WTN: 2005 Domaine Tempier Bandol

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 2005 Domaine Tempier Bandol

Postby JC (NC) » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:24 pm

Sneaking in one more rose' wine I found in my wine storage unit. A half bottle priced at $14.99 (sale price) at Macarthur Beverages in DC where prices tend to run a bit higher than norms. Kermit Lynch import.
Pale salmon color. Subtle rhubarb on palate. Presents as completely dry.

On the second evening the rhubarb has morphed into strawberry-rhubarb and the wine seems fruitier. Didn't get to finish the last glass as a gnat(?) invaded the glass while I was in the kitchen. Nasty gnat. Guess he chose to commit suicide in a winey grave.

I don't have any Albarino on hand but liked one from Rias Baixas that I had at a Spanish wine tasting last April. May look for one on my next visit to Raleigh. Notes from April tasting follow:

2. Pazo Serantellos Albarino, DO Rias Baixas
I was interested in trying this Albarino. It was a deeper green gold color that the Cava. It reminded me a bit of Muscadet and would be a good accompaniment to oysters, mussels, perhaps clams. Albarinos are known for flinty minerality and zippy acidity. This is from the region of Galicia just north of Portugal. The landscape there is said to be very green as in Ireland or Scotland and quite unlike the arid, dry mesa in some parts of Spain.
JC (NC)
Lifelong Learner

Re: WTN: 2005 Domaine Tempier Bandol

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:49 pm

JC, with the Pazo, which distinct fruits appealed to you? I was interested in your Muscadet quote, looking forward to the Pazo Senorans I have just purchased!!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby JC (NC) » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:16 am

Bob, that is all my notes contained about the Albarino. It was my second favorite wine of the night of four Spanish whites and four reds. I didn't like the particular selection of reds all that much but do like many Spanish reds (mainly tempranillo-based which has been under discussion on the Wine Forum).

If I get to Raleigh in the next couple weeks and pick up an Albarino, I will try to note fruit or other distinctive flavors. Mainly I was aware of its crispness and minerality and refreshing quality.
JC (NC)
Lifelong Learner

Postby Jenise » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:59 am

Didn't get to finish the last glass as a gnat(?) invaded the glass while I was in the kitchen. Nasty gnat. Guess he chose to commit suicide in a winey grave.

JC, this made me laugh. The occasional fruit fly gets into our glasses here, and for me, like you, that's the end of the glass. My husband, however, and every other guy I know, will just fish the thing out and keep on going.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Alan A. » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:23 pm

Jenise wrote:
Didn't get to finish the last glass as a gnat(?) invaded the glass while I was in the kitchen. Nasty gnat. Guess he chose to commit suicide in a winey grave.

JC, this made me laugh. The occasional fruit fly gets into our glasses here, and for me, like you, that's the end of the glass. My husband, however, and every other guy I know, will just fish the thing out and keep on going.

Gnats? They don't drink much. Extract, flick, continue drinking! :lol:

BTW - if you are queasy about gnats getting in your wine, you shouldn't visit a winery crush pad during the harvest. :twisted:
Alan A.
Wine geek

Postby Jenise » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:34 pm

Alan, done that! I almost climbed in the vat to prevent Brian Loring from dumping his grapes on top of several dead ear wigs, to no avail. "More protein!", he said, laughing at me.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby JC (NC) » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:55 pm

So true about guys. A Catholic and fraternity brother of my brother-in-law was at an outdoor beer party when he exclaimed "There's a fly in my beer!" One of the brothers replied "That's okay. It's not Friday."
JC (NC)
Lifelong Learner

Postby Jenise » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:11 pm

JC, that's HILARIOUS. That story will surely get retold next time we're barbecuing with some Catholic friends.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:04 pm

Jenise wrote:The occasional fruit fly gets into our glasses here, and for me, like you, that's the end of the glass. My husband, however, and every other guy I know, will just fish the thing out and keep on going.

Didn't we have a Voting Booth and long discussion on this topic once?

Ah, here's the story ...

The voting booth results seem to have gone down the long road that has no turning, though.
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Jenise » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:27 pm

That scene has played out a thousand times at my house....

Maybe we should conduct a new poll--but this time make it gender specific. I'm pretty sure I already know how the results are going to go, but let's have some proof.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:51 pm

Jenise wrote:Maybe we should conduct a new poll--but this time make it gender specific. I'm pretty sure I already know how the results are going to go, but let's have some proof.

Great idea! I'll post it now. :)
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Return to Wine Focus