The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

To Paul B. (and anyone who cares to read the post)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

To Paul B. (and anyone who cares to read the post)

by Thomas » Sun May 21, 2006 2:46 pm

Please stop sending your Canadian weather to NY. :(
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Cohen

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:46 pm

Ballston Lake, NY (upstate)

Re: To Paul B. (and anyone who cares to read the post)

by Bob Cohen » Sun May 21, 2006 2:51 pm

<sigh> over here (just north of Albany) it's been raining - yet again - almost all day. Though the sun just teased with a brief a ppearance a few minutes ago.

Soggy and too cool.
--Bob
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon May 22, 2006 5:07 pm

Thomas! If you only knew ... I went camping this weekend with a bunch of buddies and we had everything - I mean everything: drizzle, rain, hail, wet snow, cold wind and no more than an hour of sunshine the whole weekend. This is nuts for the end of May. If things don't warm up soon, I'm afraid this might turn out to be a poor vintage for us!
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon May 22, 2006 7:01 pm

Paul,

I am told we are coming out of this crappy weather on Wednesday. As John Z pointed out earlier, we need a lot of elevated degree days and fast.

As for plants, I've got a cold frame full of vegetable seedlings clinging to the plastic door and sides begging for light and warmth. And, I've got a bunch of fruit trees with various leaf problems that I cannot help because it's too cold to spray neem oil.

The vineyards are at least semi-dromant--way late, but not in danger.

Anyway, all of this is Canada's fault. I must believe that or I would have no excuse for remaining in this part of the states... ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Mon May 22, 2006 7:25 pm

1st we take the weather, then we take Lord Stanley's cup-----------Go SABRES!

Seriously Thomas, if we have a warm summer is this cool Spring overcomable? I mean is a great vintage out of reach?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon May 22, 2006 8:04 pm

Ed,

A great vintage is never out of reach--just ask the Bordelais, who have a vintage of the century every other year...

It all depends on degree days. One of the marvels of plants like grapevines is how they can catch up, or compensate. Last year was one of those examples. I remember potential frost in May, and a late start in the bud break. But, the season heated up and the degree days built up so much that vines caught up and compensated for the late start.

The potential problem for this year may be less heat and more water. We have had a lot of dampness but not a lot of rain. However, dampness through the whole season also means no sun, and no sun means poor development and poor maturity. 2004 was like that.

I guess this is a long-winded response just to say that it's too early to tell anything about the vintage.
Thomas P