The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Netscape Forum Poll: Tetra Pak okay for modest wine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Netscape Forum Poll: Tetra Pak okay for modest wine?

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:47 pm

Simple, inexpensive wines are starting to turn up in Tetra Pak, the squarish, coated cardboard containers more familiar for fruit juices. Advocates like the casual informality and light weight of the Tetra Pak; some more conservative wine lovers consider it undignified, or fear that even modest wines won't keep well in a disposable package. Where do you stand? You don't have to have experience with Tetra Paks to vote; we're interested in sampling wine lovers' reactions to the concept, even if you haven't yet run across it.

<b>Click here to vote</b>
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Netscape Forum Poll: Tetra Pak okay for modest wine?

by John Treder » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:49 pm

It's a disposable package; it isn't expected to keep.

BTW, is a "modest" wine defined as one that wears long skirts and a head covering?
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:59 pm

Last summer while on vacation in Florida, we found some wine packaged like that in a Target. It was convenient for a trip to a beach park that prohibited glass bottles, and then we sipped the last two 'boxes' in the airport while awaiting our flight home. That was before the current ban on liquids, so that scenario would be hard to duplicate now. But if you just want a decent everyday wine where bottles aren't convenient, then it seems like a good idea.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:19 pm

Kinda hard to sniff at what the Eeyooropeens have been buying for some years now, innit? And in copious quantities too.

It's a container. It holds wine. It is easy to open and pour the wine, so you can drink it. It does the job it is designed to do. That's good enough for me.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:19 am

Hoke wrote:Kinda hard to sniff at what the Eeyooropeens have been buying for some years now, innit? And in copious quantities too.

It's a container. It holds wine. It is easy to open and pour the wine, so you can drink it. It does the job it is designed to do. That's good enough for me.

All makes sense to me, although - as with box wine - the GIGO principle continues to apply, as will become more evident when I post a couple of TNs with today's <I>30 Second Wine Advisor</I>. Bottom line, there's a lot of insipid wine in boxes, jugs and now Tetra Paks, but there's no use in blaming the package for the producer's marketing decision.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:35 am

there's a lot of insipid wine in boxes, jugs and now Tetra Paks

There's also a lot of insipid wine in bottles complete with cork.

As you say, don't blame the package.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:02 pm

John - Santa Clara wrote:there's a lot of insipid wine in boxes, jugs and now Tetra Paks

There's also a lot of insipid wine in bottles complete with cork.

As you say, don't blame the package.

All true, John, but in fairness, I'll assert that boxes, jugs and Tetra Paks <i>disproportionately</i> contain wine that's not of great interest to wine geeks, simply because the mass-market has adopted these formats for "industrial" wines.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:08 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Simple, inexpensive wines are starting to turn up in Tetra Pak, the squarish, coated cardboard containers more familiar for fruit juices. Advocates like the casual informality and light weight of the Tetra Pak; some more conservative wine lovers consider it undignified, or fear that even modest wines won't keep well in a disposable package. Where do you stand?

For modest wine - yes, I'm all for it. We buy milk, cream, fruit juice, stocks and other liquids and sauces in tetra packs, so why not wine.
Just so long as it clearly states the contents - and the use by date.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:12 pm

Agreed.

Yet, for picnic wine, sure, why not?
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:43 pm

Dallas, TX

by RonicaJM » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:30 pm

When we lived in Argentina for 6 months about 3-4 years ago we regularly drank wine in this type of container. My husband being the avid 2 buck chuck wine drinker was in heaven since is cost about $1 a box. :)
In vino veritas...