The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A White Burg and a CdP and Dinner at Gramercy Tavern

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: A White Burg and a CdP and Dinner at Gramercy Tavern

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon May 22, 2006 4:00 pm

Whenever I had planned to go to Gramercy Tavern, it was always pushed aside in favor of a newer, trendier place. While I was anxious to sample the cooking of the new chef at 11 Madison Park, or replicate an amazing dinner that we had at Cru last summer, or see if Chanterelle was still offering an ethereal breast of duck or the delectable tuna poached in olive oil from a recent dinner, I chose dinner at Gramercy Tavern to celebrate my birthday this past weekend. It was an excellent choice.

We started with a 2001 Etienne Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet Les Perrieres, which was poured while we were being served a couple of tastes from the kitchen. First up was a crostini with a puree of white beans next to a black olive tapenade, followed by a salad of micro greens with cubes of Pecorino. The wine was tight at first, but opened up nicely in the glass with minerals and apricots with a light citrus finish. It was incredible with the bites of Pecorino. We continued with the wine for our appetizers of oyster stew, roasted sweetbreads, and seared scallops.

Our next wine was a 1999 Clos du Caillou Les Quartz Chateuaneuf du Pape – a nice balance of fruit, earth, and game and an especially wonderful match to my husband’s entrée of seared sirloin with short ribs in a beef consomme and accompanied by spaetzle. The wine also worked well with our “meaty” fish choices, especially my monkfish wrapped in pancetta. A cheese plate was ordered to finish up the wine, and then desserts, with the winner being a chocolate pecan tart with vanilla ice cream. The chocolate mousse cake and caramel ice cream, while delicious, was no competition for the chocolate tart. A plate heaping with cookies and “happy birthday” written in chocolate sauce was a lovely touch. More sweets, and a blueberry muffin to take home was a nice conclusion to our stellar dinner.
Diane
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN: A White Burg and a CdP and Dinner at Gramercy Tavern

by Robin Garr » Mon May 22, 2006 5:15 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:I chose dinner at Gramercy Tavern to celebrate my birthday this past weekend. It was an excellent choice.

Happy birthday, Diane! Gramercy Park is one of those classics - sort of like Union Square - that just keeps on keeping on.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon May 22, 2006 8:47 pm

Thanks for notes. I DO like Sauzet. And 1999 CdPs seem to really fit a niche for earlier drinking.

Gramercy Tavern is so ....fun. Not that food is outrageously exciting, but it's comfort food - for foodies. And service and atmosphere is as damn close to perfect (yet not stiff) as it can be.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon May 22, 2006 9:47 pm

Happy birthday, Diane! Gramercy Park is one of those classics - sort of like Union Square - that just keeps on keeping on.[/quote]

Thanks, Robin. "Sort of like Union Square", but a notch classier.
Diane
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon May 22, 2006 9:51 pm

Gramercy Tavern is so ....fun. Not that food is outrageously exciting, but it's comfort food - for foodies. And service and atmosphere is as damn close to perfect (yet not stiff) as it can be.[/quote]

The service was impeccable. I brought the wines, and they were handled beautifully. When we entered and gave our name, the hostess offered to hand the wines over to the sommelier. They couldn't have been nicer.
Diane
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:13 am

Gramercy Tavern is my favorite NYC restaurant (not that I've tried them all of course).
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:52 am

Diane, are you the lady that plays the cello? If so, when is that CD ready?!!
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:03 am

Bob - I take that as a compliment, but that would be Dale's wife, Betsy. The amusing thing is, you are not the only one to confuse us.

I never mentioned this to Dale, but at a NYC Volnay offline, one of the participants stopped me on my way out, and asked if I was the cellist. I told him I wish I were, but I pointed out Betsy to him.

If she has a recording coming out, I would certainly be on the lookout for it.
Diane
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:34 pm

What a dinner, Diane, sounds like you celebrated in style. Happy Birthday!

Sauzet is one of my favorite white burgundy producers, and your description helps me understand why--it's that apricot note you mention, which I hadn't figured out before. That kind of minerally stone fruit tang always puts a spell on me.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov