Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Bottled Water

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Bottled Water

by Howie Hart » Mon May 22, 2006 3:19 pm

ChefCarey wrote:.... I never had any problem drinking the water .... and on one occasion paddy water in Vietnam.

Ahh... good old agent orange in that water. The VA has determined that the agent orange I was exposed to may have caused my Type II diabetes. Didn't have rice paddies where I was (mountains up north), but I did drink a lot water from stream run-off in areas the were defoliated.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Mon May 22, 2006 5:29 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Joseph, the question to always ask is, since the introduction of substance xxx, has life expectancy gone up or down? In the case of fluoridation, the answer is unequivocal- it's gone up, concommitant with a decrease in, ahh, um, caries. (that was a terrible pun)

Stuart,
Reminds me of a cartoon in the New Yorker a week or two ago. These two cavemen were talking about the air so pure, the water so clean, only eating organinc and natural and getting so much excercise. The caption was "so why do we only live to 30?"

There are only two reasons to read the New Yorker, one is cartoons and two is Bush bashing, they are brutal.

Walt
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon May 22, 2006 6:00 pm

ChefCarey wrote:Gasp, you mean there are fewer of us because of flouridation? Hey, wait a minute, that might not be a bad thing!

Nah--Stuart was saying that there is a decrease in the incidence of dental caries. So fewer of your relatives are becoming dentists.

On the subject of flouridated water: I wonder what the relative rates of death are from complications associated with tooth infections versus flooride-induced osteosarcoma?

I'm actually more worried about all that dihydrogen oxide present in both bottled water and tap water. Dihydrogen oxide intoxication is responsible for many more deaths each year than flouride and caries combined! Yet nobody is doing anything about it. I suspect a conspiracy backed by the soft drink companies and other big businesses who have it as an ingredient in their products.

-Paul W. (just because you're paranoid doesn't mean the aren't out to get you)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon May 22, 2006 11:27 pm

Dihydrogen oxide is definitely dangerous, possibly because of its chemical bond angle of 108 degrees and unusual physical properties. If confined, it can become explosive when sufficiently heated or cooled, as many people have discovered to their sorrow.

In fact, some years ago, the brother of a girl I was dating died from excessive dihydrogen oxide. They found his body at the bottom of a dam near my (future) wife's house in Pennsylvania.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon May 22, 2006 11:31 pm

I'm not sure she is right, Joe. See for example:

http://www.pacificmagazine.net/pm72003/ ... cleid=0014

The label makes the same claim basically.

Moreover, all the RO waters I've tasted have lacked the "roundness" that you mention and that Janet loves.

I should say that I like water very, very cold, under 40F, so I don't really taste it. But Janet drinks hers at 65F or warmer, and at those temps I would drink Fiji as well.

Poland Springs at 65F is very good, but really not much cheaper, at least in my area.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Tue May 23, 2006 12:36 am

Larry Greenly wrote:Dihydrogen oxide is definitely dangerous, possibly because of its chemical bond angle of 108 degrees and unusual physical properties. If confined, it can become explosive when sufficiently heated or cooled, as many people have discovered to their sorrow.

In fact, some years ago, the brother of a girl I was dating died from excessive dihydrogen oxide. They found his body at the bottom of a dam near my (future) wife's house in Pennsylvania.

Well, I don't care. I take in large amounts of the stuff every day and I will continue to do so. Besides, without dihydrogen oxide, there is no coffee and without coffee, there is no life!
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue May 23, 2006 1:11 am

I just hope you never choke on it, what with that chemical bond angle it has. Sounds kind of obtuse.

I think I'm going to drink a Beck's now, even though it's loaded with that dangerous stuff (I've occasionally felt pretty rotten the next morning, but hopefully I might be building up a tolerance--like they do with snake venom).
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue May 23, 2006 8:20 am

Howie Hart wrote:
ChefCarey wrote:.... I never had any problem drinking the water .... and on one occasion paddy water in Vietnam.

Ahh... good old agent orange in that water. The VA has determined that the agent orange I was exposed to may have caused my Type II diabetes. Didn't have rice paddies where I was (mountains up north), but I did drink a lot water from stream run-off in areas the were defoliated.

Spent most of my time in one of the most heavily defoliated areas of Vietnam - around Cu Chi, where they were trying to expose all the tunnels we were sitting right on top if. Worked as a combat photographer/correspondent out of headquarters, 25th Infrantry Division.

Should anyone be interested in what it looked like go to:

http://www.25thida.com/TLN/

You can browse the division newspapers of the era there. I have several bylined photos scattered throughout 1967-68.

And should you give a flying fig what I looked like, click on "Correspondents and Photographers" on that page. Age has definitely withered me and something has staled my infinite variety.

I went to the VA for the agent orange physical and they couldn't find anything they said was agent orange-related wrong with me - or my body anyway.[/url]
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue May 23, 2006 8:51 am

Those of you who can spell, stop already with the "Infrantricide" jokes. :)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 23, 2006 8:56 am

A friend of mine was in the 25th ID (68-69), the same Btn and same time as Oliver Stone, but different Co. He didn't know that until he went to see "Platoon" with his wife and told her everything that was going to happen next. :?
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue May 23, 2006 9:53 am

Howie Hart wrote:A friend of mine was in the 25th ID (68-69), the same Btn and same time as Oliver Stone, but different Co. He didn't know that until he went to see "Platoon" with his wife and told her everything that was going to happen next. :?

Yeah, I think my time overlapped Oliver Stone's. Odd we never met, there were just about 20,000 of us. :) Ordinarily, the 25th would have been a good assignment, since they were based in Hawaii - just my luck Vietnam happened. Oh, except for December 7, 1941 when they were the first army division attacked during WW II.

Took me a while to go see Platoon. When I finally did, turned out I liked it.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue May 23, 2006 10:12 am

Bob Ross wrote:I'm not sure she is right, Joe. See for example:

http://www.pacificmagazine.net/pm72003/ ... cleid=0014

The label makes the same claim basically.

Moreover, all the RO waters I've tasted have lacked the "roundness" that you mention and that Janet loves.

I should say that I like water very, very cold, under 40F, so I don't really taste it. But Janet drinks hers at 65F or warmer, and at those temps I would drink Fiji as well.

Poland Springs at 65F is very good, but really not much cheaper, at least in my area.

Regards, Bob

Bob, how many wine makers fess up to RO? :wink:

I'm not sure if she is right, but she's an expert so I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt until I can confirm later... next time I see her (what's the next big French Canadian holiday?) I'll ask for more information...

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue May 23, 2006 1:50 pm

I seldom drink bottled still water except when traveling (at home we use a Brita). I like Volvic, but probably grab PS the most as it's more available.

I'm a pretty heavy consumer of sparkling water, but mostly store brand or other basic (Vintage brand) seltzer. But we do keep better sparkling around. My favorite is Badoit, but it's very expensive, and one can no longer find in glass. So generally we keep San Pellogrino (for a more zippy carbonation) and Gerolsteiner (for when I'm in a more minerally mood).
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue May 23, 2006 2:44 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Dihydrogen oxide is definitely dangerous, possibly because of its chemical bond angle of 108 degrees and unusual physical properties. If confined, it can become explosive when sufficiently heated or cooled, as many people have discovered to their sorrow.

Indeed, over 2/3 of the Earth's surface is uninhabitable by humans because of excessive levels of dihydrogen oxide there.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 23, 2006 8:14 pm

Doug Surplus wrote: Besides, without dihydrogen oxide, there is no coffee and without coffee, there is no life!

Coffee is life on Arakis.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 23, 2006 8:56 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Dihydrogen oxide....

I've read that hydrogen hydroxide has very similar properties. :wink:
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue May 23, 2006 9:05 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Doug Surplus wrote: Besides, without dihydrogen oxide, there is no coffee and without coffee, there is no life!

Coffee is life on Arakis.

That's why they wear Stillsuits - constant peeing.
Previous