The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Château du Tertre

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

WTN: 2002 Château du Tertre

by Howard » Sun May 21, 2006 7:40 pm

• 2002 Château du Tertre - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (5/21/2006)
    Nice deep purply red. Some forest floor aromas, cassis, red fruits and a little barnyard (not unpleasant). Very soft tannins, decent acidity nice finish. Drunk without food but I think this would be great with steak or burgers.

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: 2002 Château du Tertre

by Jenise » Mon May 22, 2006 10:52 am

Howard, haven't had the 02 (heck, I've hardly had any 02's), but du Tertre is one of those good names for us who like aromatic, rustic, and traditional Bordeauxs.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon May 22, 2006 7:48 pm

Thanks! I've liked both the vintage and the house so I'm looking forward to trying this.

Any truth to the rumour I've heard - Rolland has become involved with this house? Doesn't sound like it from this note, and doesn't taste like it from some of the older vintages I've had...
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon May 22, 2006 8:38 pm

I haven't heard anything about Rolland at du Tertre. But certainly in mid to late 90s there were some changes at du Tertre. A more modern wine. One can debate whether that is good or bad, but for my tastes results have been mostly positive. I'm sure they use more new oak than before, but it doesn't seem intrusive at all (at least in the '98-'01 versions - I own a couple bottles of '02 but don't think I've tried yet). Ch. du Tertre seems to have good terroir that they haven't always used well. I've had nice examples of older vintages ('79, '82, ,83), but in some years big disappointments. While I probably would be classified as a traditionalist, if I had to be put in a camp (I don't buy new versions of Pavie or Smith Haut Lafite), the newer du Tertre seems pretty tasty to me.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Mon May 22, 2006 11:49 pm

Jenise,
You may recall it was your recommendation (as it has been so often) that caused me to buy this wine. I opened this one with my brother in law who has, until recently, been a big fan of EstanciaSilverOakCaliCabincorporated. He is gradually coming around. :wink:
Howard
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Mon May 22, 2006 11:53 pm

Dale,
The oak was certainly non-intrusive, really it was well integrated as a support structure rather than a key element by itself. Probably not chips, eh? :P
Howard
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed May 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I'm sure they use more new oak than before, but it doesn't seem intrusive at all (at least in the '98-'01 versions - I own a couple bottles of '02 but don't think I've tried yet).

Thanks for the info. I rather liked the 98 I recently had, and as you say it didn't have prominent oakiness to it. But though initially it was pleasantly shitty, it dissipated really quickly - just after a couple swirls. What was left was pleasant, fairly restrained Bordeaux in a mid-modernist mold. This is the sort of modernism I don't mind at all. (Though I would of course like for the shit to stay a bit longer in the glass...)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: WTN: 2002 Château du Tertre

by David Creighton » Wed May 24, 2006 4:31 pm

glad to hear it is doing well. at the january '05 union of grand cru tasting in chicago it was one of my favorites - one of the big successes of the vintage IMO. - very elegant, very margaux
david creighton