The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Many good (B+) wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Many good (B+) wines

by Dale Williams » Fri May 19, 2006 10:13 pm

I just use grades as a form of shorthand. As noted in my disclaimer, I make no claims of consistency. So grades from a big tasting show my preferences within the evening, and a B+ from a wine that went up against up A wines like '75 Evanglie or '78 Haut-Brion isn't neccessarily the same as a B+ within a night of say Dry Creek Chenins. Recently I wrote up this weeks wines (minus the incredible Tuesday), and noted to myself with amusement that I gave all the wines a B+.

So here are 4 disparate wines, all with a B+ score, all worth buying in my opinion:

With a Moroccan pork kebab (grilled with grapes!), carrot salad with harissa, and brown rice, the 2004 Pinon "Cuvée Tradition" Vouvray. Nice acidity, very food-friendly, with just a touch of appley sweetness. A hint of wax, good citrus and apple fruit, chalky finish. The Loire-heads have declared this one sub-standard, but not for my tastes. Good though not great QPR. B+

With Betsy away in NC for concerts and recording, I did the best I could:

2000 Catherine and Claude Marechal "Cuvee Gravel" Bourgogne
This was one of the first wines I bought because of the internet, but I drank through my stash couple years ago. On a whim I bought a few "Jean Marechal Bourgogne" as case-fillers at Sokolin for $10 this spring. Next day I berated myself ("dammit Dale, you know how much first names mean in Burgundy!"), but imagine my delight when it turned out to be the C & C Gravel! Nice funky/earthy Burgundy nose, bright red cherry and raspberry fruit, clean finish. There's a note on the nose I can't put my finger on, but I know it's associated with Betsy's gardening- I think this is "bone meal", but I'm a gardening illiterate. Nice balanced wine- good fruit, clean bright acidity, just enough fine tannins to give structure. Hmmmm, what else do I need from Sokolin to justify buying a couple more of these? Good match with some hamburgers in a red wine and mushroom sauce. B+

2004 Pepiere (Marc Olivier) Muscadet
Minerals and citrus fruit, rocks and apples, chalk and lemon. I think I've used all those before for this wine. Beautiful clean wine. Shockingly good match with some San Daniele proscuitto. B+, but like the Marechal a solid A for value.

2001 Bourgneuf (Pomerol)
Red plum fruit, a little cassis, ripe tannins and a little herbaceousness on nose. The herb notes morph into smoke & spice. Medium bodied, lacking the textural lushness of a great Pomerol, but this is pretty good for $20. Good match with rosemaried-grilled lamb chops and squash. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Last edited by Dale Williams on Thu May 25, 2006 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: TN: Many good (B+) wines

by Florida Jim » Sat May 20, 2006 4:50 am

Dale Williams wrote:2004 Pepiere (Marc Olivier) Muscadet
Minerals and citrus fruit, rocks and apples, chalk and lemon. I think I've used all those before for this wine. Beautiful clean wine. Shockingly good match with some San Daniele proscuitto. B+, but like the Marechal a solid A for value.

I have been through a case and a half of this wine since release and every bottle is as good as you say. The ultimate no-brainer.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 21, 2006 2:00 pm

Muscadet and proscuitto? Now there's a non-intuitive match.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Sun May 21, 2006 10:08 pm

I was finally able to find one of Jim Cowan's recommendations in my area. It was as advertised thought I had previously found another '04 Muscadet that I thought was noteworthy in the Domaine de la Batardiere. Seems to have even more of what you liked in the Pepiere. We served this wine in wine class a few weeks ago, along with the la Quilla with fresh NC pan seared rainbow trout. It was one of the most amazing wine-food pairings I've ever seen. The Muscadets were showing like a 1st Cru Burgundy and the trout like scrod or mahi. Everybody wins when you get it right. I do think the de la Batardiere is worth a look if you can find it.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon May 22, 2006 9:47 am

Muscadet and proscuitto? Now there's a non-intuitive match.

You think? Different regions sure, but they're both often typecast as salty meal starters, and I can see them going well (not that I eat much proscuitto or anything...)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon May 22, 2006 8:50 pm

Non-intuitive region-wise maybe. But I've always found crisp whites the best match with proscuitto. But this was less thought out- more like "I'm having this great Muscadet, what the hell is there to munch on in fridge?"
:)

Richard, don't know that Muscadet, will add to list.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue May 23, 2006 12:12 pm

I've enjoyed the Pinon Vouvray quite a bit myself, Dale, though I'm not positive it was the '04. Agree also on the crisp-white-with-prosciutto rationale, though I wouldn't have thought Muscadet without your prompting. Makes sense and sounds wonderful.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed May 24, 2006 10:31 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on Bourgneuf, Dale. I bit on the Sherry-Lehmann promo and bought a case. It's sitting in a lake in our basement with my 2003 Lynch Moussas. My wine room is full. Good thing both wines are cheap; I won't hold them for an investment. Nobody would touch either after viewing the condition of the labels, if they sit in the water much longer.

The 1997 was herbaceous, too. I think I wrote it up on the Forum when I drank my last one. Lynn said herbaceous; I said slate/mineral - like rocks in a forest stream. Lynn didn't like it much; I loved it. Good thing she relies on me for remembering the wines; she doesn't often; otherwise she would have been pi--ed when the case of 2001s arrived at her office. Maybe I will like this one as much as the 1997. :)