The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN 2004 Gobelsburger GruVee

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN 2004 Gobelsburger GruVee

by Jenise » Thu May 25, 2006 3:09 pm

I sat down to write a TN on this wine (over on Netscape), then spied Otto's comments on the same wine. His note captures it so well there's almost no reason for me to write my own now but to add the significant presence of white pepper on the finish when the wine warmed to room temp, and to add that it has a richness that made me re-check the label to verify that it was a 2004 and not some three to five years older. Delicious--I'm going to go buy the rest of what my retailer stocked on this one today.

Otto's note: 2004 Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner Renner - Austria, Langenlois (5/4/2006) 17,55 euros 13% abv Slightly gold tinged. A pungent nose, very mineral but with fine fruit evident as well. There is that typical GV hint of acacia honey and dirt which almost smells like botrytis (which funkoholics like me love, which I suppose is what some tasters mean by the scent of wool in GV?!) and a touch of white pepper. The palate is also as typical GV as can be with exactly the same elements in evidence as on the nose; intense acidity which is ripe and almost floral in nature. Very long and very good.

Oh, and a question: Otto's note includes the word "Renner", but that word isn't anywhere on my bottle. Did we have different wines, however close his description was to what I tasted?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: WTN 2004 Gobelsburger GruVee

by Mark Lipton » Thu May 25, 2006 10:49 pm

Jenise wrote:Oh, and a question: Otto's note includes the word "Renner", but that word isn't anywhere on my bottle. Did we have different wines, however close his description was to what I tasted?

Ried Renner is a vineyard, so if your bottle didn't say it on the label, you probably had the (cheaper) "Gobelsburg" bottling (usually $12-14 IME). Schloss Gobelsburg is making some pretty fantastic GV these days.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 26, 2006 10:23 am

Mark, thanks; glad I asked.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Fri May 26, 2006 11:53 am

Hi Jenise,

I was very impressed with the 04 Gruner Steinsetz from Gobelsburg. I wonder if your retail person could obtain any of the Steinsetz and Renner GV's? I would certainly be interested in buying some. The 3 bottles of the Steinsetz I bought didn't last very long. I ordered them from CA, but I'm done ordering wine that has to be shipped for the summer.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 26, 2006 12:20 pm

Marc, I bought this Gobelsberger at one of Haggens which had a special little display of Austrian wines, so they're in our distribution system. I'm going to go back today to check on what else they had. The German PG came from there, too. I'll let you know what I find.

Meant to do all this yesterday, but I was down at Bellingham Tech with an 84 foot boom truck...did you go to the Welding Rodeo?
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Fri May 26, 2006 1:12 pm

Missed the welders, I've been stuck at work and some home projects this week. It looked like a great show. I am off today and we are going to check out the new chef at Nimbus tonight. We had another great meal at Flats last week, did you know they offer corkage for $5?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri May 26, 2006 5:16 pm

Jenise, I'm flattered! Gobelsburg is fantastic, I've been meaning to type up for the 101 a few other notes from a tasting, but haven't yet gotten around to it. They even made a good 2003: GV Eiswein!!! As was said, it's a vineyard (and apparently a frigging fantastic one).
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 26, 2006 6:49 pm

The show was great, both uplifting for what they were trying to do and impressive for what they accomplished. I found a couple things I couldn't live without. Go next year, if you can.

No, didn't know about the new corkage policy at Flats! I tried to talk Rick into that awhile back, but he wasn't quite ready so soon after opening to see the possible benefits.

Let me know what you think of Nimbus.