that list, though like Connawarra, this is Cabernet (rather than Shiraz) territory. That said there's plenty of shiraz there from companies like Voyager; Woody Nook (Shiraz not as impressive as the Cabernet, but the 'Nooky delight' fortified wine is good); Evans & Tate (possible cheap wines here as the company has gone into receivership); Capel Vale; Cape Grace and others no doubt (there's plenty I've not tasted here). Plenty of options and I don't know of any on that list that would be in the Parker mould.

Although pricey, Cullen are a personal favourite, but no Shiraz in the range. Shame no Brown Hill, which is very much an emerging good value winery.

As for Mount Langhi Ghiran, I've not tasted any of their wines for a while, but reckon they're very good, without ever really lighting my fire. I don't doubt their quality though.

Jenise
Yes, the Majella Shiraz is one I'd be keen to try sometime. As for Mornington Peninsula, I've probably preferred the Chardonnays to the Pinot's (at least in the VFM stakes). We did consider a trip round the wineries last time we were there, but ended up going to a few in the Yarra Valley instead. I don't think Mornington Peninsula is proven yet, but nor do I think it's a write-off. I reckon in time there will be a few high quality producers, mixed in with a lot more middling producers.

Hopefully some of the Aussies will pile into this thread as well, as they probably fit in a few more bottles / winery visits / other tastings than I can.

regards

Ian
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Next

Return to Wine Focus